After-Shave

This is starting way down in the bottom of the barrel but I used to struggle with razor burn quite a lot until I ran into a service brother shared this advice: "Use warm soap and a cool blade." Ever since all I've ever used is shaving soap/brush and a double blade razor. Run the shaving brush under hot water to lather, run the blade under cold water to shave. Haven't struggled with 'the burn' since, no matter which direction I pulled, although the closer shave for me always came pulling back into the fur. A little Aqua Velva to condition and good to go, but that's all pretty low on the barber pole I'm sure. Hope you find a good solution as there are plenty of great ones here! Can't beat the .oRg for family! :thumbsup: :beerchug:

FWIW Hayabusa.org is a veritable font of shaving intel. A few years back we had quite the shaving debate/discussion/round table.

Where is the Pac-man when you need 'em!?

For the last few years though, It's all about the Gillette Fusion Power. I know I know, the blades are pricey and 5 edges PLUS a small detail blade, PLUS the vibrating head seems like a little bit much. Well the hype and silly names are a little bit much for sure...

BUT

Don't let that steer you away from the most comfortable Shave out there IMHO. The Gillete Fusion Power is different, but it works, it's the only razor that I can run directly against the grain without discomfort. The vibrations work to break the surface tension, makes the blades glide better, and makes cool weedwacker noises but it does work to make the shave even smoother.

Even if you're not down with the Gillette Fusion, Give the Aveeno a try. :thumbsup:

+1 to what he said. Same system, same hardware, same results.

Don't shave every day (unless of course you have to) it gives the hair a chance to grow a little and avoids razor bumps, particularly if your hair is curly and/or coarse. I use Gillette Fusion (non-powered, tried the powered version didn't see the difference except in my wallet) and sensitive skin shave gel. Always go with the grain on my head (15 years) but either way on my face. Shave before or during showering, (shave by feel in the shower) Polo blue aftershave balm/cologne if socializing, otherwise regular skin lotion.

I still dry shave once a week. Just a Mach III. Once in a great while, I'll use Edge Gel.

But I still haven't hit puberty yet.

:laugh:

--Wag--

I've got a beard thats like the Brillo-pad from hell and have tried everything. My solution I happened on by mistake is I hit it right after the shower when the barbs are soft, I use a Good News pivot-plus with hot water and I rub/splash on plenty of Pre-electric shave, it's cheap and it works.
Reapply the Pre-electric shave and hot water after the first time and can shave against the grain for that baby smooth face. The alcohol makes the barbs stand up and something else in there that lubricates real well.

For the extra tough beards...

Just use the old barber shop classic home version. Soak a washcloth in hot water, then hold it up against your beard, for a few minutes, let the warm water really get in there. Just 2-3 minutes is all it should take, then apply hot water and your favorite gel/oil/foam/soap etc and it should make a very noticeable difference in your comfort level.

ok, so in addition to the other suggestions above, I have found this to work incredibly well. Its not super cheap, but just a little in the palm of your hand, water and rub it all over your face and its a super nice, easy shave. You use this instead of shaving cream/gel.

Oh yeah, by all means, use the sharpest blade you can, makes the biggest difference :thumbsup:

Any problem with the oil causing break outs?

My only advice.......................................DON'T LEAVE YOUR RAZOR OR AFTERSHAVE UNATTENDED WHEN BOSSHOUND IS IN DA HOUSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I should mention my beard is incredibly stiff as well, so hot water with the oil and things go well. Shaving in the shower is great though, the steam with the hot water and no issues ever.

You want a really good shave, find an old school barber shop, the kind with the swing blade razors... ohhh nothing quite like it and you should try it at least once in your life :beerchug:

OMG ....this thread is fantastic! Nice to know you guys do worry about this stuff. Oh and where is Dino??? Dont we need a "NO HOMO" quote on here??

OMG ....this thread is fantastic! Nice to know you guys do worry about this stuff. Oh and where is Dino??? Dont we need a "NO HOMO" quote on here??

WEll I wouldn't say "Us Guys"... Notice that there's a few thousand of us and only 5-6 guys posting here.

I get the feeling a large number of American males are still the wash and wear type. :laugh:

Revlis you have me intrugied to check out some to of the products you mentioned. I am also very picky about what I use and always look for a step up. This thread turned out to be pretty resourceful. :thumbsup:

Back