Another Newbie

SPORT

Registered
Greetings all.

Being new to the site, I would like to introduce myself.

I have recently relocated from the Central Valley of Sunny CA to the not so sunny York, Pennsylvania. Riding most of my life (35 years old now), from a Honda 250 to the classic KZ650, I am currently straddling an 02 Triumph Sprint ST. After many 24hr 1,000 mile rides, I have discovered the ST to be a bit small in size and power for my 160lb (soaking wet) 5'8" frame.
wink.gif
My riding style leans towards Sport Touring but I enjoy the occasional twisties. I have many questions about transitioning to a Busa and was hoping some of you are willing to learn me. I like the GSXR1000; however, that tight seating position is not conducive for those longer 5+ hour rides.

Understanding your responses will elicit further questions, I would like to begin with one.

Although the weight seems to be a lower center of gravity when compared to my ST, I understand the Busa is a whopping 540lbs wet ( The ST is 450lb dry). Do any of you smaller riders find this to be a problem around town and at slower speeds?

SPORT... you have a lot of riding experience! The busa will definetly be a treat to your senses ... You will love it
biggrin.gif
I'm pretty heavy myself, but I do have a couple of Friends in Bombay who ride busa's and are about your weight. I have never heard them complaining about any difficulty in handling the bike... even at slower speeds.

In my opinion... go for it! Its the best bike that a person can gift to himself
biggrin.gif

Oh yeah, and welcome to the board!

biggrin.gif

If anything it may be the riding position that causes difficulty. Some smaller riders have complained about pain in the wrists and used Helibars and Genmar risers to fix it. Don't know of any major problems that they have or have not been able to fix. I, too, am not a small person. And welcome to the board.

I subscribe to the philosophy that pain is weakness leaving the body...It just means I need to rider her more.
biggrin.gif

I do prefer leaning forward. Oh ya, Throttlemeisters would also be in order.

Some also try lowering the bike (lowering links or Tobin seats or both) to help. And then there is always the combination of all just to get the comfort just right.

I would not suggest lowering the entire bike... until maybe its a necessity to do it cause of rider height! If you want the bike to be more responsive in the leans... I think raising the rear by an inch really helps. Red05 has done it to his busa... and he is all happy about it! I have myself ordered some links to raise the rear!
smile.gif

Welcome to the board. If you like twisties, sport touring, and long rides....then the Busa is the bike for you
wink.gif

I'm one of the smaller riders...just 5'7"...

I lowered by Busa 2 inches in the front and 2 in the rear, and have absolutely no problem riding around town at slower speeds...maneuvering the Busa is easy...I did come from a Harley that weighed in at around 500 lbs, so the Busa wasn't a big jump up in weight for me...

cool.gif

Sport,
Welcome. As has been said, the Busa can be the sport touring bike you want it to be without any changes. Some people will make some minor mods for comfort reasons.....
I am also 5'8" with an inseam of 29/30. I went with a Tobin seat because of its lower profile and better comfort over the stock seat. Also, I added a new windscreen (there are several available: Double Bubble, Puig, Sportech, etc.) and throttlemiester. I have heard somewhat varied accounts of the benefits/detractors of raising/lowering the bike from different people, which is why I simply went with a new seat.
Just my .02

Sport, let me welcome you first off. I'm 5' 9 and have not needed to add risers to the busa. I think one of the first things you should do for comfort is get a Tobin/Corbin seat. With the Tobin seat, it takes a couple of inches away from the height so you may not need to change the bike afterall. After that I think it's just a judgment call on how you want the bike to look. The windscreens are usely bought by the taller riders to help with wind buffing that you and I probably won't have a problem with.
Just my opinion
tounge.gif
-- Oh, and you'll love the busa!

<!--EDIT|#cruncherbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1111415721 -->

I'm relatively new around here, but after two months and 1200 miles, I can only say, definitely go with the Busa. With your backround, you prpbably ride for a number of different reasons. The litres are fun, the tourers comfy, the Busa is both. I continue to be amazed with how this handles....on this topic I will say that rider tendencies and habits blend with a bike to achieve chemistry, so the "perfect bike" will vary from rider to rider, but the Busa is one truly amazing machine. I've also ridden many bikes since '75...including 2 '04 litres, and in my opinion nothing to this point compares with the Busa when all facets of riding are considered.

Thanks busa lovers.

My Triumph ST is back to not starting again...Probably coils???
mad.gif

Its time to sell and by something more dependable...say a Busa!!! Went to the nearest dealer today and drooled over the '05 Blue and Silver Busa. They're asking $10,900. Does this sound steep for PA area?

When/If I can get my ST sold My wife will allow me to buy another. Know anybody who wants a Triumph ST? See pic & make an offer.

Auberry02.jpg

I really like the looks of the 05 ST.  They really did a nice job on the update and added some extra power too.  Still not in the showrooms yet though.  I'm waiting on a 05 Busa and would never change my mind but I'd still like to check out the new ST at some point as well.

SPRINTST_02.jpg

<!--EDIT|FL Knifemaker
Reason for Edit: None given...|1111439803 -->

Welcome to the board. I bought the Busa after starting out on a Gixxer 600 and had no problems with the weight of the bike at all. I'm not a small guy, but the Busa is definitely the way to go.
smile.gif

The extra weight should not be a problem for you. The busa has a relatively low seat height compared to most big bikes. It might be a reach to the handlebars for you though... Its IS the most comfortable modern sportbike in my opinion...

Welcome to the board!

Buy the Busa it's the best bike out there period if u can touch one toe to stop and take off thats all you really need
I'm 5 ft 9 in 170 I have the corbins and beetle bags I have it now true spot touring that gets it , the twisties are no probem I've had mine 04 since 6-21-04 i've  but 14000 miles on it so far super comfy I'll add a picture to show what it looks like hey welcome aboard    Lannie Settles

<!--EDIT|Lannie_Settles
Reason for Edit: None given...|1111893667 -->

Back