Anybody here into martial arts?

BusaBill

Donating Member
Registered
I've been studying MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) for about 18 years now. Achieved my first black belt in Tae Kwon Do then moved on to Muay Thai and Brazilian Ju Jitsu. I've also done some traditional american boxing, Roman Greco wrestling and weapons training. Anybody else share these interests and what type of experience do you have? Fight in any tournaments?

I take and actually now instruct a Korean Martial art by the name of Kuk Moo, (World Total Martial Arts). We are a mixture of Tae Kwon Do, Hap Ki Do, Ju Do and some Kick Boxing techniques. Haven't done any tournaments.

Our practice ws invented by a Tae Kwon Do grand master that moved from Seoul to here in Calgary.

Used to do a lot of Muay Thai but since enlisting in military and raising a family it has fallen to background. Need to get back into it and some grappling style as well.

Muay Thai
did some of that
thought by one of Master chi's students
here in OR
did it for a year and some boxing and some Tae Kwon do for another year
haven't do much in the last 3 yrs
had a motorcycle accident and stopped
i never started agian
whish i would of stuck with it
wold of been a real fighter by now
sad.gif

ThrasherFox is an instructor.
Actually just a student instructor. I do not have my black belt as of yet.

In any of the martial arts I have studied. I think I have a mental block or something. Have not stayed with one style long enough either because I moved, or the instructor moved.

Currently just a brown belt in Shorinji-Taegar-Kenpo-Jujutsu studying under Master Instructor 6th degree Michael Constantin http://www.awolfandc.com

I have studied various other styles, but I would consider my second style is Kung Fu San Soo. I trained under Al Ruben who was student to Jimmy Woo the grand master of San Soo

Cant find a main site for the style, but here is an instructor from Monterey. This gives a good description of the style http://www.redshift.com/~mjacobi/

My instructor I have been told died many years ago.

Anyway, just wanted to set the record straight that I am not a black belt or anything like that. Just a simple peasant
smile.gif

<!--EDIT|thrasherfox
Reason for Edit: None given...|1082259222 -->

banner_Ron.jpg

I got my Blackbelt in Okinawan Shurin Kempo many many years ago, instructor left and I went into Tae Kwon Do, talk about a change... I couldnt break old habits so I sucked at Tae Kwon Do. Shurin Kemp consist of a lot of hand arts, wrist pins and joint manipulations..... Tae Kwon Do having a lot of kicks and aerial kicks threw me off. I coundt make the change...... Now im just fat and carry a handgun everywhere
biggrin.gif

That works also.. why train in martial arts when you can just kick em in the nuts
face7.gif

I still love that scene in raiders of the lost arc (or one of those) where the big guy comes out swinging these two swords around and Harrison Ford basically says to himself F' this and pulls a gun out and shoots him lol

My Martial arts instructor has a concieled weapons permit. His attitude is why break a sweat when you can just plug em with lead

That works also.. why train in martial arts when you can just kick em in the nuts  
face7.gif

I still love that scene in raiders of the lost arc (or one of those) where the big guy comes out swinging these two swords around and Harrison Ford basically says to himself F' this and pulls a gun out and shoots him lol

My Martial arts instructor has a concieled weapons permit. His attitude is why break a sweat when you can just plug em with lead
I remember the scene Trasher....first "Raiders" .

I know what ya mean about the permit an' all...

I Just pepper-spray them road ragers....hee hee hee

I'm a secod degree black belt in American Karate. For those of you who do not know what American Karate is, it is mostly in Texas and is a mixture of many forms of martial arts, I think it's more applicable in everyday life if the need ever arrises.

I am a student at Ace Academy of Martial arts in Ann Arbor, MI. I am taking Judo, Jiu Jitsu, and trying to do a little Boxing on the side.
Just became certified as an instructor in CDT (compliance, direction, and takedown) - it's the "approved" form of physical management at the correctional facility that I work at.
I like/prefer the styles of self defense that have a strong emphasis on grappling, ground work, joint locks, etc because of liability reasons(I believe that you could dislocate someones arm & choke them using some jiu-jitsu in a fight and not be looked at as being as aggressive as or as lethal as strikes, kicks, blows - but still mess someones day up), as well as it seems most fights kinda' go to the ground or a clinch after a brief flurry of blows. Gotta' know what to do when that happens - my opinion anyway.

Pit Bull

Pit Bull-
I definitely agree that ju jitsu it a much more effective tech. for law enforcement purposes. Being in law enforcement myself, I know it's alot easier to explain that his shoulder or wrist was broken while resisting arrest than explaining why there's an an unconcious prisoner in the ER getting his head sewed back together from strikes. As far as street fights go...at least in my experience, I prefer to stay on my feet and strike, soon as you go the ground in a street fight, you open yourself up to a third party deciding to kick a field goal with your head. And for all you concealed permit holders...I also carry, but remember, that's supposed to be a last resort!!!
smile.gif

hmmmm.......... the Old bill frown upon us carrying guns here so a good kick in the balls, and then run like buggery!
biggrin.gif

Back