Air shifter install wpics & questions

ICEMANN

Registered
Ive had an electric co2 air shifter kit sitting on the shelf for what seems like a decade.  Ive decided to get it installed for something else to play with since I had the entire bike apart.

Got it from Don, gixxr1300r (SP).  It has the mps kill box (his version)  9oz bottle with guage on bottle, ram. lines etc. Everything ya need to complete the install for a "basic" install.

Connected ram piston verticle tapping the engine mount bolt head and using a clevis.  Found out that the other end wasnt wide enuff to fit over my CHROME on the shifter.  Have to shave the clevis a little to make it wider, no biggie.  Threaded engine bolt to use clevis.  Again no biggie.  I have to drill the "chrome" shift lever to hook up the clevis pin.  THATS A BIGGIE.  I guess I can silicone around the hole to try to keep the flaking down.

Mounted air switch on right side rear.  Mounted compressor on right side as well.  Mounted CO2 bottle in trunk.  Before you experts get into a tissy, he he hoe ha!  The compressor is for something else.

Guage mounted on bottle.  Put air hose in a flex wire loom tubing to help keep some of the heat off of it as well as limit the amount it can "stretch" without bursting and to ease routing.

Anyone with bottle in trunk.  How did you secure yours so it wouldnt roll around???

Im torked at myself because Im pretty much a wiring engineer and Ill be dag gone if I didnt rush and order a wireharness to hook up the power, switch between horn and shifter from mps and didnt need it.  Even paid for 2nd day shiping.  Oh I hate that.  

What I ment to order from MPS was the horn/shifter starter/nos controller switch.  Any input on that from anyone.  Not using nos but can use the switch for something else like the compressor.  

Anyway not sure how to set kill time.  I know adjust screw but thats not telling details.

Best place to get igntion 12v in trunk?

Anyway compressor is connected to hose on ECM.  I do alot of distance riding.  That there is a 6ft hose to pump my tires up with should I get a flat.  Plug kit under gas tank.

Does anyone know off hand how to make a single pole toggle switch into a double throw without changing the switch.  Can I use a relay or something.  (want to switch between horn/shifter) and have switch already installed.  

How do I regulate the air pressure with a co2 system?  that little nut on the bottle neck itself?

thanks for any help or pics.

JD

Air line runs from left side ram across t

<!--EDIT|ICEMANN
Reason for Edit: None given...|1146110293 -->

air_shifter1.jpg

PCII, MPS kill box, ATRE, bottle, cig lighter plug for cell phone, alarm, sensors, etc

JD

<!--EDIT|ICEMANN
Reason for Edit: None given...|1146109779 -->

air_shifter_4.jpg

air line hose to compressor, yellow box, etc

<!--EDIT|ICEMANN
Reason for Edit: None given...|1146109805 -->

air_shifter_5.jpg

geeze... you got everything but the kitchen sink in there... got milk?
rock.gif
wow.gif
laugh.gif
wink.gif

it looks to me like you will need a few more peices to get that co2 shifter operational,you will have to use a dedicated co2 tank,there are many different shapes,sizes available,you will need a new thumb wheel on /off valve for the bottle,next will be a regulator,carolina cycle makes a nice adjustable regulator that has ports for high and low side pressure gauges,you only need the low side to set working pressure,with a few fittings you can hook the regulator to the bottle and the switching valve to the regulator,the line from the switching valve to the shift cyl. should be kept as short as possible,i use 1 lb bottles on both bikes,and the lines are longer then optimol

IM000770.jpg

IM000755_edited.jpg

IM000723_edited.jpg

this is an older pic of the zx 12 when i had a non adjustable (muzzy) regulator,it worked fine for a year and a half,this past winter it went,so i put an adjustable one on

So my 9oz bottle isnt a dedicated "tank"?   on the pic below is the top part a regulator?  is the bottom nut the regulator adjustor valve?  I know the silver part in the center turns to "clamp" down onto the bottle. When tight it allows air to escape thru out the system when loose no air flows, is that the "knob" your talking about. Thanks for the help?

JD

<!--EDIT|ICEMANN
Reason for Edit: None given...|1146138710 -->

airshifter_6.jpg

the 9 oz bottle is fine,i meant the round alum tank was no good for co2 (about 1000 psi with co2)

the top piece is a regulator,it looks to be adjustable,there should be a small allen key,holding it in position,the pressure may allready be preset

the bottom bolt is not for pressure adjustment,it is a pressure release,if b/p goes to high (around 1300 lb's) it will ''vent''
you should see a hole in the side of the bolt

Thanks chevelle preciate it.

I was looking at the "silver" tank as an option to replace my 9oz bottle with. It "FITS" better in the trunk but probably not as easily filled. I recently saw so smaller disposable ones too.

So if im correct other than the toggle switch I have everything ready to go?

JD

pretty much,i would try to get the switching valve closer to the shift cyl. the long line may give you some trouble on the 1-2 shift,glad to help

also with the switch valve under the bodywork you won't be able to release the pressure after use (button on the switch valve) the valve will last a lot longer,if you release the pressure

<!--EDIT|chevelle
Reason for Edit: None given...|1146144988 -->

do you have room to attach it right to the regulator ?

in a perfect world you would run a hard line (braided) from the bottle to the reg/valve and the shortest possible line to the shift cyl. on very high output bikes this is a must

on more moderate bikes you can get away with longer lines,mine works fine on the street

Will the bottle setup I have work ok since im not activily using it on the track and im not on a BIG HP bike. stock, cams, tuned.

JD

do you have the room to turn the bottle around,and mount the reg. and valve as i did ?

like i said the shorter the better,i think my set up is on the long side

Back