Am I Big Enough...

WOW ... i just found your site and it is amazing .. i love it when i have the opportunity to ask questions to experienced riders ... ok first off i am 16 years old and am lookin forward to getting a bike .. i checked with the NC DMV and they said i could get a motorcycle learners permit which allows me to ride anytime without a passanger .. i just need to work on gettin my moms signature ... just wondering as i said im 16 and about 5' 11" 150lb .. would i be able to handle a Busa?? if not what bike do you suggest .. keep in mind i would still like to MOVE FAST ... thank you for spending ur time readin this ....

Thomas ... four wheels move the body .. two wheels move the soul...

WOW ... i just found your site and it is amazing .. i love it when i have the opportunity to ask questions to experienced riders ... ok first off i am 16 years old and am lookin forward to getting a bike .. i checked with the NC DMV and they said i could get a motorcycle learners permit which allows me to ride anytime without a passanger .. i just need to work on gettin my moms signature ... just wondering as i said im 16 and about 5' 11" 150lb .. would i be able to handle a Busa?? if not what bike do you suggest .. keep in mind i would still like to MOVE FAST ... thank you for spending ur time readin this ....

Welcome to the board. First you should check with your insurance company. If your going to finance the bike you will need full coverage. At 16 your insurance rate could $5000 or more on a new Busa per year.

if u have never even driven a car, then trying to get any bike remotely fast is a big NO NO...u need to learn the in's and outs of what its like controling something in traffic..around all times...rush hours, etc...to be around other cars and drivers...

You need to learn to anticipate the angry driver, the anxious, the old, the soccer mom....do ur life a favor and dont start off on a bike as your introduction to the world of commuting around.

<!--EDIT|Shindo97
Reason for Edit: None given...|1111109501 -->

Welcome to the board

I have a 13 year old son. I think it would break my heart to see him get a Busa when he turned 16.

I don’t want to lecture, I still remember what it was like when I was 16, and 18.

My parents did not want me to get a motorcycle at all!! when I was 21 I went out and bought my first bike. it was against their wishes, but heck I was 21, I could do what ever the h e l l I wanted. Bought my first GS-750, man that was the coolest...

I had it one month and showing off for my girlfriend at the time I ran it into a school bus at 75mph

Speed is addicting, no matter how young, no matter how old, if you have the mind set to ride a crotch rocket, you want to go for it, and you will take it however far she will let you.

My advice. your first bike. you don’t want to be able to do 180mph

Of course any of you litre bikes these days will keep up.

My advice, get yourself a 600, take an motorcycle safety course and learn on a 600, then after a year, move up to a litre bike, get the feel for street riding.

But if you are 16, you are probably hard headed like all us males are at that age and you will probably end up doing what you want.

So with that said, do what you will, but please take a motorcycle safety course, and keep in mind, lots of new riders will crash within the first year, might not be severe but chances are high it will happen.

And statistically speaking (and no one needs to jump in, I know some of you have stated you have never crashed.. whatever) all motorcycle riders have either gone down or will go down. Just the nature of the beast. So make sure you get good riding gear.

Don’t get a $100.00 helmet, get a good Shoei or Simpson.

And get leather pants, jacket and boots. That way if you do go down, it hopefully wont hurt as much and you will be able to ride again some day.

Good luck, and if you do get a Busa, please keep in contact with the board and let us know how things go, I hate it when a person shows up, says they are going to get a Busa and you never hear from them again. You just wonder if they got it and crashed it, or never got it.

So keep in touch.

How is that for my best dad impression?
smile.gif

There is a very good post on here about one of the board members opinion about getting a Busa as a first bike. According to a lot of people on here, its not a good idea. With insurance, the cost of the plastics (even if the bike just falls over), and the overall price of the bike, it could be super expensive if you make a mistake. I am only 24 and have been riding on and off for about a year and a half and i learned on a Honda Nighthawk 450. I still dont have a Busa, i currently ride a Suzuki GS1100 which is still pretty quick. I have ridden a Busa 1 time, and while it was great, it is a very very powerful bike and the temptation to do something dumb is there. The bike will get to 150 in a matter of seconds, and in 2nd gear. Personally i think people should learn to drive a car first, then move to a bike, make your mistakes in a cage, not on a bike where you can be seriously hurt or killed.

by the way i do have my car liscence and have been driving for a year and before that even ... i appreciate all of the feedback so quickly ... so basically i hsould look at mabey a 04' GSXR 600 or somthing ... ? kind of mixed reviews .. not sure

Thomas

by the way i do have my car liscence and have been driving for a year and before that even ... i appreciate all of the feedback so quickly ... so basically i hsould look at mabey a 04' GSXR 600 or somthing ... ? kind of mixed reviews .. not sure

Thomas
Thomas -

You do need to find a bike you like. But yeah. if there is a GSXR 600 that you think you could live with and would like, that would probably be a real good bike to start with. But that is just my opinion.

Whatever you get, even if it isnt a Busa, you can still hang out on this board. And Eventually the timing will be right, you will be ready for one, and someone on the board will be trying to sell theirs. Or you can just get a new one
smile.gif

If you want a sportbike, I would look hard at the CBR600 F2, F3, and F4 series. They are very comfortable, perform good and definately have plenty of power.

Just my .02. Get what you like. A gsxr600 has an aggressive stance not too comfortable, if you like that then go for it...

Keep in mind insurance costs tho... A brand new bike to learn on and possibly drop/crash is not a good idea at all. But then again, if your wallet can handle it, and you want it, then go for it. Just be careful.

S.Adren:
Here's what I recommend -
SInce you are in the process of trying to get your learner's permit, I would take the MSF course and use one of thier bikes (usually a 250 of some kind). That will serve three purposes:
1. You mother will know that you plan on being a safe rider and are interested in learning the best way possible, in a controlled environment with lots of supervision.
2. You will see if you even really enjoy riding a motorcycle. I don't say this to insult you, some people really don't like the constant scanning, coordinated hand/foot actions, etc. It would be sad to spend a lot of money on something before you know if you really like it.
3. It will give you an idea of how motorcycles handle, and what size you might be able to manage. Think about this - you are 16 years old, almost 6 ft tall and weight 150. I'd be curious what you bench. I picture a pretty lean guy, that might have difficulty rightsiding a 3-400 lb bike after dropping it, laying it down, etc.
Whatever happens, Thrasher is right - you will end up doing what you want, so if you don't hear anything that we say to you, hear this: Stay safe and keep the rubber side down.
thumbs-up.gif

Welcome to the board! This seems to be a ongoing question on here. Here is a link that should answer it.

Aside from the fact that you will kill yourself on the bike, 5'11" 150# is my size, and the bike is quite comfy. Just don't get any bright ideas about manhandling it.

Of course if you are one of those teens who has enough FEAR OF DEATH in them, then perhaps you will treat the bike with the respect it deserves (and requires) (and which even the most experienced and aggressive riders in here treat it with.)

Have a ball...enjoy your new bike...good luck
wink.gif

Please read the sticky thread at the top of the page about a Busa as a first bike.

I started out on a new Gixxer 600 and thought it was the best bike that I could've ever learned on. But, that's just my .02 and to each his own. Whatever you choose, welcome to the board.
smile.gif

No, you are not big enough (maturity wise). Not trying to be a d!ck, just being honest. The 1k's are still to big and the 600's today are as fast as the 1K's from 10 years ago. My recommendation is a suzuki SV650S. Not a bad looking bike, and big enough for you to not grow out of too quickly. It's a v-twin, not as powerful as the 4-cylinders so it would be a good choice. My 21 yr old roommate bought a 97 tl1000, and he too had never ridden before, it was way too much bike for him. He flipped it the 2nd time he rode it, just got on it to hard and stood it right up and flipped it. He sold it and hasn't ridden since, don't want that to happen to you, so just take it slow and get a good reliable used bike. Good luck talking the mom into it. Later

If you get the Busa, be smart, ride smart. When/If you start riding like an ass it reflects back on the whole motorcycle community. Let's not give the Government another reason to make aggressive legislature against sportbikes.

Enjoy your bike, whichever you choose.

<!--EDIT|GMbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1111116209 -->

I had a DR350 as my first "road" bike.. hehe I was still mainly riding off road so it was the obvious choice. Big enough to get your feet wet and see if you really wanna jump onto a $10,000 bike.

I know your probably hearing it alot but uhh.. this is definatly not a beginners bike fo sho!

You gotta realize it's gonna cost probably $350 everytime you drop it in the driveway and triple that for any real accident at the very minimum. Trust me.. you will drop it atleast twice. Hell most of us have been riding for years and we all screw around and drop em' occasionally (knocks on wood).

But yeah, your big enough... ain't no worse than most other bikes really. Just a crap load of power.

Welcome to the board. Start out on something a little smaller. Like said above, a CBR600 is a great bike. I would start with the insurance company and see what they have to say. At 16 and only driving for about a year they may not even give you coverage on a bike unless you make insane payments.

Welcome to the board
biggrin.gif

You are 16 years old! Its not that I want to discourage you from going in for a busa... but If you want my opinion, here is what I suggest -

a) Buy a 600 (The new generation 600's are not slow by any standard)
b) Take a safety course
c) Buy some good leathers

Just my .02 cents.

But, if you do chooses to ignore my suggestion and go ahead with the Busa... I still suggest you take a good riding course, and buy your self good riding gear! The Busa is a very powerful bike... and its pretty heavy, keep that in mind and ride carefully
smile.gif

Good Luck.

you are one of those teens who has enough FEAR OF DEATH in them,
Some may nvr get this im 24 and still dont think about what could happen when i pin the throttle. I wouldnt get a new bike....if your going busa within a year or two you'll be losing an azz of cash on the trade in. Just have your peeps go to the insurance company and have them give you a quote...i think that would at least make up your parents mind. been driving 8 yrs no accidents 1 ticket and for full coverage 3500 bucks a year. Some places wont even insure me good luck and stay on the board no matter what you get.

Back