All you cop types on the board

captain

Dis in my way!
Staff member
Administrator
My wife sent me this email today, is this a clue?

A letter from my brother Bob with advice on dealing with an aging wife

Dear brother Charles

It is important for men to remember that as women grow older it becomes harder for them to maintain the same quality of housekeeping as they did when they were younger. When men notice this they should try not to yell. Let me relate how I handle the situation.

When I got laid off from my consulting job and took early retirement in March, it became necessary for my wife, Nancy, to get a full-time job for extra income and for the health benefits that we need. It was shortly after she started working that I noticed that she was beginning to show her age.

I usually get home from fishing or hunting about the same time she gets home from work. Although she knows how hungry I am, she almost always says that she needs to rest for half an hour before she starts supper. I try hard not to yell.

I tell her take her time and just wake me when she finally gets the supper on the table. Whereas before, she washed the dishes as soon as we finished eating. Now it is not unusual for them to sit on the table for several hours after supper.

I do what I can by reminding her a few times each evening, "The dishes aren't going to clean themselves." This seems to motivate her to get them done before bedtime.

Now that she is older, she seems to get tired so much more quickly. Our washer and dryer are in the basement. Sometimes she says, "I don't feel like I can make another trip down those steps." I don't make an big issue of this. As long as she finishes up the laundry the next evening, I am willing to overlook it.

Not only that, unless I need something ironed to wear to the Monday lodge meeting or to Wednesday's or Saturday's poker club or to Tuesday's or Thursdays bowling, or something like that, I will tell her to wait until the next evening to do the ironing.

This gives her a little more time to do some of those odd things like bathing the dog, vacuuming or dusting. If I have a good day of fishing, this allows her time to gut and scale the fish at a more leisurely pace.

Nancy is starting to complain a little occasionally. For example, she will say, "It is really difficult to find time to pay the monthly bills during the lunch hour." I continue to offer encouragement. I say, " Honey, stretch it out over two or even three days.

That way you won't need to rush so much." I also remind her "If you missed a lunch now and then it wouldn't hurt you, if you know what I mean."

When doing simple jobs, she seems to think she needs more rest periods. She takes a break when she is only half finished mowing the lawn. I try not to embarrass her when she takes these little rest breaks. I tell her, "Go fix yourself a nice glass of lemonade and sit for a while. As long as you're making one glass, make one for me as well and bring it to the hammock so you can talk to me until I fall asleep." I know I probably look like a saint in the way I support Nancy on a daily basis. I'm not saying that the ability to show this much consideration is easy.

Many men will find it difficult.

No one knows better than I do how frustrating women can become as they get older.

Signed, Bob

NOTICE: Bob's Funeral was on Saturday, Jan 26th. Nancy was acquitted on Monday, Feb 8th by an all woman jury.

I'm in your will somewhere, right?
biggrin.gif

you ever notice how they do less as they get older......................................

Hey Captain, is your wife nice ?? You know, since she's going to be single soon and all ... I was just wondering ..... if .... well .... she ..... ahhhhh .... nevermind ...
wink.gif

biggrin.gif
You know I kiddin with ya, Banditoo. It's ok to shave, bro...really. There is nothing to be ashamed of....

Oh That's funny stuff... If the Wifely unit is forewarding this to you... Might be time to start doing those extra things... like making sure you throw all your dirty clothes in the same general area, maybe ordering the pizza yourself once in awhile, and don't forget to make sure she feels needed by making sure she gets a beer for you now and then, and taking the kids to school. If she is extra busy it is very important not to shake things up around the house and accidentaly leave her feeling like she isn't needed by doing too much, it could be a bad thing.....

Actually, this does serve as a decent remminder that maybe I should be doing more around the house.........

Back