And the Busas can fly too.....literally!!!!

TallTom

Registered
I took my buddy Lou out on a long overdue ride for him. He finally got a whole Saturday free of family and called we to ride somewhere. So I cruised up to his place and we talked out our route.

I will set-up the road and Lou's history a little. Lou has never ridden any of our backroads and has never had the time available due to family. He had just changed his swingarm and done some other tunes and wanted to find a place to take a run. There is a road in the southern part of our county that is a long seldom travelled road. Usually I do that road heading southbound and loop back on the beach where it is slow and scenic. Today we did it just backwards. So I set that up so you know that I had never done this speed run on the north bound side. There is a reason you need to know that as you read on.

We stopped to get the last refreshment stop and talk out the road before leaving. Since he was new he wanted to follow so I told him the clue to the road was when you see me get tucked, do whatevr speed you are going to do until you see the first sign for the Canal road, then slow back to normal speeds. THat is about 20 miles of road.

So off we go. About a half mile in I tucked it in and we let the Busa's rip. I was noticing that the road was bumpier than I remember (it had been months since I had ridden here). I didn't think much of it....at first. Lou right on my left wing and me tucked in and finding a line on the inside of the northbound road. We were a little bumpy for about a mile and a half and then it got REAL bumpy. Both Busa's settled in and we were climbing at around 150 range. As we climbed somewhere past the 150 range (I don't stare at gauges at these speeds) both of us hit a rise/bump that was across the whole lane. At this speed the bike literally launched off that bump/ridge and as we left the ground, both of our engines jumped up in RPM as the bikes literally flew. The Busa never flinched, acted like it was upset or even bobbled the front-end. It was as solid as can be. Because of that, I never felt like it was a dangerous situation. In fact I looked back at Lou and he was tucked in and staying right with me.

We pulled over sort of a combination of astonished and pumped from the run. He was like man you didn't tell me how bumpy that road was gonna be. To which I responded, I had never done it in this direction it is way bumpier going north. He was like "Man we left the ground" and I was like at first :nervous: and then I got to reviewing it my mind and started to realize yet another amazing quality that this bike has. It has manners even in adverse conditions. Any other bike going airborne at those speeds would probably have made me scared to death, but here we both left the ground and we both felt confidence enough to stay in tuck and never panic.
Lou said dude this was one of the better runs I have ever had and it was the first time my baby has ever flown. WE high fived and finished off with a nice cruise for the rest of the ride.

I patted Bridgette and thanked her for taking good care of me.

I LOVE THIS BIKE!

*Disclaimer* Please never attempt to do this on purpose. It is an unsetlling thought process to consider leaving mother earth at these speeds and not actually having wings to do so.

Sounds like heck of an adventure...I can still vaguely remember the puckering sensation the first time I crested a large hill at about 120mph and experienced this sensation of weightless ness prior to impact...my Hayabusa took it in stride and kept on rolling...my bladder however felt a little restricted for a while afterwords...

:rofl:

That was an awesome story. :thumbsup:

Agree with you that the composure of this bike is remarkable. Wish I had a road like that to try it out on without fear of getting nailed by a cop.

And PS, Bridgette is an excellent name for a Busa.

I could have seen that going many other ways. I always scout a rode I ride frequently just to be sure there is no road construction or drains running through it.

WOW! you should get some orange paint a highlight that "bump" if you go fast throght there im sure others do too, dont want a 1k gettin out of shape on some poor guy.

Sounds like you guys had an awesome ride. As I sit inside the house and watch the rain come down and see the thermometer sitting at 43 degrees, I feel a little jealous.

I had that happen to me last year at about 135 mph, and when the bike came back down ...only the rear tire managed to make contact again, the bike kept the front tire floating about 8 inches off the ground for another 1000 feet or so, I was so scared, I kept taping the brake and let off of the go gas....she stayed straight as an arrow though the whole time...I managed to pull over, then I jumped off and sat on the ground for about 20 minutes trying to learn how to breath again....its one thing when I wheelie on purpose but a whole nother things when it does it entirely on its own....thank godness for steering dampers as the landing was a bit choopy....
:beerchug:

John and I were doing the same thing out in Death Valley. Northbound coming out of the South entrance there's a long stretch of long woopdie-doos where 80+ is comfortable and the road just peaks in such a way that if your weighting is neutral both wheels loft. Then you do it again, then you roll a little more throttle.........and you loft a little longer. As long as your throttle control is steady, you barely miss a beat with traction. I love low-earth orbit.... :super:

Glad you guys survived it. If that had went wrong they would have been hosing you off the street at that speed. :whistle:

Back