ANOTHER damn tire puncture....

shadowjack

Registered
Just noticed today I picked up another damn nail.... Now this is my 2nd Pilot Sport with less than a month on it... And I don't do burnouts.... So they should be lasting a lil bit longer than this..... 1st one was a tinyass pinhole I could'nt even find... this one looks to be about a quarter inch straight line in the center of the damn tire.... Now I live in Florida... and don't ride around construction sites.... Are these tires prone to picking up stuff easy?? I have NEVER had a nail in a tire in my 11 years of normal cruisers... Is it just the soft compound of the tires that makes em susceptable to this?? I mean I do like leaning the damn thing over... but if I have to go to a harder tire someone PLEASE let me know...

And I am assuming using something like fix a flat would be bad... So gimmie some ideas here before I got 4 grand in tires a year on a bike I don't hardly beat on:)

Jack, it seems as though you are riding on a piece of road that has some crap on it.One thing ive noticed is that alot of riders ride there bike in the middle of thier lane and that is where said crap is. Follow mainly in the tire tracks of the autos and you should be spared the misfortune of picking up flotsam and jetsom as the cagers will have done that for you already [hopefully]. And you need not toss a good tire, just patch it well from the inside.

wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif

wink.gif

wink.gif

yes you can patch it from inside, but it is "reccomended" that you not do over 80 with a patch. The bad thing about patching tires on a bike is that when you lean into a corner, the patch will flex and eventually come off. Expecailly if you run a lower air pressure. Thats why they say no high speeds. I jsut went through this with a roofing company that did the roof on our building. Got a nail in the front and rear tire. They just sent me a check for $448 to replacement. I bought a new BT56 for the rear, DB wind screen , and some ss brake lines for the front. The nail in the front tire did not go all the way through, so no leak. Only had 2700 miles on it anyway. I got lucky though, my tire was at the wear marks anyway, I was looking it over and seen the nail. So I let them buy me a new one.

My dealer told me that the soft compounds on sportbike tires makes it easier for nails, screws etc. to stick to the tire and increases the likelihood of them turning and puncturing the tire. I lost my original rear tire after 600 miles to a 2 inch screw.

Regarding tire patching, I would never compromise my safety and/or peace of mind by patching a tire or moving to a harder compound. Didn't we buy our Busa's to thrash them around to the fullest capability that technology allows?

I had the same great experience of replaceing my stock rear BT-56 with only 800 miles on the bike. I just installed the TG undertail and Rocca hugger and got a drywall screw in the rear. Luckly the screw went in on an angle and did'nt catch the hugger since it rides so close to the tire. All my past bikes never a tire problem,now i get my first brand new Busa with cash and have to buy a new rear tire.Like they say,"if you want to play you gotta pay ".

I was running the Dunlop 208, and in a matter of about 2 months I was on my 6th back tire. One of the tires did not even have 5 miles on it before it picked up a nail. I decided to switch to the Metzler M-1 which seems to be a little harder that the dunlop, but knock on wood, I'm on my second M-1 and no nail yet, and it sticks pretty good in the corners.

Back