Advice needed for my first AR-15 purchase

dane789

Registered
I know there are some very knowledgeable gun guys here on the org. I was wondering if anyone could give some advice to a newbie in regards to the vast world of the AR-15 rifle. I have been shooting hand guns for 20+ years, but this will be my first rifle purchase. I would like to keep my budget under $1000. It seems that there are dozens of manufactures that make this model. It can be very confusing. I saw a used Colt at the local gun show yesterday for $900 firm, A NEW Rock River Arms for $800 (no sights on it). Countless brands I've never heard of from $500 to $2500. I'm okay buying used if everything is in good shape. If there are any AR gurus here, please help steer an org brother in the right direction. Thank you

If anyone has a good deal on a used set-up, please let me know -Dan

Warsaw pact ARs usually somewhat cheaper, nice to shoot, usually have wood stock and grip. Examples are AK-47 and AK replicas (others too, don't know what they are called). US / NATO ARs look more modern, and I think they can be modded more. Just go to a gun shop and let them walk you through all of your choices.

I have never seen or heard of an ar-15 with wood stock and grip, let alone a " warsaw pact ar". under 1000 rock river and dpms are both reputable options. I have heard good things about stag but have never held one. The smith &wesson m&p 15 is nice but probably over 1000.

Peregrine Falcon has one.... I'm waiting for him to show up...

Colton! Colton! Come out, wherever you are!

Postal, every gun shop I go to says that their line is the best. I'm looking for real world opinions, not a gun smith trying to sell me his product. I'm sure you have had similar experiences.

Smith and Wesson has a ar15 sport.
Local shop has it for 649; buds online has it for 619 if I remember right.
Missing the forward assist and the dust cover.

I've had 2 bushmasters and was very happy with both, i had probably 10k rounds down the tube of my xm-15 and my brother now owns it and she still going strong. Have shot the rock river and dpms as well and both seemed like great guns.

Postal, every gun shop I go to says that their line is the best. I'm looking for real world opinions, not a gun smith trying to sell me his product........
Here is the best information on the net about picking an AR by the guys that use them in the field.
So you want to buy an AR-15, huh?
I have a Colt and a Bushmaster. Pleased with both. Do they make better ones? You bet! Are there worse ones out there? Absolutely!

you can get a mill spec Ar for under 600 for upper and lower.It will have bare bones stock, sights and grips but you can always upgrade them later.RR does make a nice AR.The AR is nice but I hear of so many of them jam up and need a lot of maintenance.

If you can afford it get one that it piston driven and not gas operated. The advantages are numerous.
If I was gonna buy a new Ar it would be a Ruger Sr556. Stretch your budget a bit.

From what I have learned the colt internals are better metals / tighter tolerances...I am not saying that any other brand is of lesser quality...there are many things to consider. The barrel length, type, rail items, scope, iron sights, butt stock configuration...every part can add a few hundred. They look great and are fun to shoot...being informed and choosing what suits your needs is the best move.

From what I have learned the colt internals are better metals / tighter tolerances...I am not saying that any other brand is of lesser quality...there are many things to consider. The barrel length, type, rail items, scope, iron sights, butt stock configuration...every part can add a few hundred. They look great and are fun to shoot...being informed and choosing what suits your needs is the best move.

There was a time when Colt was king of quality and desirability but no more.
They have cut corners, downsized and out sourced a lot of things.

AWESOME link!! Gonna have to study this a little. and go back and see exactly what I've got!

that makes it a "sporting rifle", important features if you live in the peoples republic of california. you also have to have a 5 round mag that's not removeable without some sort of tool for that state. most AR's are not only similar, but the parts are interchangeable. that's the beauty of the black rifle. the "wood stock AR's" as you called them are AK variants, a completely different rifle. they're based on the Kalashnikov AK-47, while the "AR" is based on the M16. there are many variants of each, i'm more familiar with the AR tho. what do you want to do with it?

ive got a bushmaster orc and a nikon m223 scope setup and have less than a grand invested and it shoots awesome never a single hitch or snag

There was a time when Colt was king of quality and desirability but no more.
They have cut corners, downsized and out sourced a lot of things.

If you stick with the LE Colts like a LE6720 or LE6920, you get all of the good parts.

I have recommend the Colt LE6920 to many people the last several years. All that have purchased have been very glad they did. Some that didn't, ended up with one later and wished they started with one.

It is a bit out of your budget. You can usually find one for under $1100. Watch out for used ones or non Colt dealers. Some have had the bolts swapped and resold on the secondary market. A mint used one will still bring 90% of new cost. The colts hold value better than the other common brands.
If you plan on adding a rail, you might even search out a LE6940 which comes stock with one, but they are getting very hard to find.

Watch out for frankenstine builds if resale is a consideration.

I have the dpms. I love it. Hard to beat for the price. Before you buy, decide what you want it for. I also strongly recommend getting one with a dust cover and forward assist. I am not a fan of leaving the internals uncovered in storage. But to each their own.

The options are endless so decide if you need hard sites or not. Do you need a carry handle or should it be removable or not have one at all. For long range target shooting or hunting you may want an upgraded magpul stock. All things to consider. Find a shop you trust locally and discuss it all with them. Preferably while handling the various weapons. You can always buy elsewhere.

This is my current setup

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1329184269.266245.jpg

Back