Americans Arrested While Taking Children From Haiti

Heres the latest they were trying to help+should be thanked not punished.

The 10 Americans being held in jail for attempting to take Haitian children out of their native country will likely stay right where they are until at least next week. Today marks 30 days since the devastating 7.0 earthquake hit the country and government offices are closed for a three day period of mourning. For the missionaries from a Baptist church in Idaho, that means they must wait until at least Monday before prosecutors in the case review Judge Bernard Saint-Vil's recommendation to release the men and women. The judge has the final say, but the prosecution still has the right to appeal his decision.
At this point, it's still unclear when and if the Americans, who are charged with kidnapping, will be released from jail pending more investigative work in the case or if they will be free to return home. One possibility is a temporary release to the United States, with the stipulation that a responsible party remain in Haiti until the conclusion of the investigation.
Today, the United States Ambassador to Haiti, Kenneth H. Merten told reporters during a briefing, missionaries are being fed, they are safe and have access to medicine. Ambassador Merton also said that the U.S. Embassy is not geting involved at this point, saying, "We have told the Haitian government that if they want to have any conversations with us, about about these people and their situation, we are open to that. But beyond that, they've engaged legal counsel and the process is working its way through the Haitian courts. Beyond that, i'm not sure there's really much else to tell, quite frankly."

1265458245788.jpg

Heres the latest they were trying to help+should be thanked not punished.

The 10 Americans being held in jail for attempting to take Haitian children out of their native country will likely stay right where they are until at least next week. Today marks 30 days since the devastating 7.0 earthquake hit the country and government offices are closed for a three day period of mourning. For the missionaries from a Baptist church in Idaho, that means they must wait until at least Monday before prosecutors in the case review Judge Bernard Saint-Vil's recommendation to release the men and women. The judge has the final say, but the prosecution still has the right to appeal his decision.
At this point, it's still unclear when and if the Americans, who are charged with kidnapping, will be released from jail pending more investigative work in the case or if they will be free to return home. One possibility is a temporary release to the United States, with the stipulation that a responsible party remain in Haiti until the conclusion of the investigation.
Today, the United States Ambassador to Haiti, Kenneth H. Merten told reporters during a briefing, missionaries are being fed, they are safe and have access to medicine. Ambassador Merton also said that the U.S. Embassy is not geting involved at this point, saying, "We have told the Haitian government that if they want to have any conversations with us, about about these people and their situation, we are open to that. But beyond that, they've engaged legal counsel and the process is working its way through the Haitian courts. Beyond that, i'm not sure there's really much else to tell, quite frankly."

they were not arrested for helping.....they were arrested for breaking the law.

but you know that, you just don't care. i guess robbing houses is ok, if you give the money to haiti.

i dont follow you+helping children isnt breaking the law.
this thing isnt over yet there getting ready let them go home.
When they get here they deserve a heros welcome.
I wonder what those childrens lifes will be like now?
living on the streets no home or food no school ???

i dont follow you+helping children isnt breaking the law.
this thing isnt over yet there getting ready let them go home.
When they get here they deserve a heros welcome.
I wonder what those childrens lifes will be like now?
living on the streets no home or food no school ???

While you are true Nightflight.. helping children is not against the law. However when you goto a country you have to follow that countries laws. If it is illegal to take children across the border without the proper documentation, then you broke the law.

What their intent was does not matter, the fact is, they broke the law and in doing so should face the penalties that follow.

As for the Heroes welcome if they get back to the states.. That my friend is funny. Might as well call other attempted kidnappers heroes.

Ok Kids please follow me....
weird-dude.jpg

Don't worry I'll saaaaaaaaaaVe you !
I'll take you back to the USA where we lead normal lives..

Wow, you mean there are still some on here that want to see these people locked up?? ???

"Saint-Vil on Thursday privately questioned the last of a group of parents who said they willingly gave their children to the Baptist missionaries, believing the Americans would educate and care for them.

"After listening to the families, I see the possibility that they can all be released," Saint-Vil told The Associated Press. "I am recommending that all 10 Americans be released."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35337741/ns/world_news-haiti_earthquake/

Uh....makes it a little hard to kidnap someone when the parents give permission. :poke: Those old evil Baptist. They should've known better than to try and help those in need. Off with their heads! :rofl:

Last edited:
Haiti Frees 8 of 10 Americans Held

A Haitian judge has released eight of the 10 American missionaries being held since being accused of trying to illegally remove 33 children from the country following the Jan. 12 earthquake.

Judge Bernard Sainvil said that most of the Americans were free to leave Haiti without posting bail, on the condition that they return to the country to answer further questions in the ongoing investigation.

The missionaries, who are affiliated with two Idaho Baptist churches, said they were trying to help the children by taking them to an orphanage in the Dominican Republic.

Later, however, it was learned that some of the parents of the children were still alive, and that one of the Baptist group's legal advisers is wanted on people smuggling charges in the United States and El Salvador, The Associated Press reported.

The leader of the American group, Laura Silsby, and Charisa Coulter will not be released from the Port-au-Prince jail, authorities said, pending further investigation.

Caleb Stegall, an attorney representing four of the freed Americans, released a statement to CNN on Wednesday.

"Their families are relieved and anxious to have them safely home, and we are turning all of our energies towards bringing them back as safely and quickly as possible," Stegall wrote.
Filed under: Nation, World, Top Stories

lesson learned:

do not go to other countries, and kidnap children.....

PS: if what you are doing is so rightous. why do you have to lie the the parents. telling a parent that cannot for itschild you will take care of them, feed them, school them for free....

only to plan on taking them to america for adoption is so wrong, on so many levels. there will be a reckoning one day. those people may be out of jail today, but there will be a time when they will be judged.

if you believe in that sort of thing.

Your correct lesson learned.Haitian goverment dont go locking up innocent americans.

IF THEY DID SUCH A terrible thing as you say.Why did they cut them loose? WEll most of them.

Last edited:
innocent of what?

do you read what you cut and paste?

they lied to the parents, they lied to the kids.

if they are so innocent why did they need to lie?

you clearly want to ignore the facts. is that they are americans? or that they are baptists that clouds you judgement?

The big problem with debating this is the validity of the information. Judging people on what you hear and read from the media is a waste of time. They rarely get all the facts and add the entertainment factor into mix.

innocent of what?

do you read what you cut and paste?

they lied to the parents, they lied to the kids.

if they are so innocent why did they need to lie?

you clearly want to ignore the facts. is that they are americans? or that they are baptists that clouds you judgement?

The case is still under investigation but so far everything I can find on this says the parents gave them permission. I can find nothing from any news channel that says they lied to the parents. Has something changed since the investigation began? If so please post the link, because I've been unsuccessful in finding anything that states this.

I can only assume you are referring to a comment made on page 2 that was prior to the investigation which seems to have been disproven.

The case is still under investigation but so far everything I can find on this says the parents gave them permission. I can find nothing from any news channel that says they lied to the parents. Has something changed since the investigation began? If so please post the link, because I've been unsuccessful in finding anything that states this.

I can only assume you are referring to a comment made on page 2 that was prior to the investigation which seems to have been disproven.

dis-proven by what?

where have you seen that?

8 were released, but the leader was kept....so going by your logic it proves 2 are in fact guilty?

Back