A YouTube Upload Question..

HillbillyTom

Donating Member
Registered
Got some Hi Def footage from the GoProHD here, and am having some problems uploading it to YouTube. It's a 8 minute video, but is taking over 4 hours to upload. I'm good with this, but.. everytime I've tried to upload it, it gets a couple of hours into it and stops. Just says "error". Shows on my video list as "upload abborted".:banghead:
Anybody else had a problem with this, and how did you get around it?
I know there's a way, I'm seeing GPHD videos all over YouTube.

Both times I've tried to upload it, the comp has run some kind of update in the middle. Could this be the problem? It always does it while I'm away and the comp is in "sleep" mode. I know it's not the sleep mode doing it as it's snoozed off before, and when I opened it again, the vid was still uploading.

i just simply uploaded it. did a 10 min 1080p and it took 30 mins.

im sure the error after 4 hours is due to a timeout. what format are they in? raw? might want to convert to something else and try that.

Convert the video to something other than mp4. 4 hours is way too long. You can also set the resolution on your camera to r2, lots smaller file sizes. :beerchug:

Yes, it's the MP4 (MPEG4) that the camera downloaded it to the computer on.
Guess I may have to look for a way to convert it to something else.

Convert the video to something other than mp4. 4 hours is way too long. You can also set the resolution on your camera to r2, lots smaller file sizes. :beerchug:
Yes, I recorded them on R3 (720P 60FRS), beautiful quality videos, don't really want to downgrade. I'll keep working with it. Be looking for a way to convert them to another format. Other people are getting them on there, gotta be a way.

i just simply uploaded it. did a 10 min 1080p and it took 30 mins.

im sure the error after 4 hours is due to a timeout. what format are they in? raw? might want to convert to something else and try that.

What format did you use?

You still view in HD. Upload to Vimeo, much better than Youtube.
Posted via Mobile Device

Same thing happened to me, I think whoever said to convert it is right, it doesn't like that format for some reason.

I use the AVS too. Check out the Mt Scott thread and view the vimeo link. R2 resolution converted to mpeg in HD.
Posted via Mobile Device

Checked out the AVS converter. $60 a year or there's a watermark on the videos.
Vimeo is also $60 per year.

This is sure turning into a royal (and expensive) PITA.

I've been editing and converting in MS Movie Maker Live It's free but you need Windows 7. If you don't have Windows 7, you can buy Quicktime Pro for $30 which will let you edit and convert.

I've been editing and converting in MS Movie Maker Live It's free but you need Windows 7. If you don't have Windows 7, you can buy Quicktime Pro for $30 which will let you edit and convert.

Glad to hear it's working for you.:thumbsup:
I just downloaded Movie Maker Live a little bit ago (just got a new comp with 7 a few weeks ago). It seems to want to convert to WMV, doesn't hurt the video quality that I can tell, and looks to be a smaller file. May be in luck after all.
See what YouTube thinks about it after a while.

Any updates? I have some raw video I could upload as a test if you want me too.

You've got to lower your uploading file size. Youtube has a 2GB limit (which is still a HUGE file to upload). 2GB is about 10 minutes in HD mode, so you've got to convert to something that reduces the original file size (remember, youtube is still going to downconvert it some)....Take a look at your original .mp4 file size. If it's over 2GB, don't even bother trying. A GB could take 3 hours or so to Upload...

Yes, I think I've discovered the problem. It was my new computer playing a trick on me.
Got to thinking, the uploads only errored out while I was gone for a while, so.. I had a look at the "sleep" mode settings, and sure enough, the computer was set to shut the display off after 5 minutes and put itself to sleep after 20. The screen would go blank, I'd hit a key and it would come back on with the vid still uploading. But, if I left, the computer would go to sleep mode after 20 minutes, disrupting the upload.
I changed the sleep mode timer to 5 hours (while I'm doing videos), and no more problems.
Another case of, a huge problem with a simple answer.:duh:
Anyway, I'm working with the Movie Maker Live program for editing (converts the format from MP4 to WMV) now too. Got one uploaded but waiting for YouTube to "process" it.
If everything works with the MM Live, I'll put some on the free part of Vimeo too.
Back on the road again until the next big problem comes along.:laugh:

Thanks everyone for your help. Always great to have somewhere to turn to for these things.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
You've got to lower your uploading file size. Youtube has a 2GB limit (which is still a HUGE file to upload). 2GB is about 10 minutes in HD mode, so you've got to convert to something that reduces the original file size (remember, youtube is still going to downconvert it some)....Take a look at your original .mp4 file size. If it's over 2GB, don't even bother trying. A GB could take 3 hours or so to Upload...

I run out of time before I run out of capacity. At 720P 60FPS, 1GB gets me right around 11 to 12 minutes of video. The 7:46 video I was fighting with was 846MB. Still taking 4 hours+ to upload.
The Movie Maker Live, after it converts it to WMV, reduces the file size by almost half. Still waiting on YouTube to process it to see how the quality is. Didn't seem to degrade it much of any when watching it here on my comp.
As for the long upload times, I've noticed the cable broadband I have can do up to 5MB download speeds, but only 512KB uploads, no matter which download speed service I buy. Stonkin' fast download speed, dial-up upload speed. While we're on the subject, is that a normal thing? Or do I need to be looking for another ISP too?

Seem to have it figured out. Got some uploaded in both converted and raw files. The Movie Maker conversion along with the YouTube upload degraded the vid quality a little, but only noticable in full screen. The raw file footage turned out quite well.
They're dirt bike videos so I won't bother everyone with them, but hopefully I can get a decent, warm, dry day soon to get some road videos.
Thanks again everyone for all the feedback and replies.:thumbsup:

Tom

Back