Alert for minor fuel pump assembly problem

OB_Velociraptor

Registered
After the very helpful responses about the throttle body sync(thanks all!), I decided to take a look at the fuel pump to see if anything was amiss. The small o-ring that fits in the fuel filter retainer plate was halfway up the side of the tube it fits into and was certainly not sealing anything. I'm not certain what effect this would have on performance, but after repair of this problem the old zip was back. It must've been messed up during the recall work on the pump. For those of you with the shop manual the o-ring is shown on the bottom right of page 4-55. Inspection of the small filter between the pump and pressure regulator showed no blockage. Screen looked good as new.

Velociraptor, your screen was like new, so what brand(s) of fuel do you use and how many miles on the bike?

My bike has around 2800 miles. Normally I use Texaco premium-that's the closest gas station to my house. When I had the pump screen replaced they said mine was one of the worst they had seen. They showed it to me and it had a lot of black residue on the filter. Despite that gunk, I never had any miss or sputter. I guess that the screens before the tiny pressure regulator screen did their jobs.

I had 7100 before the first minor cutouts on a sunday and didn't want to wait so I took it all apart and the little screen was also almost completely clogged. Now just using amoco ultimate.

I still think there was stuff in the gas tank,like the crud in the antifreeze and the cloudy clutch fluid.

I flushed mine several times also but didn't use the paper clip. After about 1500 miles the window has cleared and the fluid is still clear. Used amsoil brake fluid. Cleaned the antifreeze reservoir a couple weeks ago and added new. I don't know a method of flushing that system. We'll see if that stays clean.
Have fun :)

I agree with viol8r! Most fuel screens that I've encountered are constructed using inert materials; Suzuki claims theirs interact with certain chemicals of certain gasolines to create the brown-crud from hell! I pump mostly CITGO 93 octane and my filter didn't show any signs of clogging when I took it in for the service-notice work. I do have the crud in the coolant liquid and my clutch fluid turned dark.

Two days ago I decided to do something about the clutch reservoir. I drained the old, now brownish (as if corroded), fluid and replaced it with MOTUL brake liquid (I actually flushed the system several times using MOTUL and left no trace of the old fluid). I used a paperclip to gently scrape off the crud that got stuck to the reservoir's window (this took most of the time, it's kinda tight and awkward to work with.) I now have a clear clutch reservoir window.

Next, I'll replace the coolant liquid!

--Felix

Back