Ahhhh!  My motor is gone!

omslaw

Michelle owns my Busa
Staff member
Administrator
Ok - well it's sorta gone.

I've been chasing a coolant leak for over a year now. Last year I replaced the head gasket upon the advice of a Busa tuner; he said he has seen the OEM gaskets just leak. Well, that was just before the Bash last year. Needless to say, something was still leaking cuz I kept losing coolant. So, I dropped the motor again and pulled the head and cylinder and took them to the machine shop.

Good news - the head isn't cracked...but it is warped - .005"!! *THAT* explains my coolant leak! I'm just glad I found what was most likely causing the problem!

The head is being decked; I've got parts on the way from Vman (thanks for the hook-up, bro!)
beerchug.gif
Hopefully, I'll be able to start re-assembly next weekend.

Here are some pics of the chaos:

Hey, something's missing here....I just can't put my finger on it...

CIMG2583__Small_.JPG

I wonder if this would qualify for the Piston Cup?

Notice that #2 (2nd from right) piston looks 'clean' compared to the others? Yeah, that's where the leak was
wink.gif

CIMG2584__Small_.JPG

OK, that's all for now.

While waiting for parts to arrive, I'll use the time to clean the motor up a bit, clean the frame, bleed the brake/clutch lines, etc.

I'll post more pics later!

Respect for guys with the skill to do this extensive engine work......

Good luck with gettin' her back together

Hey, good for you, you organized everything as you were taking it apart.
beerchug.gif
 It really sucks trying to put a motor back together when you don't know what goes where, don't ask me how I know.
jump9.gif

(05BusaLe @ Mar. 11 2007,23:02) Cool want to put a spacer plate in mine next?
Bring it on!
tounge.gif

I've got it down now! From the time I pushed her up on the lift to dropping the motor was a little over 2 hrs.

(jjmetheny @ Mar. 11 2007,23:15) Hey, good for you, you organized everything as you were taking it apart.
beerchug.gif
It really sucks trying to put a motor back together when you don't know what goes where, don't ask me how I know.
jump9.gif
Thanks, Jeff! Yep, I labeled each cup/container as everything came off.

Checked the valve clearance before pulling the cams, recorded the measurements, recorded the shim sizes, etc. Have to replace at least 4 shims.

Should go back together fairly smoothly.

That sucks especially since it's only a '04. Extended warranty would have come in handy for that one. How many miles on it? Did it ever over heat before you noticed the coolant disappearing?

Back