Complete 08 Ram air mod.

High-Gain Busa...
bowdown.gif

I always look for your posts, being an M.E. I like doing this type of thing myself. But your posts are so good your making me lazy...lol
Thanks Man...

Being a field engineer for GM for 25 years taught me to start from scratch when explaining something and many times you just have to draw a picture.

Believe me, if you order the seal kit from Schnitz and put it on an 08, you had better set a good 2 hours aside and have a good die grinder / dremmel, numerous files and a crap load of patience.

You couldn't pay me to do that again.

So..........Performance gain noticed?
Several things were done at the same time while I was waiting on left side plastic.

Complete ram air mod
45 tooth rear sprocket
Removed secondary butterfly's

As for the ram air mod alone, the results were measured 2 ways as it can't be done on a dyno because you're not moving.

1. The pressure test removed all leaks except for the bottoms of the water traps that I left unsealed.... very minor but enough to let water drip out. If I were racing only I would have completely sealed that.

2. I can stall the engine with cellophane stuffed in front of the intakes... Impossible to do without the mod in fact you won't even get an RPM decrease.

I don't notice any sound difference... If anything it will be less since its not sucking air through all the cracks but with the Yosi that's all you hear anyway.

I have had the bike out only 1 weekend and the performance is awesome surely due to the sprocket change and removal of the butterflies.

The top injector used to spray directly onto the top butterfly, going from a fairly well atomized pattern out of the injector to droplets as soon as it hits the plate. Now it sprays unobstructed into the full bore mixing with high speed air. With this and the sprocket the snap is very measurable.

I am just wondering if you have had any problems with the bike since removing the secondary butterfly's from everything I have read on other posts nobody is doing this on the 08 busa. Please let me know of anything you know of that shows performance increase. I am tired of my sister always having the upper hand on the 1/4.

With the butterflies removed in A mode the performance is fantastic. I will try to get the bike re-dyno'd soon.

Obviously in B and C mode it has issues because fuel and timing is being cut back but the air is still there.

I wouldn't suggest it if you use B and C mode.... My opinion is the cost of the whole mode option could have been put to better use somewhere else but for many; there are driving conditions they are faced with that it is helpful.

You remove the secondaries with a phillips #2 screw driver. Bits of the screws where they are peened will chip off and land on the primary throttle plates.... suck them out, don't blow them out.

I don't suggest this if you are not absolute sure you will get the pieces out or have not done this before.

I would love to see someone seal there ram air tubes and post before and after time and mph. I'm just not sure it will make any difference. Maybe it will.

With the butterflies removed in A mode the performance is fantastic. I will try to get the bike re-dyno'd soon.

Obviously in B and C mode it has issues because fuel and timing is being cut back but the air is still there.

I wouldn't suggest it if you use B and C mode.... My opinion is the cost of the whole mode option could have been put to better use somewhere else but for many; there are driving conditions they are faced with that it is helpful.

You remove the secondaries with a phillips #2 screw driver. Bits of the screws where they are peened will chip off and land on the primary throttle plates.... suck them out, don't blow them out.

I don't suggest this if you are not absolute sure you will get the pieces out or have not done this before.
this mod butterfly mod will obviously void the warantee right? And could you post pics of this mod?

I don't think this is the best mod. If you ever read a turbo book or airflow type of book. They say "ram air" does not work. It either does not supply enough air or it forces more air than need in to the Rams /shoots. When more air than is need is forced in to the shoots it creates a pocket of air in front of the bike. That pocket of air that is not getting used will actually change the "shape of the bike" and the air that wanted to flow over the sleekness of the busa now has to go around the pocket of air not being able to go in the rams.

http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/turbotech.html

the books on the web site are what i am talking about.
Great books, all about air flow, Understanding Compressor Maps, the math on how to size a turbo for your motor,

I don't think this is the best mod. If you ever read a turbo book or airflow type of book. They say "ram air" does not work.
corner2.png

That's the problem... It's a book.

I received my engineering degree from General Motors Kettering University.

Did the author spend hundreds of hours in a multi-million dollar wind tunnels such as in the pic? That turbin can simulate a car moving at 135+ MPH

http://www.gm.com/explore....dex.jsp

tunnel_vision.jpg

ok, so you are saying their is no flaw at all with ram air?
ram air only work up to a serration speed. than is not efficient.
the authors of the book are credible sources.
ram air at high speed( when its past the design speed) works like trying to get all the water shooting out of a fire hose in the a drinking straw.

What I am saying is whoever said: "They say "ram air" does not work" whether it be your interpretation of what you read or the Author, doesn't know what the hell they are talking about. There is no leeway in that statement therefore be prepared to defend your false post.  
flamethrowingsmiley.gif

Based on your lack of punctuation, poor spelling and grammar I am guessing your reading skills are just as poor and you misread the book(s)

I don't get into public disagreements often... I usually ignore misleading posts but you don't walk on a golf green with Tiger Woods and say "I read in a book that you can't putt" and not expect to be questioned.

I will take my meds now and go to bed
crazy.gif

Is the thin air getting to you in Colorado?
So I read and book and tiger can't putt.
Every one else read a forum and Ram air work, all because of you (high-gain busa) said so and has a photo of a wind tunnel?
there is flaws with every thing in the world.
Ram air has flaws also

argue.gif

I did this mod this week to my 08. What a PIA..., I would not advise it because it takes hours to do and you must be carefull or end up with a junk cut air box. Anyway I did notice under the air box by the left intake tube is a little small hole. Looks like to allow water to drain. I did not block it. Anyone notice it?

Back