pain medication

shortcut

Donating Member
Registered
i just had triple by-pass surgery and carotic artery surgery. my surgeon gave me 1 prescription for 7.5
lortab and that was it. refused to give me a refill. i'm
60 years old and don't drink or use drugs. 20 years
clean & sober. now pain is a very subjective. my
family doctor gave me a refill to help with my recovery.
i had severe pain for several weeks in my leg they
took the vein out for the by-pass. couldn't sleep, in pain
and the lortab didn't really help. now- a friend stops by
and gives me an oxycontin. split it into quarters. i take
1/4. now that's what i'm talkin' bout. pain is gone +
some nice dreams. what's with doctors nowadays that
are so paranoid of the DEA that they won't prescribe a
60 year old heart patient medicine THAT WORKS.

Oxycotin is commonly referred to as hillbilly heroin. It is extremely addictive. Please be careful. Good luck on the recovery.

(dadofthree @ Jul. 21 2007,18:36) Oxycotin is commonly referred to as hillbilly heroin. It is extremely addictive. Please be careful. Good luck on the recovery.
hey- i'm talking (1) pill split 4 ways. that's it.
i know what's up. just wondered why doctors
are so cautious as not to prescribe something
that really works and tell you to take aleve when
they just split your chest open and replaced some
veins in your heart. i'm a little bit pissed.

It's been that way since the 60's. My ER visits always ended with tylenol. My wife use to get in the doctors face and score something better. Hope you're feeling better soon.

I'd mail you some of my "killers", but they'd probably get hung up at the border.

RSD.
all_coholic.gif

Be very careful with the OXY. It is synthetic heroine and VERY addictive even in small doses. Also it is not wise for you to quit it cold turkey if taken for very long at all. Can have some serious side effects like a withdrawal similar to real heroine.
See if your Doc will give you a script for hydrocodone cream. It is applied on the skin directly to the area that is hurting and the med is absorbed transdermally and therefore much more effective on site. Any pain killer can be done this way if you have a pharmacy able to mix them. Make sure gloves are worn if someone else applies it or they will get some of the meds as well. My wife uses these a lkot as a Hospice RN with patients that cannot take meds orally.

Good luck and get well soon!

Gotta be where you're at. I can go to the Dr. and get just about anything I want.

You gotta complain about the pain. Tell him like it is, don't down play it if it is bad. Tell him all of the problems it is causing. Some doctors just don't believe in pain meds. Like you said some are afraid of DEA, but you are a perfect example of a patient who needs it. If he won't give it to you tell him to recommend another doctor who will because you don't want to be in pain everyday for him being noncaring for his patients comfort level. I have been to all sorts of doctors from one extreme to the other. Some doctors just offer up strong stuff for a headache, others wouldn't give you Aleve for open heart surgery like you had.
Anyway whatever his story is its not your problem. You have pain, you need something to help with it. End of story!!

Pain killers are highly addictive, honestly it is a huge problem that most are not aware of except for those in the medical community.

Almost ANYONE that has a prescription for pain meds for any length of time will become addicted to them.

If it were rare and isolated incidents it wouldn't be that difficult, however since it is a huge problem that crosses all boundaries of lifestyles, ages, gender, race and economic stature most in the medical field are very cautious.

Another problem and this could be a two edged sword telling you this or making this common knowledge but due to HIPAA regulations ( http://www.hipaa.org/ ) a person can have 5 different doctors prescribing them pain meds and the other doctors cant find out about it.

the medical professionals are aware of this which makes them even more cautious..

Good luck...

Ummmm....20 years clean, and sober ??......GOOD STUFF....
super.gif

Have you talked to your sponsor about these
rock.gif
....keep it out on the table (so to speak)...and your recovery continues........time does not remove the disease......
super.gif

super.gif

(Spudley @ Jul. 22 2007,06:30) Ummmm....20 years clean, and sober ??......GOOD STUFF....
super.gif

rock.gif
....keep it out on the table (so to speak)...and your recovery continues........time does not remove the disease......
super.gif
+1 partner, and if your doctor knows of your history, that will likely also make him cautious.  On the other hand, there is NO reason you need to live with pain  
sad.gif
.  Best thing is sharing about it - you know the saying, "we're only as sick as our secrets".  Good luck and hope you get to feeling better real soon  
smile.gif

super.gif

60 years old?....heart surgery?.....pain?....in todays world?.....one word....

"unfugginacceptable"

There's absolutely no reason in this world for a 60 year old man to hafta endure elevated pain levels except for the sickness our entire U.S. society all suffers called..."LIABILITY"....and?..."Insurance Investigators"....so doc dude is probably a tad paranoid about writing barb scripts for a heart patient...he'd much rather you endure the pain than him fear the liability police..end result?...he sleeps at night and you don't....so i say...fug'im....you're 60 years old...and apparently in not so good of shape...do what you feel is necessary for you the make the most of upgrading your daily quality of life...cause doc ain't gonna get blamed for jack shid if you expire over a heart attack due to lack of recouperative sleep due to pain.

And if Rush Limpballs can kick it?....so can you....just be careful...take only what you need to kill the pain and if ya ever catch yourself taking one early just for the thrill?...lay'em down and knock yerself back to the lortabs for a bit....with the word "MODERATION" as key....just enough to kill the pain and get some rest.

I experimented (and more) with all sorts of drugs years back in my jaded past..and about 10 years back i went in for a vasectomy...doc only gave me (1) 5mil Valium....awake for the op...got home and i was dying...felt like bruce lee spent the last hour kicking me in the nuts...but some friends of mine at work had "taken up a collection" for me...of painkillers....amidst them?..was (1) small oxy....and the dude that gave it to me warned me to cut it...his exact words?...."you could do field amputations with that shid and not feel a thing"...well.....I cut it alright....in 1/2...and took 1/2....the bigger 1/2....and wound up so freaking stoned that 40 minutes later i hadta jump up out of my recliner and rush to the bathroom to puke...now imagine that....here i am....just a couple hours out of testical surgery and dry heaving my guts out and...i still didn't feel a thing.
laugh.gif

Needless to say?....i took the last 1/2 in 1/4's....and it still "worked" like a mofo!
laugh.gif

My Advice?...do your thing....whatever you need to do to quell the pain...but keep a close eye on yourself and?...real important here....be reeeeeal honest with yourself about when, where and why...and when it's time to set'em down?...don't go cold turkey...that'll be too much on your old ticker...ween yourself....gradually...but always smaller doses and always more time in between and you'll be fine.

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

laugh.gif

(Spudley @ Jul. 22 2007,04:30) Ummmm....20 years clean, and sober ??......GOOD STUFF....
super.gif

rock.gif
super.gif
the morphine injections i received every 3 hours in ICU
was "good stuff" also. when i walked out the door of the hospital with the same pain- everything changed.
take a tylenol for pain as needed. your an addict! btw-
i'm through with ALL the pain meds. just trying to make
a point here. no relapse and my sobriety date 10/18/86.
i tried to find a 12 step meeting for "paranoids anonymous" - but no one would tell me where a meeting was!
SHOCKED.gif

super.gif

(JINKSTER @ Jul. 22 2007,12:05) 60 years old?....heart surgery?.....pain?....in todays world?.....one word....

"unfugginacceptable"

There's absolutely no reason in this world for a 60 year old man to hafta endure elevated pain levels except for the sickness our entire U.S. society all suffers called..."LIABILITY"....and?..."Insurance Investigators"....so doc dude is probably a tad paranoid about writing barb scripts for a heart patient...he'd much rather you endure the pain than him fear the liability police..end result?...he sleeps at night and you don't....so i say...fug'im....you're 60 years old...and apparently in not so good of shape...do what you feel is necessary for you the make the most of upgrading your daily quality of life...cause doc ain't gonna get blamed for jack shid if you expire over a heart attack due to lack of recouperative sleep due to pain.

And if Rush Limpballs can kick it?....so can you....just be careful...take only what you need to kill the pain and if ya ever catch yourself taking one early just for the thrill?...lay'em down and knock yerself back to the lortabs for a bit....with the word "MODERATION" as key....just enough to kill the pain and get some rest.

I experimented (and more) with all sorts of drugs years back in my jaded past..and about 10 years back i went in for a vasectomy...doc only gave me (1) 5mil Valium....awake for the op...got home and i was dying...felt like bruce lee spent the last hour kicking me in the nuts...but some friends of mine at work had "taken up a collection" for me...of painkillers....amidst them?..was (1) small oxy....and the dude that gave it to me warned me to cut it...his exact words?...."you could do field amputations with that shid and not feel a thing"...well.....I cut it alright....in 1/2...and took 1/2....the bigger 1/2....and wound up so freaking stoned that 40 minutes later i hadta jump up out of my recliner and rush to the bathroom to puke...now imagine that....here i am....just a couple hours out of testical surgery and dry heaving my guts out and...i still didn't feel a thing.
laugh.gif

Needless to say?....i took the last 1/2 in 1/4's....and it still "worked" like a mofo!
laugh.gif

My Advice?...do your thing....whatever you need to do to quell the pain...but keep a close eye on yourself and?...real important here....be reeeeeal honest with yourself about when, where and why...and when it's time to set'em down?...don't go cold turkey...that'll be too much on your old ticker...ween yourself....gradually...but always smaller doses and always more time in between and you'll be fine.

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif
+1
thank you JINKSTER. your the only one to get the point.
eek2.gif

laugh.gif

(shortcut @ Jul. 22 2007,12:15) i tried to find a 12 step meeting for "paranoids anonymous" - but no one would tell me where a meeting was!
SHOCKED.gif
Now thats funny.
laugh.gif
RSD.

(shortcut @ Jul. 22 2007,09:22)
(JINKSTER @ Jul. 22 2007,12:05) 60 years old?....heart surgery?.....pain?....in todays world?.....one word....

"unfugginacceptable"

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif
+1
thank you JINKSTER. your the only one to get the point.
eek2.gif
np bud....glad i could be of some comfort.

i've done a lot of shid over the years and there's only two things....make that three things...i'd never do again....

1. PCP

2. Gypsum Weed (don't ask)

3. This shid some quack prescribed for me when i was having pneumonia like symptoms called Prednisone?...fug the spelling...i'll phonics it out...

"PRED-NA-ZONE"

and that shid?...was almost worse than the other two...no halucinations or anything but i was damn near ready to check myself into a freaking mental ward...that shid put my nerves so far on edge I literally told the wife "Get The Kids Together And Get Out...Do Whatever The He11 Ya Gotta Do To Keep Yourself And Them Away From Me Cause I Ain't Right Here!"

and she did....and me?...I shook....I cried....complete freak out....wanted to tear shid up and any noises whatsoever drove me absolutely over the edge insane...i'll die before i ever take that shid again..it oughta be outlawed!

Like i said...just watch yourself...don't over do it and?...to thine own self BE TRUE!...regarding when, why and how much how often...and at the first sign of gett'in outta hand?...fall back to the lortabs and ween down from there.

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

laugh.gif

cool.gif

I am a certified hypnotherapist in Chicago. I work with people with pain issues all the time. I mostly work with patients in hospice(end of life) with a variety of diagnosis. Feel free to shoot me a message to talk about it more. I would be glad to talk with you.

PS...also a friend of Bill. Your concerns are very valid. There are plenty of non-narcotic pain medication available.

Either way...here's to a rapid recovery!!!
smile.gif

race.gif

(wolfx2 @ Jul. 22 2007,17:55) I am a certified hypnotherapist in Chicago.  I work with people with pain issues all the time.  I mostly work with patients in hospice(end of life) with a variety of diagnosis.  Feel free to shoot me a message to talk about it more.  I would be glad to talk with you.  

PS...also a friend of Bill.  Your concerns are very valid.  There are plenty of non-narcotic pain medication available.  

Either way...here's to a rapid recovery!!!
smile.gif

race.gif
omg....hypno beta blockers?...here's hoping you don't short out his breaker box!
laugh.gif

I never got past the "close my eyes and think of my happy place" part...mainly because my pain packed it's bags and traveled with me...where ever i went.
laugh.gif

does hypnotherapy have like an IQ limitation?
laugh.gif

If not?...i think it's cool as shid and applaud you for what you study, practice and do...awesome.

I've experimented with bio-feedback..even proved to a RN once that i could regulate my own BP at will...but it's easier for me to drop low first and then go high rather than visa-versa...if ya ever need a guiney pig science project?...i'm yer man!
laugh.gif

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Back