any suggestions for portable air conditioner

rubbersidedown

TURBO-BUSA-RIDIN'-BASTID
Donating Member
Registered
Needs to be fairly small(size of large microwave for example) must plug into regular outlet. Thats about it. I live in an apartment now and want to stay coooo this summer. Thx folks.

RSD.

This is what I use, but I did an upgrade and changed the water to beer. :laugh:

Air conditioner.jpg

Air conditioner.jpg

When you say portable I'm guessing that excludes window units and you're looking for something to take room to room?

Cheap is good!!! They are all made 'overseas' The cheap ones and costly ones are all made in about 2 or 3 factories.

Hey Rubb I would advise for you to go bigger not smaller. I used to live in a small 1 bedroom apartment and tried the small portable A/C and it was a complete waste of time and $$$. It would only cool the surrounding area of about 10 ft even though it was rated in the box for 5 times that. Ended up having to move it around my apt depending on where I was or have an additional fan blow/ direct the cool air towards me so I could feel it. So whatever size or square footage it claims to cool cut it in half and you'll be lucky to get that. My brother had an apt and bought a larger used A/C unit off CL and even though it seemed like overkill it was alot more comfortable and convenient to turn it down cause it was getting too cold than being pissed off and sweaty trying to turn it up and not getting the whole apt cooled off

First, RUBB! How the Hell are you doing?? Man, it's been a long time Brother..O.K. Figure out how many square feet you want to cool. The basic rule of thumb is 500 sq.ft. per Ton (12,000 btuh). Remember the air doesn't go around corners on its own. For optimum performance, the a/c unit should stay in a room(area) with the sq.ft. it was measured for. Too small of a room and the compressor will be constantly turning on/off which draws a lot of power and costs a lot of money. Too large of a room and the a/c capacity will suffer. I like the old window boxes because you could just change the part that went wrong and your done But now, everything works off of the pc board and the remote controls. It's usually cheaper to to just buy another window box. They come with a warranty anyway and as far as I saw, they're pretty reliable. They also have units that are fully contained that you can roll around. The condenser side (the side where the warm air has to be vented outside) has round flexible ductwork that can be attached to just about any open window. They also have heat pumps. IF you would like, pm me with exactly what you want to do, the sq.ft. of the rooms or room you want to cool, what you're looking to spend and your address (state, zip code) so I can see whats available in Canada. Nice to hear from you again. I guess you didn't have to kill anybody:beerchug:... Rich

Jelly,thats awesome. I'm gonna use open containers of whiskey on the rocks and sit in the vapour trail.

:dozingoff:

RSD.

Hey Rubb I would advise for you to go bigger not smaller. I used to live in a small 1 bedroom apartment and tried the small portable A/C and it was a complete waste of time and $$$. It would only cool the surrounding area of about 10 ft even though it was rated in the box for 5 times that. Ended up having to move it around my apt depending on where I was or have an additional fan blow/ direct the cool air towards me so I could feel it. So whatever size or square footage it claims to cool cut it in half and you'll be lucky to get that. My brother had an apt and bought a larger used A/C unit off CL and even though it seemed like overkill it was alot more comfortable and convenient to turn it down cause it was getting too cold than being pissed off and sweaty trying to turn it up and not getting the whole apt cooled off

Took your advice #1. Now I can chew ice,spit into a cup,add booze and wahlaa...

Whiskey Snow Cones. :laugh:

Rubb.

First, RUBB! How the Hell are you doing?? Man, it's been a long time Brother..O.K. Figure out how many square feet you want to cool. The basic rule of thumb is 500 sq.ft. per Ton (12,000 btuh). Remember the air doesn't go around corners on its own. For optimum performance, the a/c unit should stay in a room(area) with the sq.ft. it was measured for. Too small of a room and the compressor will be constantly turning on/off which draws a lot of power and costs a lot of money. Too large of a room and the a/c capacity will suffer. I like the old window boxes because you could just change the part that went wrong and your done But now, everything works off of the pc board and the remote controls. It's usually cheaper to to just buy another window box. They come with a warranty anyway and as far as I saw, they're pretty reliable. They also have units that are fully contained that you can roll around. The condenser side (the side where the warm air has to be vented outside) has round flexible ductwork that can be attached to just about any open window. They also have heat pumps. IF you would like, pm me with exactly what you want to do, the sq.ft. of the rooms or room you want to cool, what you're looking to spend and your address (state, zip code) so I can see whats available in Canada. Nice to hear from you again. I guess you didn't have to kill anybody:beerchug:... Rich

Thanks for looking out Bro. I appreciate that BIGtime. Lots of good info for everybody who wants to "stay coo..."

Yes my friend,I avoided jailtime. :whistle:

Rubb.

Back