an honest to god pain in the neck

jch364

Registered
I want to share with everyone an experience I have been having on a health related topic and am wondering if anyone on the board has had any similar experiences.

I have had numerous problems over the years with my neck. Basically been in constant pain in one degree or another for more than a decade now. In 2000 I had surgery and had c4 and c5 disks in my neck removed and fused without success. Now c6 and c7 are bulging and pressing against the nerve in my neck the same as the first 2. Fellas Im terrified of getting the surgery done again to be honest. I know that there is a new procedure out and available that looks like it will allow the patient to maintain mobility but still. I at this point have opted to have a cervical block done. I did this last year and I must admit that I did feel a great deal better for most of the year.

Today I went back again for the procedure since I was having a great deal more pain again. The procedure is a series of 3 shots to the neck that numb the nerves in the neck for a period of time. The procedure has been extremely painful but I know that in the long run it will give me some relief for a time. I know that eventually I may have to have the surgery done but I am doing everything to delay it. Anything but pills. I refuse to get on that crap.

Any way not trying to bore anyone to tears over this but I was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and how you might have dealt with it and what you all might have done to cope......................................

You know its things like this that lets us know that we are all just human after all. Bad thing is that I watched my father wither away and virtually die right in front of my eyes. He was nearly crippled and in the last couple of years the Alzheimer's and dementia had taken him from all of the rest of us. I swore then I wouldn't go out like that.

Sorry folks I kinda got off topic there.
sad.gif

No problem Bro. that's what where here for. Anybody can be your friend during good times, your real friends are there for you during the bad. Theres a guy on my shift having surgery done to remove two vertabre and have a steel plate inserted, he says his Dr. says it's a piece of cake.

Have you tried traction?

I have herniations, degeneration and arthritis in 2 cervical discs and 3 lumbar discs. I had the injection in my neck last April, and my lower back in November. That has been working so far, but the days when my neck decides to act up, I get out the cervical traction unit and use it for a few days. It pulls the pressure off my nerves. Ask your ortho dr if you can try one.. he can RX it for you.

Also try fish oil - the natural Omega 3's helps with inflammation. I can always tell when I forget to take it. If you have arthritis the fish oil really kicks it in the butt.

Also you can try Glucosamine, although I've found the fish oil works better.

Good luck.. I know how you feel.. and it ain't fun.

Oh.. and if you have a sit down job, and your neck starts bothering you, find a place to lay down. Lay on your back, knees up... for about 10 mins. I find it also quiets the nerves down a bit, just to have the weight of your head off of it for a few minutes.

If your neck muscles start to get tight from the pain, use a hot pack. I have a long sock full of rice here at work that I throw in the microwave for about 2 mins, laying that across my shoulders helps the tightness.

When you say that in 2000 you had C4 and C5 disks removed, are you saying you had the disk between the 4th and 5th cervical vertebral bodies removed and that space fused? And also are the symptoms prior to this procedure in 2000 the same or even worse? Your Doc should have informed you that you might expect the level directly adjacent to the operative level/s to then experience increased load and be more prone to degenerative change. With that said, a couple of questions come to mind: 1) do you smoke, 2) do you engage in a regular exercise program, 3) as LadyHawk has eluded (is your work space part to blame for your neck symptoms. Well that is a start, not trying to interrogate ya, Bro!

Traction, as LadyHawk related, is an excellent choice for conservative management of discogenic (caused by disk bulging or extruded disk material encroaching on a nerve) pain. It may be that the disk is not the culprit, could be a bone spur.......anywho, if your Doc would like for you to utilize cervical traction, let me know and I will send you a home unit NO CHARGE!

Exercise in great! And smoking (aside from what the American Lung Assoc. says) is bad for your spine. The small vessels that supply nutrients and oxygen to your disks are very susceptible to the toxins found in cigarette smoke, many of which have yet to be catagorized!

So, blocks are good, but may mask the protective sensation God gave you and even further damage could be occuring without your knowledge. Also if the problem is because of bone spurs (which are an inflammatory process) anti-inflammatroy meds work great. Things like OTC naproxen (Aleve) work fine and can stop the process from continuing.

Well, too much info probably. Feel free to pm me and we can talk via phone if you need any more unbiased info........

Thanks jetli and ladyhawk wow. That great feed back. Let me clarify some of it. C4 and 5 were removed because of herniation. I opted at the time to have a cadaver bone put in place to fuse that area. At the time this was done the surgeon was aware of the disks in c6 and 7 already bulging but they were now as bad as the first to at the time and UHC my insurance would not approve having them addressed. After that surgery I got some great relief for a couple of years. Then I was involved in an accident at work were I was rear ended and I think that aggravated the situation. Any way. A little over a year ago I went back to a surgeon. Had an mri done and such because the pain was returning and was becoming more intense and lasting for a couple of weeks at a time. He said it was 6, and 7 and that i could get surgery done if I wanted. At the time the only surgical option was to have it fused by using titanium brackets basically to screw into the vertebra to hold it in place. Thus limiting mobility. Thus limiting mobility. However. The same doctor this year just did a new procedure were instead of a brace they now have this device that sorta acts like a knee replacement thing. It like has a joint built in so that all they do is screw the 2 pieces into the vertebra and then the middle is joined together like a ball joint. sorta... Looks promising but Im not ready for that.

I have a traction device, and thanks a bunch for the offer jetli. I really preciate it. I have become close friends with all the anti inflammatory meds and such. The moist heat etc. Interesting thing about the smoking. One of the things I did this year was to quit smoking and get exercise. I live on some really good quality glucosamine from a company called Standard Process. It does work for me and I know it has helpled. The trick with that stuff, at least for me, is to get a good quality product. Not the stuff from walmart. I have only found it useful when I got it from this company because they use a cold process to make it. I just started with the omegas after reading some articles about its benefits on several fronts. Inflammation just being one. It hasn't even been a month on that yet. I know it will help.

I have been exercising now regularly and have a routine of cardio and weights that I do each week and have for the last 2 months. It is going well and I am seeing results so I am happy about that.

I think that the 12 years of smoking took somewhat of a toll on me but I think that within a year or so I should recover from the damage pretty well. I know that my heart rate is down now around the low 70's at rest and when I went in for the shot, They were checking my bp and oxygen levels, and my bp was fine and my 02 levels were around 96 to 99 percent. so thats good.

Its a work in progress..lol....As long as I can strap my ass to my 06 rocket ship in the garage I will be happy..lol..

Im kinda surprised as to how common this problem must be. Ladyhawk, I can't imagine having to deal with both neck and lower back.! Its got to drive you nuts sometimes.

I have no idea if this would be right for you, but I get regular adjustments from a chiropractor and it is a huge help with my neck and back.. I know that the disks bulging/herniating can be caused by the vertebrae being out of alignment and pinching them.. I hope you find some good help, I feel for you.. Take Care..

Sounds like you are doing what you can to make the situation bearable.
Who said "Old age is not for sissies"... Bette Davis? Well no truer words were spoken!
thumb_up.gif

I've heard of the replacements you are talking about. It's like a rubber/silicone pad they insert between the vertebre. I think that is the best option, since you still have mobility in the joints. As long as the doc gets the spacing correct. But no matter what.. the arthritis will be there.

And, jch, you have NO idea what I go through some days when both "backs" are acting up at the same time. Not that I'm wanting pity here... but it's undescribable. With every beat of my heart my head screams with pain. I've locked myself in a room and cried, I've contemplated suicide, I've been vicious to co-workers and family... because the pain just won't leave me. But... thankfully, I have more good days than bad.

And I DO take the drugs. Vicodin 10mg, Soma 300 mg and Celebrex.. PLUS an antidepressant to keep me sane (I suffer from depression anyway... the pain makes it worse).

I haven't had to take any of the pain meds in over.. ummm... about 3 weeks now, except once after riding about 200 miles.
cool.gif

Try to enjoy your good days... and just survive your bad ones. One day at a time
beerchug.gif

Say no to surgery.

Surgeons love to slice you open. All of them say it is a piece of cake.

I have had herniated disc symptoms for a few years and have really informed myself about it. Now, I try to stay as fit as possible and know that when the pain starts to get worse it usually coincides with a bigger gut. Naproxen is great, however, you have to be careful due to it's ulcer causing effects.

Good luck with your condition. Knowing about your situation worries me about this big'ol pumpkin head weighing down on my cervical spine.

Well I finished the last of the three steroid shots on Thursday. I must say I feel pretty good. I am really amazed by a couple of things. First I am really amazed with the relief that I received from the shots. Within a few days of getting the first shot I noticed relief. Now the pain is basically gone. So this is what its like to feel normal. Its a great feeling and its also interesting how we all will put up with pain especially as it creeps up on us. You don't even realize how bad it gets sometimes until its gone. Then you wonder how you ever lived with it like that. The second thing is how many people on this board alone have similar conditions. Nonetheless I appreciate the support and encouragement I have received here. Once again the members here are truly the best.
I hope to see all you you peeps at the bash this spring!!!!!!!

When a surgeon says it's a piece of cake, they mean it's a piece of cake for THEM. They do a 2 hr surgery, collect 30 grand from your insurance company, and don't have to go through the pain of rehab, healing, etc.

I wish I knew what to tell you, or had some suggestions to offer you. Unfortunately I dont though, so all I can really do is tell you that I hope you can find relief through whatever you need to do. best of luck man.

Back