Any Military History buffs here ?

Blanca BusaLess

Suffers from PBSD
Donating Member
Registered
I have studied military history for most of my life and am deeply interested in preserving the knowledge for future generations to come. I studied all things from early Egypt to things like the conquests of Attila the Hun to the Crusades to European Wars. My favorite is American Military history . The Revolutionary War is still incredible to me but the two I am truly interested in are both world wars , WWI and WWII, most especially WWII.
To read about 100s of thousands of troops here or there in this battle or that one is still mind boggling. Battles of Stalingrad, the tank battle of Kursk and many others are simply , well historic !
If there is anyone who feels same of you should take a look at this series

I'll give you a fair warning though. It is not your saturday morning History Channel show.
It is brutal and shows things you have not seen in full color.
youtube link with clips. The rest of the episodes are on same page.
Apocalypse: The Second World War - Smithsonian Channel

Anyone who has 'The Smithsonian Channel' on Direct TV should check it out.
All episodes are in full color and full of never before seen footage.
Narrated by Martin Sheen.
In yrs of studying, reading and watching others there is no other as interesting and well put together.
Each one of these is truly a history lesson.

I have had unique opportunity by living here in So Florida as well as selling Lincolns for many yrs.
Not only does So Florida have highest concentration of WWII vets anywhere in US simply due to fact that many retire here but they all bought lincolns.
I have had opportunities to attend WWII vet reunions here many times and at one point in time met 3 of the men who were on the Enola Gay the plane that delivered the Atomic Bomb to Japan.
I study it and talk about it with friends and associates so that we may never forget the sacrifices millions made to achieve freedom from darkness.

Another show coming up on 'Smithsonian Channel' is called 'Uncommon Courage: Breakout at Chosin'
Uncommon Courage: Breakout at Chosin - Smithsonian Channel

This is the story Lt. Chew-Een Lee.
The 1st Chinese-American regular officer in the history of the US Marine Corp. I have also read about and studied him.
Google Image Result for http://www.defense.gov/specials/asianpacific03/images/cheweenlee1.jpg

In 1950, he led five hundred Marines through a blizzard to save eight thousand more from certain capture. But his greatest victory may have been changing the way our country regards Asian Americans.
Meet Lt. Chew-Een Lee, whose patriotism and bravery ushered in a new era in the Marines...and in America.
cheweenlee1.jpg

Just thought I would share and hopefully spark some interest so that we may never forget...
soldier-saluting-flag.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My Uncle, Burke Davis, was a walking encylopedia of the Civil War. Many fine books.

DavisBurke.jpg

They_Called_Stonewall_MD.gif

jeb stuart.jpg

Phil96 When I lived in TN the 2nd time around I used to do Civil War re-enacting.
We used to act out the Battle of Franklin.
My ears are still ringing from the cannons.
What a unique 'ringggggggg' they would have after the shot !
Org. I was member of http://www.tcwpa.org/
and the battle we used to reenact http://www.battleoffranklin.com/

Last edited:
Phil96 When I lived in TN the 2nd time around I used to do Civil War re-enacting.
We used to act out the Battle of Franklin.
My ears are still ringing from the cannons.
What a unique 'ringggggggg' they would have after the shot !
Org. I was member of Home • Tennessee Civil War Preservation Association • Preserving Historic Spaces
and the battle we used to reenact Battle of Franklin

In '70's, I had a replica mortar that I got from Dixie Arms. We would shoot
4in exploding coffee cans, and other nasties:laugh:

Dixie Arms....:thumbsup: Now Dixie Gun Works.
2 words I have not heard in a long time...:bowdown:
Got lots of goodies dont they !

Dixie Arms....:thumbsup:
2 words I have not heard in a long time...:bowdown:
Got lots of goodies dont they !

My friend, got a ss replica flintlock elephant gun, from Dixie Arms. We would shoot 1in ball bearings out of that monster. He blew himself up (I wasn't there )
he made a finned 2foot long projectile filled with witches' brew of sundry explosives, with matchheads in the nose cone. the thing blew up right out
of the barrell, with just the fins sticking out. knocking him down and flinging the
weapon 20 yards. He wasn't hurt, luckly. He led a charmed life for a pyro.
Those were the days:laugh:(wound up on the LAPD):rofl:

Last edited:
Back