A few help questions. First day at track.

Will the Tobin help at the track ?

Which one is on the bike in the picture ? Looks like what I want. Where do I find a swing arm like that ?

thanks
I'll take notice

The tobin will help. As you found out... yoy slip around with the stocker. The rise in the back will help.

The one near the front of the table is the one on the bike in that picture. It was built by McIntosh. He was not building any when I started looking for one. I ended finding this one used. I believe Spencers is building one like it.

It works pretty well on my bike. Stops the power wheelies but it will still come up if not launched correctly.

After making a bunch of swb passes and now being extended I wouldnt just add an inch or two. It wont make a big enough difference for the time and money. Adding 4" to my bike only helped knock 3 tenths off my time. So id figure an inch or two wouldnt be much more than 1-1.5 tenths. I can only add 4" because of the tail on the gen2. If I had a gen1 I would run my bike at 64" the front will still want to come up even at that length. Im at 62 and still fight wheelies all the way through first.

And to your other question get the bike as low as you can before you run into ground clearance issues. The lower the less it will want to wheelie:beerchug:

Are you running a stock shock and spring on the rear? Rear suspension setup can cause make or break a drag bike.

OK

I am going with a seat,lowering the front with the Triple,lowering the rear to the last setting on the dog bones,stock front sprocket and a lot more seat time. I will also foot shift it with no clutch.

Thanks for all the help guys. I will keep you posted.

Will it help to run without an air filter ?

Leave the stock filter in it. It will not make enough difference to risk the damage. THe stock filter is a pretty good unit.

Are you running a stock shock and spring on the rear? Rear suspension setup can cause make or break a drag bike.

Sorry to the OP, dont mean to sidetrack your thread, but maybe this will help others too:please:

Im using a jri rear shock with a 750lb spring on it (im 232lbs suited). I dont know if it helped because I did it at the same time as the swingarm (im at 62.2"). I have my sag set at 1/2" at the tail light, and when I launch the bike it squats another 2". And the rebound set at 15 clicks from full stiff (there are almost 75 clicks of adjustability or so). What do you think?

Here is a slip from the last time out, i was in the left lane "blue bike"

002.jpg

And I tried to do a search for the gatlin seat and couldnt find anything. I also have a carbonfiber catalyst big guy seat and just didnt like the way it fits to the tail. It bows in where your legs go so it digs into the sides of the tail piece at those points. Does your do this too?

Last edited:
Sean it is hard to say about your adjustments. Have someone video the bike on launch and see how it is working. There can be a point when the angle of the swing arm changd too much which can aid in the climb toward a wheelie. Not sure if you are getting there or not. If you were running a stock reat shock with the extended length, you would likely see it happen. The added length changes the mechanical advantage against the shock, so something has to be done to get it back.

Excellent times!

I haven't had problem with the catalyst since I reinforced it. I did have to reshape the edges for a bit more clearance. Mine is an 03 so the fit may be different on my bike.

Here is Gatlins Seat, I'm not sure if he is building an 08/09 model or not. http://www.gatlinracing.com/documents/home.html

Last edited:
A friend of mine took video and should have it later today. Maybe you Guru's can help me more when I get that posted.

Thanks again for the help. Can't wait to get back to the track.

looked like you were doing pretty good. i dont know how you were pulling those 60ft times from 2500. i tried low rpms and it kept bogging down and even stalled once. after i straped the front end and left the line at 6-7 grand is what helped me alot. i have been thinking about putting the 6inch blocks on mine after seeing that 750 run 9.5s

looked like you were doing pretty good. i dont know how you were pulling those 60ft times from 2500. i tried low rpms and it kept bogging down and even stalled once. after i straped the front end and left the line at 6-7 grand is what helped me alot. i have been thinking about putting the 6inch blocks on mine after seeing that 750 run 9.5s

Don't believe that Ira's kids bike is really a 750 motor. You know Ira :laugh:

Back