Complete 08 Ram air mod.

The sealing will do little to nothing for this application. Since pressure is really a measurement of resistance, the "ram air" effect will work whether the tubes are absolutely sealed or not, there will be pressure any time the the bike is moving past a given speed, usually a fairly low speed. If you want boost, get a blower..............

I did this mod this week to my 08. What a PIA..., I would not advise it because it takes hours to do and you must be carefull or end up with a junk cut air box. Anyway I did notice under the air box by the left intake tube is a little small hole. Looks like to allow water to drain. I did not block it. Anyone notice it?

If you are primarily racing, I would seal it all up. If you primarily street ride then you may want the drain hole if you ride in the rain...

The sealing will do little to nothing for this application. Since pressure is really a measurement of resistance, the "ram air" effect will work whether the tubes are absolutely sealed or not, there will be pressure any time the the bike is moving past a given speed, usually a fairly low speed. If you want boost, get a blower..............

The mod allows the airbox to pressurize quicker... ;)

I'd be curious to see if you get any HP gain, as someone said before, can't imagine you could be building much pressure in the tubes, at best you are trying to restrict it as little as possible. Rough calculations would tend me to think that a 4 stroke 1340cc engine revving at 11,000 rpm would be sucking in 4.34 Cubic foot per second which is tough through those little intakes. I'd imagine that smoothing the airflow would probably help more.

I have measured up to 1.3 PSI incremental pressure over atmosphere in the air box of my ZX12 at measured speeds over 200 mph. I haven't bothered to measure them on a Busa, but I would expect similar numbers. 1.3 PSI of boost is huge, so saying ram air is not effective is silly. Airflow in the box is a different discussion from ram air boost. You can have both, and a good design will have both.

This discussion about fixing air leaks is somewhat flawed. With a high volume, low pressure system, even large leaks make virtually no difference. It may seem obvious that taping up the small holes would make a difference and increase pressure, the fact is that the pressure in the box (only around 1 psi) is sustained by the air pressure at the front of the vehicle. You have a 20 liter balloon with small leaks in it, but it is only holding a small amount of pressure. No dyno result exists that shows one iota of difference.

Unless you route the crankcase vent elsewere, the box is never sealed up anyway. For what its worth, routing the crancase vent to the PAIR valve is worth 1.5 HP due to reduced pumping on the back side of the piston, but an airbox at 1 psi does not need to be leaktight.

I have measured up to 1.3 PSI incremental pressure over atmosphere in the air box of my ZX12 at measured speeds over 200 mph. I haven't bothered to measure them on a Busa, but I would expect similar numbers. 1.3 PSI of boost is huge, so saying ram air is not effective is silly. Airflow in the box is a different discussion from ram air boost. You can have both, and a good design will have both.

This discussion about fixing air leaks is somewhat flawed. With a high volume, low pressure system, even large leaks make virtually no difference. It may seem obvious that taping up the small holes would make a difference and increase pressure, the fact is that the pressure in the box (only around 1 psi) is sustained by the air pressure at the front of the vehicle. You have a 20 liter balloon with small leaks in it, but it is only holding a small amount of pressure. No dyno result exists that shows one iota of difference.

Unless you route the crankcase vent elsewere, the box is never sealed up anyway. For what its worth, routing the crancase vent to the PAIR valve is worth 1.5 HP due to reduced pumping on the back side of the piston, but an airbox at 1 psi does not need to be leaktight.

They issue tickets at 5 over around here...........

I have a question, why not pressurize the air box with a fan or something? Seems it would be easy to exceed the pressure you get from going +120 mph? Also the pressure would be available at low revs.

Am I a complete idiot? :dunno:

Fans can move lots of air but they generate virtually no pressure.
Pumps or compressors can generate lots of pressure, but not very much air flow.
Turbos can generate both pressure and flow, but they take a lot more power to operate than a typical 1/2 HP fan or 3 HP compressor.

1 PSI ram air may not seem like much, but thats a 7% increase in air intake (1/14.7) which is about 10 or 11 HP for a typical 160 HP bike. Not too shabby.

Unfortunately hooking up a small fan won't give you 1 psi.

What size tire are you all replacing the rubber seal from Schnitz when it gets old and breaks from the heat?

I removed the ram air tubes on one of my bikes last winter due to relocating my fuel cell up front. I didn't lose any mph at the drag strip.

I saw a guy's video with pressure gauge on the ram air of a ZX-14. It hardly moved. I think if you ride way 100 mph with any regularity, you might be able to notice a difference if you blocked your ram air inlets with rags. The motor is so big and when it sucks air in, there is only so much it can hold. It doesn't matter how much pressure that air is under. Each cylinder will accept as much air as it can hold.

I saw a guy's video with pressure gauge on the ram air of a ZX-14. It hardly moved. I think if you ride way 100 mph with any regularity, you might be able to notice a difference if you blocked your ram air inlets with rags. The motor is so big and when it sucks air in, there is only so much it can hold. It doesn't matter how much pressure that air is under. Each cylinder will accept as much air as it can hold.
Kawasaki gives a hp figure with ram air on their bikes...

Makes sense that with wind tunnel technology, air flow at speed can be simulated. It would take Kawasaki $ to do it though lol.
Seeing as the Hayabusa was designed in a wind tunnel, it's surprising it doesn't have a ram air HP as well...

I think Kawasaki added 5-6 hp on their bikes for the ram air??

Back