Another GPS Question

JrGMan

Registered
Reading the posts regarding the Zumo 550 makes me want to seriously consider a unit but I have a feeling that I may have a touch of attention deficit disorder, who knows for sure. Anyway, just wanted to ask the guys who use GPS if they would care to offer an opinion, do you feel that it is too easy to be distracted with the unit in your field of view? Thanks and Merry Christmas to all!
beerchug.gif

Only time I'm distracted by the Zumo 550 is when I decide to try and enter an entirely new location I haven't saved in my favorites. Otherwise the Touch screen is awesome, very easy to use even with gloves on. And the Zumo is just one of those very useful gadgets you don't want to ride without if you have spent any amount of time riding with one.

You'll love it, at first you'll find yourself watching it but after awhile it'll be like the rest of your gauges. You'll glance at it when you need to. I have the c330, but got the 550 for the bike, been using it in my truck trying it out, I love it, it does it all.
thumb_up.gif

Use ear phones for turn by turn instructions in heavy traffic areas. I used it in the Washington DC area and found looking at the screen was not a good choice in heavy traffic.
I don't think you will be disappointed. My Zumo is the 5th Garmin I own. They keep making them better. You can find it on Amazon for under $650.

I ride with GPS and no audio. If you can get audio to your helmet, do it. I have a 2610 so its old school in comparo to the Zumo. as far as looking at the screen, I zoom the map to the 300ft scale and use it to gauge the next turn while riding in the mtns. It helped big time at the Dragon. In places where most turns are blind or decreasing radius, a quick glance down on the screen will tell me how aggressive I can be or how quickly Ill need to scrub speed prior to getting to the turn.

The uses for a GPS are endless. fuel, food, hotels, type in a address, it'll take you to the door. get it you won't regret it.
thumb_up.gif

yes , it is dangerous . You need 100% attention when on 2 wheels.
Just my opinion .
I put mine in tankbag .
I even went so far as to get a mount for mine ,then decided it was just asking for trouble.

My friend has one on his bike and it works beautiful, he plugs the ear phones in and you just follow the directions, it's a no brainer.
thumb_up.gif

I have the c330, and it does more than enough for me.. and I just use the supplied suction cup and stick it in the little indention in the tank... never had a problem, and it works fantastic.. not too much of a distraction, but if i need to make changes to route, or look for a food/fuel/lodging stop point, I just pull over and do it, then continue on my way.

I only got the 330 because it was $179 at Pepboys Auto.. but I love it.
bowdown.gif

The uses for a GPS are endless. fuel, food, hotels, type in a address, it'll take you to the door. get it you won't regret it.
thumb_up.gif
You Guys really don't know where your going or how to get there  
laugh.gif

rofl.gif

rofl.gif

rofl.gif
You know how to get to everywhere you're going. Or do you just not travel to unfamiliar places?
laugh.gif

jump9.gif
Na, I guess I've mastered a very old technique ! It's called reading a MAP  
laugh.gif
. Used it for 50 years and it's never failed me yet  
tounge.gif
. I guess it's because I plan my trip and just don't take off to no where land and HOPE I find something ! And Yeah, I know where I'am going BEFORE I leave and how to get there. I guess I'am just old fashion, cause it's never failed me yet
ThumbsUp.gif

rofl.gif

rofl.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

That's like saying, I don't need a calculator because a adding machine does me just fine. Or, I don't need a car, because a horse and buggie get me there just fine. It's not that they don't work, it's just that the new technology works soooooooooooo much better. Get my point.
poke.gif

umnik.gif

That's like saying, I don't need a calculator because a adding machine does me just fine. Or, I don't need a car, because a horse and buggie get me there just fine. It's not that they don't work, it's just that the new technology works soooooooooooo much better. Get my point.
poke.gif

umnik.gif
No not really  
winkold.gif
! Maps are easier to read, and yes, I have had a GPS for Years, doing 1000 mile rallys and Iron Butt runs with'em, so Yeah, I guess I know how to use them for MY PURPOSE. I just don't use them to tell me where to go and how to get there, unless it's the way I want to go. I really don't rely on tech to tell me where to go and how to get there only. Been using HIGH TECH stuff for 30 plus years, and Ya Know
sadnews.gif
, they all have a tendency to FAIL. And if they do, well, ya need to know where you were going in the first place. And by the way, a calculator is just another adding machine in a different form !

Geeezzzz, as I was flying over East Africa in my trusty chopper, my GPS went out, NOW WHAT WILL I DO  
wowold.gif
! I know, I'll read my MAP
sadnews.gif
 !!! Real time, Real Incident  
laugh.gif

sadnews.gif

Back