A question about generator running funny

bs72069

Registered
Any small engine guru's know what would cause it to run rough sometimes. the throttle raises and lowers and back fires sometimes occasionally. Then other times it runs smooth like it should. Would bad gas, dirty air filter, dirty fuel filter cause to run rough. Any help or ideas would be helpful since its the only source of electricity i have till the power company makes it to my house.

I owuld say its something to do with the Air Filter, or the plugs... suggest you check it out!

Is it a Techumsa (sp) engine. Mine does the same thing until it is warmed up. Makes a horrible racket in the beginning but then seem to even out. Might just be the design.

Chris

Pull the carb bowl off and clean the main jet with a welding tip cleaner (small pin type of thingy). That usually helps mine if it has been sitting.

It's probably a gunked up carb.

Once you get it running smoothly, it's a good idea to install a fuel line shut-off, if it doesn't have one already. When you know you're not going to be using it for a while, crank it up, shut off the gas and let it run out of fuel (don't forget to turn off the switch after). You'll run all of the fuel out of the carb this way. Nothing left to gum up the works.

Would bad gas, dirty air filter, dirty fuel filter cause to run rough.[/QUOTE]

that's a joke right?
rock.gif

for right now just keep it running. ONce you have power back then clean out the carb real good. Some times generators will do that if they get a power surge, like a momentary drop of the load like when the A/C kicks off or something of that nature and if this is thecase don't worry about it and just keep it running.

Back