Advice for Long Distance Trip?

I have done a few New Hampshire to Lake George trips.

Communicators - a really good thing, i use them on the snow machines too.
GPS - like AMEX, dont leave home without it.
XM radio - gets real boring on the interstate.
Tire patch and air bottle - only one guy needs to haul that.

That's another thing, break up what you haul. For emergency items, only one is needed. You can replace it during the trip.

Last - HAVE FUN! :beerchug:

i know you guys are young but a kidney belt back support makes long hauls a little easier. i use one and it helps me out a lot. have a safe trip! :beerchug: toss up some pic's when you get back.

Here are my tips for long distance touring. I've done multiple 600 plus mile days, 2000 plus mile weeks, and an Iron Butt SS1000 on the Hayabusa.

Modifications to the Busa: TL1000 pegs for more leg room, AudioVox Cruise Control so I can rest the throttle hand, Puig double bubble screen for better wind protection, +1 front sprocket for reduced vibration.

If you are planning on running long distances, here are a few tips:

1. You should work your way up to it. There are ways to build up your endurance, but it requires lots of riding. Seat time is the best way to increase your riding distances. I know, I know, it's a sacrifice

2. Earplugs! I can't stress earplugs enough. The constant wind noise, and engine noise will wear you down. Not to mention the damage to your hearing.

3. Hydration is VERY important. Make sure you are hydrated before leaving, otherwise anything you do on the road is just playing catch-up. If you can stand wearing a small backpack while riding, I'd suggest getting a Camelbak, and learn how to drink from it on the move. It's not too hard to get the bite valve up between the chinbar of the helmet and your chin. Getting dehydrated will seriously tire you out, and you'll be taking alot of extra time at gas stops if your trying to rehydrate standing still. I drink about a liter of water per tank of gas. Slamming a redbull at each gas stop won't keep you hydrated on a long ride.

4. Compression shorts (aka bikecycle shorts under your leathers) believe it or not these can reduce saddlesore a great deal.

5. Do not rely on pills and caffine to get you through. A regiment of aspirin or Ibuprofin can mask the damage your doing to yourself.

6. Meals should not be huge, but modest in size. So no double quarter pounders and fries for lunch. Too much food will cause what some of us call 'food coma' not a good thing to go into while trying to ride. But don't try to exist on Powerbars and Gatorade. Eat sensibly.

7. Something as simple as a Throttle rocker (less than $20), can help exend your range. A cruise control of some type is better, but they're more expensive and depending on what you get can take some adjusting to get right.

I saw a recent add for a reservoir to pee in, weird,huh? But it may be considered for a super long haul like that. They are only $15 and disposable. What's next?
Posted via Mobile Device

Well I'm not sure what advice I can give man, but my brother and I did a trip to Mexico (almost to Mexico City) back in 07 on a Busa each with a trailer. So we had not a single piece of luggage on the Bike, bot even a tank bag.
Now the most we rode in one day was 870 k's which is about 545 miles or so, and that's the only day where we did get tired. All other days we only about 250 300 miles or so, and boy.... that trip is going to be tough to beat, it was the greatest ever.
...oh, and the first time we were decided to use the chatter box, it didn't work so we never had communication and it still was the best !!!!!
Check up the trip if you like, got a few pics and a bit or write up here

Third Wheel Trailers - When play becomes the long haul, we are right behind you.

Enjoy the ride, but ride safe :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I saw a recent add for a reservoir to pee in, weird,huh? But it may be considered for a super long haul like that. They are only $15 and disposable. What's next?
Posted via Mobile Device

YIKES !!!!!! ....a reservoir to pee in ?? ?? ??
oh my, now all the fun of riding is dashed, if you're riding so hard that you can't stop to pee, you're racing "literally" and not enjoying the ride

My motto is, it's not only about getting from A to Z, but also every point in between.

There is a ventura for sale at a good price in the classifieds.

Stay hydrated
Get some Frog Togs (rain gear) light weight and packable
Plug kit and small compressor or a CO2 flat kit
Do a thorough check over of the bikes before you leave
If you can carry a pistol...do it.

Its been said a few times, but get some luggage. The longest I did was only 5 hours, but I only had a backpack loaded with all my stuff and it takes its toll.

I followed evryones advice here, plus i got my tires done with ride on, which WORKED exceptionally well when i got a flat....Took tools common for light to moderate work on the bike (cant do crap with the stock tools) Weather gear also. My christmas trip to include dessert rain and Snow (Cali to seattle and back) was the best ride ive done. Good luck youll have a blast!:thumbsup:

Just jump on it and go my longest trip was about 4000 miles round trip on a 2007 busa (4 1/2 days). Stuffed the backpack full and strapped it all down on the bike. You have to stop every 150 -200 miles anyway for gas take 5 mins to rest and then head out.:thumbsup: good luck on the trip:beerchug:

What is that cable looking thing connected to all the bags?
If you look, it's tubing that goes to the back into a plastic tank prob full of water... The mouth piece is on the end by the tankbag... That's what it looks like to me, just a big Hydration system.

i got a great plug and go from pashnit.

Don't leave home without it. :thumbsup:

Img_9442_475.jpg

Buy Now: Stop n Go Tire Repair Kits Motorcycle Flat Tire | Pashnit

Img_1635_nail.jpg

Img_1638_nail.jpg

Img_9442_475.jpg

Img_1635_nail.jpg

Img_1638_nail.jpg

These wrist wraps help alleviate lots of stress on the wrists. They fit right under your gloves and make a huge difference.

wrist wrap.jpg

Whatever you do, take sufficient gear to keep dry, stongly suggest waterproof boots. No fun wet miles. You could also start spanking each other daily until you leave in order to toughen up yer butts, (sorry, that;s for the last ticket....:laugh:). That will be a long ride! +1 break it up some and you will have more fun. Enjoy, :thumbsup: Fill us in with a report.

:bowdown::thumbsup:

Everyone does long distance riding differently. I think I'm the anti-Pashnit :lol:

Just the essentials in a backpack and trunk and I'm gone. I like my touring from hotel to hotel, preferably a couple states over, at a... um... "exhilarating" rate of speed. Lots of guys I know camp out, but... well... I kinda like my nature best from a seat in front of the Discovery Channel, and NOTHING beats a hot shower and soft bed after 800+ miles. (Yeah, I'm a wooss). :laugh:

readytogo2.jpg

My last trip to The Gap. I think I overpacked. :rofl:

I've been cross-country three times in the last five years. To Deal's Gap twice. The longest I've gone in a day is a little over 1100 miles. I'm planning a L.A. > Montreal > Vancouver > L.A. trip at the beginning of June, God-willing. Road trips are exactly why I bought a Busa. Here are a few of my suggestions:

If you do hotel/motel stays, get a room on the ground floor facing the parking lot so you can bring the bike in with you for the night. They kinda frown on that but it sure beats waking up to an empty parking spot.

Small can of chain lube. If you ride tank-to-tank, lube your chain at every gas stop.

At G&G stops (Gatorade and Gas) cut the Gatorade with water. Better on the kidneys.

Munch, don't dine, until you're ready to call it a night (or day). Riding on a full stomach is agony.

Get an accessory jack for electrical stuff. Even if you don't have heated gear you're able to keep the cell phone charged.

Use that big tank and lean into it. Takes A LOT of weight off the shoulders and wrists.

Tire plug kit and some CO2s or mini-pump is a mandatory.

Ear Plugs! And if you can, get an iPod for long monotonous highway stretches. Really easy to get road-hypnotized. Riding 20 miles and not remembering anything is scary!

Let folks know your route and if you make a significant change let someone know.

Truck stops are wonderful and truckers will become your best friends. Most of them travel the same highways you will all the time so they'll know what to watch out for. Show them respect on the road and they'll treat you right.

All truck stops usually have one TV set to the Weather Channel and if you're really nice with the tip, the waitresses won't mind if you catch a hour of ZZZZZ as long as you don't make a spectacle of yourself or snore, especially if they know you're 1200 miles from home.

Most of the bikes you'll see (if any) will we full-dressed Harley's, some BMW uber-riders and 'Wings. If the weather gets bad and you see the 'Wings take off - tag along. By far, the best long-distance riders (in skill and attitude) were touring Goldwings. Most that I've met will ride through anything. And if you meet some folks on Harleys and they're going longer than 1000 miles don't get into the "sportbike v. Harley" thing. Those guys are "riders", and they probably will be astonished and impressed that you're taking that "crotch-rocket" on a roadtrip. :LOL:

Practice riding in the rain, because you'll probably get some, somewhere. Pack a small bottle of Rain-X (I know, some folks say it'll ruin your shield but I've had no problems with it).

LEO's are pretty cool if they know you're a long way from home - especially on a bike that doesn't fit the traditional touring bike. If you keep pace with the trucks your speeding will be OK. I screwed up a couple times with the no lane splitting laws (only legal in Cali) and the "drive on the left, pass on the right" thing (unheard of in Cali), and the only times I've been stopped for speed I got off because the Oklahoma trooper couldn't believe I was going to N.C. "... ON THAT??!!", and the Illinois Trooper just wanted to talk about Busas 'cause he just got one (after he told me to slow down). :lol:

The best write-up I've ever read about preparing for a long-distance ride was written by a very good friend of mine, Marc, the Cyberpoet, who passed last September. Here's the link:

CyberPoet's Tips for the Road
CyberPoet's Tips for the Road - KatRiders.com

Last edited:
Back