Am I Big Enough...

you should just pick up a nice used 250 ninja to start with . ride it for 6 months and then consider getting a fast bike .

if you dont have much experience driving a car or a bike you should really not even consider a busa , even a 600 sportbike would be too much for you in my opinion

i would also take a motorcycle course if i were you

and very important , wear the right gear no t-shirt , jeans and sneakers

<!--EDIT|gm1300
Reason for Edit: None given...|1111164531 -->

I'm 30, your height and pushing 200lbs, and most people told me I was nuts wanting to buy a Busa as a first street bike. If you're 16, 150lbs and "want to go fast", your guardian angle had better be working overtime
wink.gif
The Hayabusa is a great bike, but approaching the situation already wanting to go fast isn't a good sign to be completely honest.

Here's a little story, take it or leave it... While shopping for my bike, I went into a dealer and asked if they had any Busas in stock. The salesperson said "we have a used one, but you probably don't want it". When I asked why, they said they bought it for $4000 from a guy who had bought it new for his 17 year old son who, in 2 weeks, had dropped it 4 or 5 times. The father is lucky he was only out $6000 and not a son...

Anyway, on a lighter note, have you considered getting a dirt bike to learn on? That's what I was riding at 14 to 15, and it certainly satisfied my need for speed. Off-road riding really teaches you how to handle things like rough terrain, quick maneuvering, maintaining/controlling loss of traction, etc. - all of which come in very handy on the street. Best of all, you don't need to worry about insurance and cops (unless you ride on the street).

If you want a street bike, pick out a few and see what you'll pay for insurance - that will likely play a large part in your choice of bikes.

hehe, I had a ninja 2fiddy. They are fun bikes. I actually rode it last year thru some twisties while I was letting a family member ride the busa when he was thinking of buying. .. getting off a busa back onto a 250 ninja is sumpin else guys.. hehe you should try it..;

It was fun as hell.. get back to basics sorta.. tiny weight throwing that thing all over the mountain, shifting up and down about 4 times per curve to have some power coming out.. hehe I smoked my own hayabusa with a 250 ninja.. hehehe

in his defence he's from up north and I don't think he'd ever been on a real mountain 2 lane twistie on a bike, and of course doing it for the frist time on a hayabusa trying to keep up with somebody that knows the road and is floggin the piss outta the little ninja he road for years wasn't much of a fair fight.

We switched back out and unfortunatly he ended up chuckin' the li'l ninja onto the pavement in a high side. hehe $800 worth of damage, and a hell of a sore knee.

was a frikken great ride up to that point. I believe his wife put the kibosh (sp?) on the hayabusa dreams and he's still riding his GS1100.

Don't buy a new bike to start with...get a good used one.

Get a good used one you can beat around for the first year or so. That way, if you do drop it no big deal...it's your "I made a mistake bike."

When your ready to upgrade, then turn your beater into a track bike.

And of course....what everyone else says!
1.Good gear
2.MSF course
3.Start on a smaller ride

Good luck, be smart and ride safe,

There is a very good post on here about one of the board members opinion about getting a Busa as a first bike.  According to a lot of people on here, its not a good idea.  With insurance, the cost of the plastics (even if the bike just falls over), and the overall price of the bike, it could be super expensive if you make a mistake.  I am only 24 and have been riding on and off for about a year and a half and i learned on a Honda Nighthawk 450.  I still dont have a Busa, i currently ride a Suzuki GS1100 which is still pretty quick.  I have ridden a Busa 1 time, and while it was great, it is a very very powerful bike and the temptation to do something dumb is there.  The bike will get to 150 in a matter of seconds, and in 2nd gear.  Personally i think people should learn to drive a car first, then move to a bike, make your mistakes in a cage, not on a bike where you can be seriously hurt or killed.
Uhhh dude......not being a smart ass but I have been on a busa for a year and I do not see it pulling 150 in second gear......110 sounds more like it.

hey dont think you have to have an r6 or a gsxr right off the bat, it's  always good to start riding dirt bikes first and if your going to start on the road just get a beater like an older ninja 250 or 500 or maybe a yamaha yzf600r if you really want a sport bike, there still pretty cool and you can get good deals on them , also the suzuki sv650 is an awsome bike and its alot of fun to ride, the important thing is to learn to ride first then get your dream bike, i guarantee whatever you get your going to drop it, all of us do. so a bike without fairings  is cheaper to repair when it happens.   my son is 22 years old and hes 6'3", and a deputy sherrif and even he knows a busa is way to much for him , hes going to start on an sv650 and also check your innsurance rates on different bikes your going to be supprised, if you pay off all the bike and only have liabillity it wont be too bad on a small bike. but some younger guys i know pay alot more on insurance each month than they do for their bikes, were talking 400 a month or more for just the insurance.

bell helmets said it best, got a ten dollar head? then wear a ten dollar helmet
the point is buy a good arai or shoei helmet .when you look at a four or five hundred dollar helmet and you wonder if it's worth it? just ask your self how much is your life worth?

<!--EDIT|brianm767
Reason for Edit: None given...|1111220782 -->

250 Ninja is alot of fun!!!! 14,000 redline and flicks around. Take a safety course and become familiar with what bikes will and won't do!

thanks for all of the opinions ... so far lookin these are what ive found from your recomendations ... do these seem reasonable???
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot....39&rd=1
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot....32&rd=1
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot....74&rd=1
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot....35&rd=1
im favorin the gsxrs but ........
Thomas
Those second two have salvage titles. I'd steer clear of such a bike unless you REALLY know the previous owner. And since that third one is practically in my back yard and you're across the continent, I doubt that's the case!

OTHER than that, you're on the right track. Be patient, take your time looking around and you'll find a great deal and get a bike you'll grow to love. Not to mention, the process of doing so will make you a knowledgable biker which is a good part of the battle. That process is pretty important because of what it does to you.

Have fun in any case!

--Wag--

hehe, I had a ninja 2fiddy. They are fun bikes. I actually rode it last year thru some twisties while I was letting a family member ride the busa when he was thinking of buying. .. getting off a busa back onto a 250 ninja is sumpin else guys.. hehe you should try it..;

It was fun as hell..  get back to basics sorta.. tiny weight throwing that thing all over the mountain, shifting up and down about 4 times per curve to have some power coming out.. hehe  I smoked my own hayabusa with a 250 ninja.. hehehe

in his defence he's from up north and I don't think he'd ever been on a real mountain 2 lane twistie on a bike, and of course doing it for the frist time on a hayabusa trying to keep up with somebody that knows the road and is floggin the piss outta the little ninja he road for years wasn't much of a fair fight.

We switched back out and unfortunatly he ended up chuckin' the li'l ninja onto the pavement in a high side.   hehe $800 worth of damage, and a hell of a sore knee.

was a frikken great ride up to that point.  I believe his wife put the kibosh (sp?) on the hayabusa dreams and he's still riding his GS1100.
Jumped on the 250 Interceptor the other day and rode it around the streets here, just to make sure it's still in working order!

Damn nice bike. Brought back some memories and yeah, it's really easy to toss around, back and forth all over creation.

Maybe I should take it out to Santiago one of these days just for the helluvit.

--Wag--

I think insurance is going to kill this idea for you. Here in FL you don't have to carry any (WTF?), but I still carry full coverage on my bikes. If the Busa falls off the kick stand, it's a minimum of $1,500 in repairs!

Otherwise, start small. We've all worked our way up to the Busa with few exceptions. I can't imagine having the Busa as my first. I've had several bikes in my (now too many) years, and the Busa is definitely the scariest!
wow.gif

Back