Advice for Long Distance Trip?

I did 39 states in a month (all the way around ) and the oonly thing I wished i'd gotten was a throttle meister . Get a KOA membership and camp at them . thier road maps are great and they show where everyone is so you can see where you want to stop and camp . They all have showerrs and laundry so you don't need a ton of clothes.

You will definitely need some type of luggage system and a bike to bike communication system. Other then that there are some great guys on here that will be able to give you some really good advice. Good luck with getting all the info you need for your long ride.

:bowdown::thumbsup:

Everyone does long distance riding differently. I think I'm the anti-Pashnit :lol:

Just the essentials in a backpack and trunk and I'm gone. I like my touring from hotel to hotel, preferably a couple states over, at a... um... "exhilarating" rate of speed.

If you do hotel/motel stays, get a room on the ground floor facing the parking lot so you can bring the bike in with you for the night. They kinda frown on that but it sure beats waking up to an empty parking spot.

Small can of chain lube. If you ride tank-to-tank, lube your chain at every gas stop.

Tire plug kit and some CO2s or mini-pump is a mandatory.

Ear Plugs! And if you can, get an iPod for long monotonous highway stretches. Really easy to get road-hypnotized. Riding 20 miles and not remembering anything is scary!

Let folks know your route and if you make a significant change let someone know.

Truck stops are wonderful and truckers will become your best friends. Most of them travel the same highways you will all the time so they'll know what to watch out for. Show them respect on the road and they'll treat you right.

All truck stops usually have one TV set to the Weather Channel and if you're really nice with the tip, the waitresses won't mind if you catch a hour of ZZZZZ as long as you don't make a spectacle of yourself or snore, especially if they know you're 1200 miles from home.

Most of the bikes you'll see (if any) will we full-dressed Harley's, some BMW uber-riders and 'Wings. If the weather gets bad and you see the 'Wings take off - tag along. By far, the best long-distance riders (in skill and attitude) were touring Goldwings. Most that I've met will ride through anything. And if you meet some folks on Harleys and they're going longer than 1000 miles don't get into the "sportbike v. Harley" thing. Those guys are "riders", and they probably will be astonished and impressed that you're taking that "crotch-rocket" on a roadtrip. :LOL:

LEO's are pretty cool if they know you're a long way from home - especially on a bike that doesn't fit the traditional touring bike. If you keep pace with the trucks your speeding will be OK. I screwed up a couple times with the no lane splitting laws (only legal in Cali) and the "drive on the left, pass on the right" thing (unheard of in Cali), and the only times I've been stopped for speed I got off because the Oklahoma trooper couldn't believe I was going to N.C. "... ON THAT??!!", and the Illinois Trooper just wanted to talk about Busas 'cause he just got one (after he told me to slow down). :lol:

Cops aren't our worry, We speak their language. I debated whether or not I should bring chain lube- thanks. I'll bring some.

I just bought a topshelf backpack, a 5.11 Rush 72, that I'm looking forward to tactically filling. As much as I like the lowdrag bags, I'm so glad I didn't put down $100+ for that one trick bag- it also seemed small.

I would have to agree, I too lean more towards packing a backpack, looking the bike over, and hitting it hard and fast. Part of the excitement of the trip is carefully selecting what items you'll need, and having faith that you've chosen the right items, and amounts.

If you can carry a pistol...do it.

As I said, we're all LEOs, and we'll be well armed. :whistle:

These two guys are tactically minded as cops and riders, so I'm comfortable riding long distance with 'em.

Are you coming to Cocoa, Florida on east coast by Cape Canveral ?

Yeah, I believe that's the area. I've never been to Florida, so I'm looking forward to it.

Thanks for the advice on the painkillers, I'll have to keep some on deck. I think I use an iPod each and everytime I ride- so I'll defininately have it for this trip.

I will say I'm torn on which boots I'll ride in- my Alpinestars riding boots or my waterproof Danner's...I'm leaning towards the Danner's due to the possibility of rain.

Speaking of rain, I'm good with riding through it. Especially after riding through it in the cold (39 degrees) with no cold weather gear. Rain just makes the ride more interesting and breaks the monatny (sp).

We better buy our Chatterboxes soon...

Thanks for all the responses
AJ

Good rain gear,throttle lock, tire repair kit and extra cash. Thats about all I take. I allways take extra cash on a trip.:thumbsup:

Chatterbox's are good once you learn how to use them ...practice before your trip ,Ive had the Blutooth one since they have been out, and I cant ride with out it .I hear eating bananas will help to keep the legs from cramping up ...& don't 4get Im a Hotel MGR and I can get "CHEAP" rates sometimes at other Choice Hotel properties and If your passing by Tampa hit me up I can put you, or anyother Org member up Dirt CHEAP :laugh:

Chatterbox's are good once you learn how to use them ...practice before your trip ,Ive had the Blutooth one since they have been out, and I cant ride with out it .I hear eating bananas will help to keep the legs from cramping up ...& don't 4get Im a Hotel MGR and I can get "CHEAP" rates sometimes at other Choice Hotel properties and If your passing by Tampa hit me up I can put you, or anyother Org member up Dirt CHEAP :laugh:

Thanks for the love on the hotel! :beerchug: We're planning on hitting up my partner's sisters house, but I'm sending a PM with my information just in case- I like having backups in place. I'm predicting we'll run out of steam before our arrival...

AJ

Looks like your options are set to NOT RECEIVE PMs... Can you change that and send me your number? I'll reply with my information.

Thanks again.

AJ

Oh and hook up a lighter out let to your battery so you can charge your phone and stuff
like IPOD ( You WILL need music !!!)

ogio no drag backpack, a change of clothes, rain gear, the suzuki gel seat don't help at all so ignore that idea... and don't forget a bottle of your choice of pain reliever cause yor sitter is gonna be killing you. Most of all enjoy yourself.:beerchug: If comfort is your number one concern buy a new bike...maybe a goldwing or such:thumbsup:

I did a 2 week 4k mile trip this last summer, we averaged about 450 miles a day. Here is the list of things I think made the trip bearable.

1. Cruise control -- not a throttle lock but real cruise control... 130.00
2. Luggage -- I have the ventura kit and 2ea 51 liter bags... about 400.00
3. Bike to bike radios, XM and phone w/ GPS -- Autocom with FRS radios - about 1500.00

I used a stock seat, stock bars and stock pegs....

CAp

No doubt! Everytime I get on the highway for a trip 3+hours, I say a prayer-especially a two-wheeled trip! I guess I got that from my mom...

AJ

Good advise,
My wife starts a prayer for me every time I open the garage in the morning.
You guys be safe,
Bubba

Riding for hours on end with a backpack will get old really fast. Soft saddle bags can be easy to setup, and can even be locked under the rear cowl if done right. They will hold more than a backpack, without you feeling the weight on your shoulders and lower back. The more comfortable you are, the more fun it will be.

+1000 on the earplugs. They have been a blessing on more than one long trip.

Last edited:
soft saddle bags can be easy to setup, and can even be locked under the rear cowl if done right. They will hold more than a backpack, without you feeling the weight on your shoulders and lower back. The more comfortable you are, the more fun it will be.

RKA Luggage - Expandable Motorcycle Travel Capable Bags | Pashnit Moto

Lot of solutions out there, and everyone has their favorites. Find something that works and go get it. :thumbsup:

Dsc04436_800.jpg

Dsc04438_800.jpg

Dsc04438_800.jpg

Dsc04436_800.jpg

Back