Amber headlight??

lavinrac

Lav's towin service.
Donating Member
Registered
Buddy of mine was talkin to me about an amber headlight for the busa. Cant seem to find any information on one ever being on a motorcycle much less a car other than turn signal covers and what not.

I did find a few people askin about them on the net but no answers. I was hopin maybe someone here could say if they are worth it or a waste of time and money.

Some of the replacement bulbs on the market have a yellow "hue" to them if that's what he's referring to (look at the "k" number), but that makes lighting at night pretty poor. General rule of thumb is the whiter the light the better you'll see at night.

Check this guy out on ebay - http://stores.ebay.com/werlights
I got my lights from him a year ago - very reasonable price and the lights are great at night - very white! He carries yellow as well.

Last edited:
Nah not a yellow. He was saying it (supposedly) shines better at night (and the day) than even an HID. Truth or not don't have a reason to not believe him, just seeing if anyone else heard of this before.

Well I may have found the answer myself here is an interesting read on lights.

What is Kelvin (K) ? :

Color Temperature is a measurement in Degrees Kelvin that indicates the hue of a specific type of light source. Many people believe the misconception that colour temperature is a rating of the brightness of the bulb or Hid kit . This belief is completely false. The reality of the matter is that the higher the colour temperature, the less useable light output you will obtain. A perfect example would be a black light. This light has a colour temperature of approx 14,000k and has almost no useable light or lumens output. Higher K kits such as 12,000k, 14000k, etc. have been manufactured for individuals that are more concerned about the actual colour output of their lights as opposed to the actual useable light output.

What is Lumen (lm) ? :

The international unit (SI) of luminous flux (quantity of lights). For example, a dinner candle produces about 12 lumens and a standard 60-watt incandescent bulb produces 830 lumens.

Omega Color (K) and Lumen (lm) chart :

3500K Gold Yellow 3,600 (lm)

6000K Pure White - Blueish 3,200 (lm)

6000K Pure White - Blueish 2nd Gen 4,200 (lm)

8000K Purple White 2,600 (lm)

10000K Pure Blue 2,400 (lm)

So if i'm reading it right a gen 2 Pure White wish blueish color is better than the Gold Yellow But they can make a better gold yellow.

I think it states ultimatly you want a lower K to get more light???

for all you smart folks out there slap me if im wrong.

Sorry found this information at http://www.omegaxenon.com/index.html

Last edited:
lower K numbers tend to throw more usable light than the high numbers.. 4.5K-6K provide the most "rider usable" light and the higher provide a more brilliant white/blue light..

The higher temp lights are also more likely to get you pulled over and ticketed.. Technically there is NO HID kit that is legal on a bike, running with blue/white lights are an invite to getting pulled over and/or ticketed.. I have tried several temp lights and like the 6K bulbs myself..

other problem is that temp ratings are not consistent from bulb maker to bulb maker.. I have marine tanks and we run HID lights on them 8 hours a day and use different bulbs for different reasons.. I have 10K bulbs that are worlds apart in color rendering..

Last edited:
Back