Am I crazy for taking the Busa on the road?

HiYaBruceA

Registered
For those of you in the PA/MD/VA area,

I live in Pittsburgh and work in Norfolk VA each week. Lovely USAirways switched planes in February from sleek little jets to god awful twin engine props that our Busa's can outrun. So I'm going to start riding down every week, possibly as soon as this coming Sunday.

What's the best route to take? I've considered I95 N. to DC and then I70 to I68. I live south of Pittsburgh and I really like I68. I've also considered getting off I95 at Fredericksburg and taking Rt 17 to I66 and taking back roads into Cumberland. Anyone have other ideas?

HiYaB, would definately recommend 17 once you're close enough, it always seems less congested, and probably would be less stressfull than dealing with 95/295/64.
l8r

and yes I would say youre crazy as heck for contemplating that kind of a drive on the bike, why not trailor it down?

go for it m8 and good luck
biggrin.gif
ride safe tho:;):

you bought it too ride didn't ya? it's a sport/TOURING bike aint' it?

put some decent rain gear on board somewhere, maybe rig ya up a little storage on the back seat and motor on young man!

oh, I'd ditch the interstate and find a more interesting way to go even if it took a little longer if I were you.

I will I will. I'm leaving in a couple hours. Got the entire Widder upper body heated package. Problem is they make you feel so cozy, like bundling up in an electric blanket, that I want to fall asleep.

How's the traveling going so far?
rock.gif

That's quite a haul...if you do get to Rt. 17 and take it all the way 'til you pick of I-64 to Norfolk, you're heading right past me...
cool.gif

I rode the Busa down the week of 3/21. It was cold going over the mountain, 30 degrees with snow flurries. Even the Widder vest, chaps and gloves weren't enough, so I put my rain suit on and that solved the problem. By the time I got to I95 I only used the heated vest.

I was the scourge of I95. With my obnoxiously loud BrockHindle street megaphone exhaust I ran it in the 6,000-7,000 rpm range to keep the cagers at bay, which it did. You'da thunk I had the plague or something. Only one dude tried that stunt where he wants to pass you on the right and cut in front of you while you're overtaking the vehicle in front of him. But in addition to the exhaust noise I had an auditory surprise to further control him: I had two truck horns installed a few weeks ago, so when Mr. NASCAR tried to pass me I laid on them. He pee'ed. I swear. You could see it leaking out the bottom of his door. He backed off and I never saw him again. He must have stopped at CVS for Dependz!

laugh.gif

Well, you are dedicated to even undertake that ride...weather's been horrible around here...

Glad you got there okay though...and left a carcass along the way
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

What's the trip like if I take 17 from Norfolk all the way to Fredericksburg, as opposed to taking 64/295/95. How much longer will it take? What kind of speed can be maintained on 17? Is it extensive stop and go or reasonable, like 17 North from I95 to I66? Please advise, I don't like 64 and 95 and would even consider 17 in the rental car I've been using for the past two weeks.

blue ridge parkway my friend, the most incredible road in these united states that I've ever travelled. I took the blue ridge from somewher in virginia to Roanoke on my way to deals gap from N.Y about 6 months ago and thought I'd died and gone to motorcycle heaven. It'll take longer but well worth the ride and if I'm not mistaken it starts somewhere in PA, the only way to fly.

blue ridge parkway my friend, the most incredible road in these united states that I've ever travelled. I took the blue ridge from somewher in virginia to Roanoke on my way to deals gap from N.Y about 6 months ago and thought I'd died and gone to motorcycle heaven. It'll take longer but well worth the ride and if I'm not mistaken it starts somewhere in PA, the only way to fly.

Back