AMSoil rave

Ok,  Question, at about how many miles should there be on a new engine before switching to amsoil??  Sorry for my ignorance but amsoil makes motorcycle oil or can you use the synthetic oil for cars in motorcycles?? I would say not but I'm not sure.  Somebody,,,,educate me!!!!!!!!!
You can change it at any time. Having to wait after break-in is an Urban Legend.

There is some controversy over which "HAS"￾ to be used. Friction modifiers can be an issue with some car synthetics. It is because of the wet clutches used in motorcycles. (it is a much greater problem with car dino oil) Any motorcycle specific oil should be fine. With car oils you may have to do a bit more research.

Just because people say the have never had any problem, does not make it safe. There are not very many around here that voice their opinions on the subject that have had their oil analyzed. Do a search on the board for the words synthetic oil. You'll find hundreds of threads on the subject. Spend some time reading them to form your own opinion. I value the posts of Mountainmotor very much and he has had quite a bit of oil analyzed as well as motor rebuilding experience.

Check this for even more detailed info. www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php

So Professor what are you running in the race bike?

I'm running full Suzuki full syn. 15w50 with oem Suzuki filter
straight from Suzuki's website..

Full synthetic lubricant developed for high performance 4-cycle motorcycles and ATVs, providing excellent engine protection, cleanliness and outstanding clutch & gearbox operation. Provides excellent engine protection & performance, helping keep engines cleaner longer. Meets or exceeds: API SF/SG; SH/SJ with JASO MA

Part #: 990A0-15W50-R1Q

I just ran Royal Purple through my bike I like what it did for helping out the smoothness of the engine and transmission but on my next oil change I am going to run the amsoil just for the simple fact that it is more like regular motor oil in aspect of clarity. That was the only thing I did not like about the royal purple oil is that it was a purple oil and you can to really tell when the oil gets dirty. But now that I have run the full synthetic oil I really enjoy how it preforms. Also I don't care what any one says I will change my oil every 2500-3000 miles no if's and or buts like Daniel said the oil is the life of your engine the better you treat it the better it preforms.

One thing you may wish to consider is that the AMSOIL AME 15W-40 100% Synthetic is often available at under $30 per gallon: I buy it when (GI) Joe's has their "30% off any 3 regular priced items" coupon, getting the per quart price down around $5.25.

Works just fine in wet clutch big bore bikes like my ZX-11D: shifting is the most immediately noticeable improvement.

Cheers! to all
beerchug.gif

once again the golden nuggets of knowledge just keep pouring through. I had this discussion with a buddy of mine who rides a katana (he is about 145 lbs soaking wet so i don't hold it against him for not riding a busa) and he is switching to amsoil. i was going to post a question about this, but i huess i don't need to.

Now I do have some questions that some may laugh there @$$ off but i am asking them any ways.

1. how does engine oil affect the performance of the clutch?
2. how does engine oil affect the perfoemance of the tranny?

I am still learning about the maintenace so hold the flames if you could.

P-

So Professor what are you running in the race bike?
I'm running Mobil 1 Racing 4T (same oil as MX4T they just renamed it).
I chose it on my past experience and testing with Mobil one products.

I have been using Mobil 1 (and Delvac 1) for many years. I have also used/tested Amsoil products in sprint cars. I have sent off 25-30 sample to have tested to determine change frequency etc. I ran the Delvac 25k once in my N/A diesel pickup testing every 5-7.5 k. At 25k Blackstone labs recommended to run it another 5k and retest. With the race car after testing we went from changing dino every race (3-4 stage wet sump viscosity polymer shear issues) to 4 races with synthetic. I have seen the effects of changing from Dino to Synthetic on a Dyno with my own eyes. (Same weight oil,Alky inject V8). Oil analysis on gas LS1 style 6.0 GM, Harley engine and Transmission (when harley techs said it would not allow the ball bearings to roll). But, I have not had any sample tested on the oil from the busa. I should be testing it as I now have access to the labs that do it.

Amsoil must think quite a bit of Mobil 1 also. They purchase the raw stock from Mobil to make their products from. I'm sure there are others that are fine, I just have grown to trust Mobil 1. I'm actually thinking about trying something else and doing a few samples next year.

I have nothing against Amsoil products themselves. But I do have issues with their marketing/distribution system and some of their advertising hype.

Cost is an issue to some and I can understand that. My Busa oil gets changed more frequently than most and I still don't mind paying $7 a quart.

I just ran Royal Purple through my bike I like what it did for helping out the smoothness of the engine and transmission but on my next oil change I am going to run the amsoil just for the simple fact that it is more like regular motor oil in aspect of clarity.  That was the only thing I did not like about the royal purple oil is that it was a purple oil and you can to really tell when the oil gets dirty.  
I'm sorry, but this is another myth about oil that needs to be discussed. It looks dirty or clear.

The clarity of the oil to the naked eye has absolutely nothing to do with the performance of the oil. Oil has to be tested with some pretty sophisticated and expensive equipment to determine viscosity, detergents, additive packs presence, level of contaminates etc.

I'm not saying either oil you mentioned is better suited for your application, but you method of determining suitability is to be questioned.

How about input on the Suzuki syn. oil I'm using?

Our company uses Delvac in the semi.. oil changes at 22,500 miles...

How about input on the Suzuki syn. oil I'm using?

Our company uses Delvac in the semi.. oil changes at 22,500 miles...
Might look for a post or two MountainMotor made on it. I don't remember who was making it for Suzuki. I think MM had some tested. I'm pretty sure it is more than adequate.

Delvac1 is good stuff. I've heard of 100-150K drain intervals with it. I was buying it at truck stops and Mobil Lubrication distributors for years. Mobil finally released it to the main stream consumer market. Mobil1 Turbo Diesel 5w40 is the same formula as Delvac1.

Royal Purple here, make the Busa do everything better. Smoother, quieter and faster.

I'm about to do the first change since my break-in service. Do I have to order from AMSoil direct?

Back