Fuel Pump Problem

busa44

Registered
Hey,

Unfortunately my fuel pump was clogged (1999 hayabusa) and the bike was running rough. I've disassembled the pump and cleaned it. The filter was rather dirty. My issue now is I cant get the orange/brown plastic cover back over the filter and spring. The rubber o-ring just won't press in. Any help will be much appreciated.

Need this back together for tomorrow

Thanks

busa44
Welcome to the org!
I have not had this assembly apart before but I am certain someone here has and will chime is when they can.
If I find something in the factory service manual I will post it up.

busa44
Welcome to the org!
I have not had this assembly apart before but I am certain someone here has and will chime is when they can.
If I find something in the factory service manual I will post it up.
Thanks

Frustrating as I need it back together. But I'm sure someone will help

Echo dont spose you know what the oring is supposed to do exactly. I'm guessing to seal but I'm not sure what. Unless its just to stop fuel going back the wrong way

Screen Shot 2016-04-06 at 2.36.32 PM.png
Which oring the one in the top picture or the bottom?

Can you post some pictures of what you are having a hard time getting together?
That may help me or someone else help you.

The top picture. That is exactly the part and oring I cant get back into the fuel pump housing without the oring getting all jammed and squished. It should sit in like in the bottom picture.

Put a little Jack Lube on the O ring you can get it at any pool place or online , I use it for O Rings the are giving me the shits on ponds and pools , They slide right in after

With the help of my brother and all of brute force we seem to have got it back together. So thanks for the help guys.

Now its back together, the bike fires up no hesitation. It idles perfectly at 1100rpm the needle just sits so fine.

Thing is the bike feels a bit underpowered to me now not sure I its just me or if its cause I was used to the fuel pump all clogged and now its clean its smoother.

The bike does a little stutter as well about 3000 - 4000rpm when holding the throttle to travel at steady speed. But as soon as you open it up it seems ok.

If the oring isn't sealed properly can it cause power problems?

Busabim I'm considering a different fuel pump. Any help with links to a cheap but better solution would be much appreciated.

Thanks

I have no idea which o ring you are referring to. If the pump is not leaking inside the aluminum fuel cell it should be fine.

You can buy hamilton motorsports drop in replacement ( on eboy) that fits in the stock holder which I believe is a better design.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5337943218&icep_item=252316073013

I was using it for 3 years without any issues.

You need a helper pump as the stock design is chit and plagued with problems. If the stock fuel pump is starved for any reason, goodbye to it.

BB

Back