Advice needed to modify '04 controls...

Phantom04

Registered
Hi people - I used to be a member on the org about 5 to 6 years ago when I owned a '99 red/black. Whilst away on our annual club run, I high sided at 35 klm/hr and the results were seriously damaged nerves to my left shoulder and a written off bike.
Fast forward 4 years and I've had the surgery, rehabilitation and I am now back riding on the road on a small bike to get my technique and confidence back.
Only my left arm still has issues, I can grip and steer the bike but not operate the clutch and hold on.
I have been looking at a K2 Lever which has two levers on the rhs that can be set up to be either both brake or clutch/brake.
I also need higher handlebars until I can build up the strength in my left arm to go back to standard.

I should mention that about 18 months ago I purchased a mint '04 black/purple machine that I have known of since new but am only getting ready to ride it.
Has anyone else been in this position and could share their mods or could point me in the direction of suppliers who sell these products.

Thanks in advance.

John

Welcome to the board.
Sorry, I can't help on the controls, but I do have a set of helibars listed in the classifieds.
Raises the bars, a little wider, and closer to the rider.
Best of luck to you.l

LSL riser bar kit is the most extreme option to raise bar position and maintain a "mostly stock" appearance on a Hayabusa.
Google Spiegler.

I would definitely say that helibars would be helpful in terms of getting the controls higher and closer to you. The adapted controls are a little outside my area of expertise, but I have seen several setups similar to what you are describing...

Something like this easy clutch addon might help...it increases your mechanical leverage, which makes the clutch pull lighter...not sure how much strength you have in your left hand, but that might be just enough to do the job

Moose Racing Easy-Pull Clutch System - Dirt Bike Motocross - Motorcycle Superstore

fing your local stunt shop they hav levers to move the rearbreak 2 d handlebars so naybe they have something 2 gealp u oh welcome back

I had bar risers, heli-bars, them combined, and eventually the Spiegler bar conversion.
None are worth it if you plan to go back to stock anyway. All will improve comfort though.
I don't see any real gains in leverage from other bar setups either. They are more to relive lower back or wrist pain.
The Spiegler setup is higher and wider though, and may make it a little easier for you.
The Busa(like most bikes)is easily steered by moving your body or with just one hand.
The Busa itself is more your problem, as it's big and heavy. Your steering problems will be much more apparent while backing the bike up or manuvering it at slow speed in tight places.
As said too, the busa has a hydraulic clutch, so the aftermarket cable clutch style levers that give more leverage(less pull) will not work.
If these issues persist and you want big bike power you'de likely be better off on a 1000. Over 100lbs or more lighter than the Busa, and most with cable operated clutches.
A Spiegler bar conversion on one would help too.
I'm not trying to be negative either, just realistic.
Reason being, I bought a new gen2 in 09...and had a back injury in 2010. I spent the next 2 1/2 years trying to make it more comfortable. 5 seats, 4 different bar setups, rearsets adjusted every possible way, ect. It was expensive.
A couple weeks ago I finally gave in and traded straight up for an 08 Suzuki B-King. Busa engine in a different frame and a much more comfortable riding position. No regrets either.
You're likely to just have to tuff out the Busa, or get something that fits you better. Kinda sucks, but that's life.
I wish you well in whatever you decide and hope that you make a full recovery.:beerchug:

Thanks for the info guys, I think i'm going to order the Speigler LSL Handlebar conversion kit plus one of these lever setups gallery3

I prefer two fingers on the front brake which is something you can order.

Once its all together my first ride will be at a track day free of cars trucks pedestrians - only pesky Dudcati's :laugh:

Will keep you up to date with pics when i can get them up...

Cheers

J

Back