Alignment - clip-ons VS wheel

SuedePflow

Registered
I had a high-side drop a while back at speed and my bike took a hard fall on the left side. I recently had all of the cosmetics repaired and took it out for a spin this weekend. I notice that my clip-ons are very slightly turned to the right to go straight. I measured when I got home and my suspicion was confirmed. I measured from a location that would rule out a bent clip-on.

I've never messed with the triple trees on any bike. Would it be feasible that the forks may have moved slightly and become misaligned from the drop? Is it possible to loosen the triple trees and slightly adjust front alignment?

Anything else specific I should be looking for?

Hayabusa_tweaked.jpg

SHould be able to losen the top clamp and tweek a little. Ithink i would take it in and have it looked over though to make sure. That starting point you have selected is NOT a good point to measure off of.

loosen top clamp on both sides completely. loosen bottom slightly but not much. now compress the forks a little 2-3 times. should straighten them. Now retighten screws and check again. if this doesn't work you need to take them off. put the forks on a couple 2x4s. roll them you should be able to see if they are bent. if so you have issue buddy. That's how I do it. Don't think there is a fix for a triple clamp. If this is the problem toss it. The metal in these is very complicated. it's designed to break and have a certain stiffness

SHould be able to losen the top clamp and tweek a little. Ithink i would take it in and have it looked over though to make sure. That starting point you have selected is NOT a good point to measure off of.
I've had it at a body shop that specializes in motorcycles (owner owns a few Busas), and they confirmed it was mechanically sound. But they missed this subtle issue.

I just wanted to make sure there was some "adjustment" in it before I tore into it and started messing with clamps.

loosen top clamp on both sides completely. loosen bottom slightly but not much. now compress the forks a little 2-3 times. should straighten them. Now retighten screws and check again. if this doesn't work you need to take them off. put the forks on a couple 2x4s. roll them you should be able to see if they are bent. if so you have issue buddy. That's how I do it. Don't think there is a fix for a triple clamp. If this is the problem toss it. The metal in these is very complicated. it's designed to break and have a certain stiffness
Thanks. I'll give it a try and report back with what I find later this week.

I'm pretty confident that the forks aren't bent, but I'll certainly pull them to check them if I have to.

I've had it at a body shop that specializes in motorcycles (owner owns a few Busas), and they confirmed it was mechanically sound. But they missed this subtle issue.

I just wanted to make sure there was some "adjustment" in it before I tore into it and started messing with clamps.
well... before u tear into it and do all these things, why don't u call the shop and tell them they screwed up and missed this issue.... if my guy missed this, I would be alllllllll over that telephone.... but my guy wouldn't have missed this.

Back