A little video to get you talking

HawaiiFiveOh

Registered
Had a guy at work tell me about this vid today at work. I'm not one of those people who like to push my views on others, but it's at least worth the conversation/debate over what it is, or what is going on in the world today. By the way, after reading the comments on youtube it is said the guy on the phone is lying, but who knows.

Last edited by a moderator:
i have no doubt that there is another intelligent life form somewhere close by (relatively) and that they are studying us... whether it is benign or malicious is yet to be determined... and it may be the case that there is more than one species doing investigation on us... just saying... there is too much evidence pointing that way... and probability says that we are not alone...

I dont know what to say... I would like to believe but until i see it in person i will be skeptical. Im a darwinism fan so I will entertain the thought of other itelligent species out there ...somewhere:laugh:

The truth IS stranger than fiction. Mankind or extraterestrial, somebody's flying unconventional aircraft.

Things like this end up making my head hurt, like thinking about the possibility that we as a planet are like "someone's" little ant farm. It's a little unsettling to me, and I like to think I"m no nutjob.:whistle:

Interesting. I think that to believe we are the only sentient beings in the universe is very egotistical. The ring shown over Russia looked very "Independence Day". The phone call to the radio show is hard to take serious, but, I cannot attest to it one way or the other.

Things that make you go hmmmm.

I have no doubt there are other intelligent species somewhere out there. The universe is so damn massive its incomprehensible. So just the sheer random odds that a few planets somewhere have life-supporting features, and that life randomly started would tell me (when considering the size of our universe) that there is more life than just us.

However, this is a double-edged sword. The sheer size of the universe and how spread out it is, makes it just about impossible for us to ever make contact with any other life forms. The best odds of another intelligent, developed society comes from other nearby galaxies, which have a lot of suns relatively the same size as ours. But these galaxies are so far that they are quite un-reachable. It takes light itself 42,000 years to travel to the nearest galaxy, which is actually a very small galaxy, thus the odds are smaller for it to have life. But I will assume there is sentient life there, for the sake of illustration. So considering our space shuttles go ~17,000 mph, it would take ~1.7 BILLION years for us to go that distance. For reference, the universe itself is ~13.8 billion years old.

Now granted, if there were a hypothetical species out there that has developed technology taking them much faster than we ever could, even if they go 100 times faster than us, thats still 17 million years of traveling, assuming they knew in advance exactly where they were going and how to get there. This includes finding us, somehow determining we are intelligent, plotting a course, and creating some kind of sustaining, self-contained ship to hold an entire race of people to breed, grow food, etc etc, all with one common goal to reach us. And when they get here, after all that travelling, I bet you a brand new 'busa that they would want to sit down, have a beer, and watch the ****in game, before they even begin to think about conquering/demolishing us...

*edit*
and this self-sustaining ship would have to grow and create from scratch the fuel they need, on the fly, in order to do any kind of maneuvering over those millions of years. You arent carrying that much fuel with you. Plus, you would need extremely good calculations to pinpoint exactly where our planet will be 17 million years from the time you left, taking into account that as you observe the planet from your home planet, you are seeing where it was 42,000 years ago, not where it is currently.

Believe me, I love hearing about ufo sightings, and these conspiracy theories, because they are very entertaining. Very much like a sci-fi novel, or a movie, but they are nothing more than that.

what if they just folded space... like from Dune... or created a controlled wormhole to travel... or one of many other theories we have in quantum physics and string theory today...

if you're willing to admit the possibility of ET's, i applaud you... now take it to the next step and lets say that these beings are so unlike us that they dont even think like us and have already reached the point where they can do this.

what if they just folded space... like from Dune... or created a controlled wormhole to travel... or one of many other theories we have in quantum physics and string theory today...

if you're willing to admit the possibility of ET's, i applaud you... now take it to the next step and lets say that these beings are so unlike us that they dont even think like us and have already reached the point where they can do this.

bending space and wormholes are sci-fi.

The theory of wormholes (if I am correct in my recollection) came from the discovery of black holes. It was thought that maybe at the center of a black hole a wormhole exists that takes you elsehwere, because they couldnt explain where all this matter (and the light itself) was going. It seemed to 'disapear'... Well all a black hole is, is a massive chunk of stuff... It is a star that ran out of energy. Essentially stars are ballancing acts. You have the gravity of all the material pulling towards the center, and the energy from the fuel reacting pushing outwards. When the fuel runs out, it collapses as theres nothing pushing outwards anymore. So its the same mass, just in a very very small area. There is no 'hole' at all. The interesting aspects of black holes come when you get extremely close to them, as gravity is a square function of distance, so it gets stronger and stronger the closer you get, to the point that not even light can escape. Everything is still there, it hasnt gone anywhere. This is where it was all going, and thus, there is no such thing as a wormhole, stable or unstable.

As for folding space, we have no reasoning to back this up. Again, just a theory. The theory came from Einstein's theory that gravity is due to mass displacing the fabric of space and time. So if you think about it, a planet is like a bowling ball sitting on a sheet. It presses down and makes a dent around it. Well this happens with space and time around all object, and there is a larger deflection around bigger objects. Now while one could theoretically make the connection that if large objects can displace it, one may be able to control this somehow, right? Well to even make a displacement the size of a planet takes a massive ammount of force (i.e. the weight of the entire planet). Think about how much force you would have to generate to displace the entire space time 'fabric' of the whole universe... When in reality, the size of a planet to the universe is like the size of a germ to the planet Earth...

Go back 50 years, how much science fiction then is science fact now? Alot. Narrow mindedness never advances.

and I realize this. Which is by far the most intreguing aspect to discussions like these. I enjoy thinking about the 'what-ifs' and such... However, while we still have a LOOOONG way to go, and a lot more advancing we can do, I dont think we could ever get to that point. There are certain limits that are unsurpassable by matter, as dictated by the laws of physics. Now granted, there may be more that we have yet to discover/study, but as far as we can tell, there is no way that matter can reach the speed of light. And even at the speed of light, these distances are still unreachable.

Back