A gift from a neighbor

Bumblebee

Donating Member
Registered
So my neighbor just dropped by and gave me an airbag vest....

Not in any great hurry to try it out though.....

IMG_0898.JPG

IMG_0899.JPG

Lol, I bet.
One thing I remember reading about those was that the vest, vs the whole jacket, was more dangerous under a regular riding jacket.
Reason being, an airbag jacket is designed around the airbag.
But, if you put a normal riding jacket on over an airbag vest, the regular jacket is designed to fit snug, and if it is made of high strength materials with strong threads and seems, then the jacket is not going to expand as far as the airbag can...causing the airbag to expand against your ribbs, and potentially breaking them.
I wouldn't want to find out how true that is, but it does make some sense, given the speed the airbag expands at.
It's still a cool piece of gear though.
I'de wear it on the roof of the house, or mowing...lots of folks flip garden tractors
lol

I just did a little research on it....they are used for equestrian and motorcycle riding and are designed to be worn over a jacket (like a vest).

They are supposed to be a top tier vest though and I choked when I saw what they are worth....the neighbor said he got it for nothing so is passing that down...

I will however make him a large container of the wife's Christmas baked goods....

What I don't understand is on airbag vests and jackets, when it deploys, isn't already too late? On a vehicle, the sensors are on the perimeter of the car, about 2-6 feet away from the passenger, deploying airbags as soon as impact occurs. On the the vest or jacket, you don't have that separation. In a tumbling or sliding situation it could be helpful though.

What I don't understand is on airbag vests and jackets, when it deploys, isn't already too late? On a vehicle, the sensors are on the perimeter of the car, about 2-6 feet away from the passenger, deploying airbags as soon as impact occurs. On the the vest or jacket, you don't have that separation.
This one is on a tether so I guess you have to part ways from the bike before it deploys but does so extremely quickly...

In the research I just did, some European countries are considering making them mandatory for motorcycle riders....

I just did a little research on it....they are used for equestrian and motorcycle riding and are designed to be worn over a jacket (like a vest).

They are supposed to be a top tier vest though and I choked when I saw what they are worth....the neighbor said he got it for nothing so is passing that down...

I will however make him a large container of the wife's Christmas baked goods....
So . . . forget the Christmas hamper . .
get him one of these bad boys in return . . .
Season 17 Laughing GIF by The Simpsons

probably as much chance of being attacked these days, as having a crash on your bike lol!

So . . . forget the Christmas hamper . .
get him one of these bad boys in return . . .
View attachment 1674231
probably as much chance of being attacked these days, as having a crash on your bike lol!
Free is free...even if I never use it, now I have one.....

....and one just never knows if a crash will happen, I always wear full gear all the time anyway, what's one more thing to wear....

In the research I just did, some European countries are considering making them mandatory for motorcycle riders....
After watching YT vids of street racing/roll racing in the USA (650iB for instance) with guys riding at 190mph with no jacket, just a T shirt, jeans, soft shoes, helmet and no gloves, I cannot see these vests taking off in the US market.... or laws like the one you mentioned gaining traction there either.
Here in NZ when I was working the bike shop we sold A Stars air bag jackets, but very few. Maybe 4 or 5 a year. They are very heavy and cumbersome to wear, not to mention close to$3000.
Most bikers here are middle aged to old farts and have ridden all their lives in a t shirt, jersey and old leather jacket.
It's hard to educate oldies on safety.

After watching YT vids of street racing/roll racing in the USA (650iB for instance) with guys riding at 190mph with no jacket, just a T shirt, jeans, soft shoes, helmet and no gloves, I cannot see these vests taking off in the US market.... or laws like the one you mentioned gaining traction there either.
Here in NZ when I was working the bike shop we sold A Stars air bag jackets, but very few. Maybe 4 or 5 a year. They are very heavy and cumbersome to wear, not to mention close to$3000.
Most bikers here are middle aged to old farts and have ridden all their lives in a t shirt, jersey and old leather jacket.
It's hard to educate oldies on safety.
This thing weighs very little and as a vest to wear over my jacket shouldn't be very cumbersome...

As we know Europe does things the US (or Canada) would never consider...an airbag law is most likely one of those things....

This one is on a tether so I guess you have to part ways from the bike before it deploys but does so extremely quickly...

Ahh that makes sense

Air bag vests and jackets with a buikt in airbag should be seen as important as a helmet.
The best ones are Helite and Alpinestars. Dainese and Klim also offer them .
They aren’t cheap but watch the vid of how they work and you’ll be impressed.
They have airbag pants too which is overkill for some.

One thing I forgot to add regarding fitment from Alpinestars…
Put on your jacket, zip it up and if you can grasp a full fistfull of jacket material at the chest area with one hand then you have enough room for vest expansion.

Air bag vests and jackets with a buikt in airbag should be seen as important as a helmet.
The best ones are Helite and Alpinestars. Dainese and Klim also offer them .
They aren’t cheap but watch the vid of how they work and you’ll be impressed.
They have airbag pants too which is overkill for some.

This one is very similar to the Helite model, they look almost identical.

Sounds like a good way to price motorcycling out of reach for alot, to help get rid of them, as bikes don't seem to be liked much by lawmakers in Europe anymore, based on what I hear from the European members here.

Sounds like a good way to price motorcycling out of reach for alot, to help get rid of them, as bikes don't seem to be liked much by lawmakers in Europe anymore, based on what I hear from the European members here.
Goes to show you no matter where you live, governments thrive on sucking the fun out of things....

I did auto collision estimating for much of my early career. Periodically we would get to go to courses on collision repair, etc. Once in a while the instructor would demonstrate an air bag by placing the unit (removed from the steering wheel) face down on the ground and deploying it with a battery. Some of them go some decent altitude. Pretty fun.

Back