Train Wreck - Literally

CTA_Busa_LE

Donating Member
Registered
Well as many of you know I work a second job. I also run a small police dept here in the area. The town I work for has a railroad track that runs right through the middle of it and it is a heavily used track.

Well I just so happened to be working last night around 10pm when UP Railroad had a little mishap. They had a derailment and lost 10 cars which ended up in one heck of a mess. Train was moving 50 mph+ when it happened. The track runs parrallel with IL Hwy 37, there is 50 or 60 feet between the track and the roadway. Several of the rail cars came to rest on the highway. Talk about a twisted, mangled mess.

Buddy of mine who works for the fire dept was on his way back to the station from a call and it happened right in front of him. Of course he's in a tanker truck loaded with water running highway speeds when he sees it happening. He got on the brakes and finally came to a stop about 50 - 75 feet from the wreckage. He got just a tad excited to say the least. Very lucky, another couple seconds and it most likely would have cost him dearly.

Lucky for me it was about 3/4 mile north of the town I work for so all I had to do was assist with traffic until dept of trans got road barricades in place.

The good part is that all of the cars were empty, nothing hazardous, and nobody was hurt.

Being one of the first ones there I had the opportunity to mess with the State Troopers when they got there. One asked what had happened, I told him, no idea but it appears there was a real ugly girl walking down the track and the train tried to take a dirt road. Told another that the engineer swerved to miss a deer. We had much more fun with it than the UPRR officials of course!

Below is a link to one of the local tv stations. They are still working to get the full story but there is some video of the mess. Much of it appears to be moved compared to what it was last night and does no justice to the magnitude of the situation.

WSIL TV • VIDEO

I should have pictures in the near future. Buddy did the pictures as I didn't have my camera with me. I did have to pose for one right at the heart of the mess. car sitting on the ground, no wheels under it, other cars slammed into it, my foot on the tongue like I captured the thing. :laugh:

Not good. Hazardous material?

r8

luckily, no hazardous materials, all cars involved were empty hoppers. Took out a small bridge over a small creek, that seemed to be the area that caused it to derail. Towards the back side of the train, the first car that was still sitting on the tracks was a tank car. Then towards the front, the last car was and empty hopper and it was off the track, the car right in front of it that was the first still on the tracks, you guessed it, a tank car.

don't get much luckier than that! :please:

We had a terrible accident around 5 years ago in Graniteville SC. 9 people died from exposure to chlorine gas. All vegetation and animals within about a mile of ground zero died as well.

We had a terrible accident around 5 years ago in Graniteville SC. 9 people died from exposure to chlorine gas. All vegetation and animals within about a mile of ground zero died as well.
I saw that story in Readers Digest I think... scary stuff..

I saw that story in Readers Digest I think... scary stuff..

Very scary and that can happen anywhere at anytime.

I have seen one other thing happen that many don't think of. Same track about a mile to the south, a car had it's airtank come loose. The tank was hanging under the train that was moving 40-50 mph. When it came to the crossing, there is less clearance under the train at that point. The air tank slammed into the timbers at which point it ruptured. With the high pressure in the tank it threw shrapnel the size of a human fist several hundred feet. One piece went through a metal building.

As a rule of thumb, I always stay as far away from train crossings whenever possible. People that pull right up to them never think of these things!

Years ago in Kingman, Arizona a derailment killed practically the whole fire department at that time.

Terrible.

r8

Fatal tankcar explosions occurred in Crescent City, Illinois in 1970; Kingman, Arizona in 1973; and Waverly, Tennessee in 1978. The Kingman explosion took the lives of 12 firefighters. Houston had its explosion of a tankcar at a train derailment on Mykawa Road in 1971. These types of explosions were coined BLEVE (boiling liquid expanding vapor explosion). When a tankcar or other closed container is exposed to flames above its liquid level for a period of time, the expanding vapor blows apart the container. One firefighter was killed and 28 firefighters injured in the Houston BLEVE.

Years ago in Kingman, Arizona a derailment killed practically the whole fire department at that time.

Terrible.

r8

Fatal tankcar explosions occurred in Crescent City, Illinois in 1970; Kingman, Arizona in 1973; and Waverly, Tennessee in 1978. The Kingman explosion took the lives of 12 firefighters. Houston had its explosion of a tankcar at a train derailment on Mykawa Road in 1971. These types of explosions were coined BLEVE (boiling liquid expanding vapor explosion). When a tankcar or other closed container is exposed to flames above its liquid level for a period of time, the expanding vapor blows apart the container. One firefighter was killed and 28 firefighters injured in the Houston BLEVE.

I believe that was a propane tanker and it made one heck of a shock wave and explosion. Only surpassed by the missile fuel plant in the desert I watched on U Tube

Back