another pair valve question

kflagg

Registered
I am sure this has been covered some place but cant find much detail on it.I have just a stock 04 busa for the most part.The only thing i have done is install a set of yosh rs-3 bolt on cans.I am getting a small backfire every now and then when shifting from first to second.I have read about the pair valve removal have seen good and bad things said about doing it.I understand how to do it and would order a kit from brock racing but am unsure if i should do it kinda got mixed view's from other post.My main concern is a couple refered to the backfiring could damage the engine but didn't go into much detail about it.Again just have a set of bolt on yoshi cans not a full system the popping dose not really bother me I just dont want to damage my engine in anyway.Sorry if this is in the wrong area to post and for being so long winded.Thanks in advance.

keith

Pair valves have been know to cause backfires. Also, too low of an idle rpm will also cause backfiring.

Backfiring will cause some damage, but its minor and will only really be a problem if it happens frequently.

K------

I have an 02 with the same cans as you.  It was popping so I removed the PAIR, and no more popping.  

The popping is actually a blue flame comming out of the pipes.

Over time, it will hurt the motor.

Remove the PAIR.

Stealth

<!--EDIT|Stealth_Busa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1097611214 -->

The same thing is happening to my Busa when I come off the gas. All I have done to it is replace the stock pipes with D & D bolt ons. I'm want to do the pair valve removal, but I have not read where I can get the Pair valve covers. Anyone have some assistance.

With my new install of a Muzzy Ti system and PC 2 with a great nap....runs waaay sweet --if i lug it abit... and roll off the gas,I will get a backfire often..have the pair on still---but the way it pop's LOW BOOM..and shoots a flame three feet out the back..
no prob......won't hurt it..not intense enough..of a Boom...to cause damage...flamethower..all good--do not plan to ride offroad anytime soon...... .
wow.gif

People have had motors blow up because of this. I would highly reccommend removing the pair, capping the nipples for the hoses, and installing the block off plates.

Over time, the excessive popping will damage your engine.

Stealth

PAIR valve block off plates.
Click here and look for them.

I ordered a set and will totally remove my pair valve. Right now to correct the problem I have removed the hose that goes from the pair valve inlet to the air box. I then placed a 1/2" rubber vacuum cap (bought at Autozone) with a clamp on the nipples on the air box and pair valve inlet.

If you totally remove the pair valve just remember to cap the air box nipple and the vacuum nipple on the throttle body.

The pair valve is for emmissions only. If they don't test for emmissions in your area then there are no worries. The backfire is taking place because the pair valve is doing its job. The pair valve injects cold air into the exhaust just as it exits the manifold. Any unburned fuel is then burned, thus helping with emmissions. This doesn't happen much with stock pipes, but in my case it did. The backfire is in the pipe, not your engine. Therefore it's an annoyance more that being destructive.

I just had this problem and did my research.

Here's the one that I bought. <a href="http://stores.skipjack.com/brockracing/Detail.bok?no=60">PAIR Valve Block-Off Kit<a>

Back