Air shifter

sidebusa

Registered
Ok Guys, tell me all I need to know about air shifters. Pros, Cons, suppliers, etc. Can it be left on for street. Do I need an air compressor to fill tank after each run. Where to put air tank, etc. Thanks in advance for your reply.

a normal sized air tank will fit on the right side of the subframe in the tail section. yes if you're running "air" you will need a compressor. They are very small and fit in the tail section.

you don't need a compressor if you want to run C02, you'll get about 200-300 shifts from a c02.

you can leave it on for the street. I would get an MPS kill box. They say their's doesn't cause the FI light to come on.

MPS box might cause the FI light to come on. mine does. It doesn't hurt anything, clears as soon as you shut the bike off. I have a CO2 system, tank under the passenger seat. Filled up at the outdoor store, costs about $3. The tank is actually designed for a paintball gun I believe.
Ludicrous Speed (board member here) has an on-board compressor and tank, PM him he'll tell you all you want to know about that set up.
As far as buying one, I suggest checking the classifieds here, SH.org and psychobike for used stuff.

I have always used a on-board set up but was thinking about going CO2 because I have heard that you can get around 300-400 shifts from a bottle not sure how true that is but if it is its definitly the way to go plus when you go with the co2 set up you always have 120-140 psi as where with the compressor you slowly run out as you shift and if you are running a big motor or the spray you have to pump it up to 160 or more to get it to shift into 5th or 6th.

I HAVE MUZZY'S HIGH PRESSURE C02 SYSTEM WITH DIGIKILL AND IT WORKS AWESOME. SHIFTS LIKE BUTTER AND 1 FILL LAST ALMOST AN ENTIRE SEASON. COMES WITH EVERYTHING NEEDED TO PUT ON YOUR BIKE. EASY TO READ INSTRUCTIONS AND TAKES ABOUT AN HOUR AND A HALF.

If you have a single sided exhaust I have a brand new air cylinder bracket that locates the shift cylinder to the underside of the bike instead of straight up and down. i bought it from E-Racer for $50 shipped then realized it wouldn't work with duals. Same deal for you ... $50 to your Door. It's polished Aluminum and never been used. I'll dig up a pic for you if your interested.

Check out MPS, they sell a setup for the busa that includes the autoshift box and airshifter bracket. This system will automatically shift at a preset RPM and all you have to do is launch and hold on. Makes bracket racing more consistant and takes away from rider error. I like mine, it also comes with a lifetime warranty from MPS.

A lot of places do not allow autoshift boxes in the street bike class. Just an FYI.....

My bike uses about 10-20 psi for the 1-2 and the 2-3 shift, so no it will not go all day. If you don't want c0-2 just buy a cheapo compressor from Wal mart and take the plastic housing off of it, they fit/work fine.

I HAVE MUZZY'S HIGH PRESSURE C02 SYSTEM WITH DIGIKILL AND IT WORKS AWESOME. SHIFTS LIKE BUTTER AND 1 FILL LAST ALMOST AN ENTIRE SEASON. COMES WITH EVERYTHING NEEDED TO PUT ON YOUR BIKE. EASY TO READ INSTRUCTIONS AND TAKES ABOUT AN HOUR AND A HALF.
I have seen a Muzzy set-up and heard of other Muzzy setups that don't work. That digi-kill scars me cuz it cuts the fuel, not the spark. What happens if you're spraying?
I'm glad your Muzzy set up works, it must be the only one.....
Also you must not use your shifter much if a tank lasts you a whole season, mine lasts about 3 weeks......

MR BROWN.

I SPRAY A 40SHOT DRY WITH THE DIGI KILL AND IT WORKS GREAT FOR ME. I HAVE A 9 OZ. BOTTLE AND 1200PSI GETS YOU BETWEEN 400-500 SHIFTS. ON AN 1/8TH MILE TRACK SHIFTING TWICE EQUALS 200 TO 250 PASSES A SEASON.

ANY YOUR FRIENDS WITH THE MUZZY SYSTEM THAT NEED HELP LET ME KNOW. MY BIKE SHIFTS LIKE BUTTER.

<!--EDIT|rgd808
Reason for Edit: None given...|1125518181 -->

My MPS C02 Air system hold enough for a good night at the drags...no problem. I'm getting in about 6 runs in and still have plenty of air...wish I could say the same for the NOS...

That digi-kill takes away the fuel, right? How can you have spark, spray and no fuel without problems? I'll pass on your offer of help to my friend, I appreciate the gesture.

BECAUSE THE NITROUS ISN'T FLAMMABLE WITHOUT FUEL. AND YOUR TALKING ABOUT A MILLA SECOND.
rock.gif
? ANYWAY, HASN'T CAUSED ME ANY ISSUE'S YET.

That milisecond where you have nitrous but no fuel isn't long enough to cause the motor to go lean? it seemed to me that you would have a lean condition once the fuel was re-introduced, since there would be more nitrous than you had added fuel for.....am I making sense to you, or do I need to try and explain myself better?

YOUR MAKING PERFECT SENSE TO ME. bEEN IN THIS GAME FOR A LONG TIME.

KNOCK ON WOOD.. HASN'T LEANED OUT TOO MUCH TO HURT ANYTHING YET.

I have the MPS auto shifter. It works grreat. They claim it won't cut on the FI light, but mine does. it scared me at first, but it doesn't harm anything. The air will only last one run with the compressor. Make sure you have some good air line. It will bust at about 150psi....if you forget to cut the compressor off.

Back