A cop after me

I don't see anything about the windshield, but it looks like you don't have much of an argument on the pipes
sad.gif

http://home.ama-cycle.org/amaccess/laws/result.asp?state=NY

I don't see see how he can nail you on the windshield thing. I don't believe it's even a requirement for a motorcycle to have a windshield. In some states like FL you must wear eye protection (helemt-glasses, etc.). All sorts of street legal motorcycles on the showroom floor don't even have windshields.

Exhaust is another story.

Illinois is the first state that I know of to use those cameras to give out speeding tickets. I was on my way to Kankakee the other week and saw the warning signs on the interstate. They were monitoring the speed in a construction zone. White van had the camera in it. At least the state put up warning signs.

And with the newer Harleys, if you put an aftermarket exhaust on, you void the warranty. That is, unless it is the Screaming Eagle stuff which is HD. Talk about a way to make sure that they get additional money from people who buy their bikes!
Well I'm surprised they put up the warning signs, or are you just quoting
the email that was sent around about it ??

As far as Harley's voiding their warranty with aftermarket exhaust, I don't
know who told you that, but they were wrong. If you do it yourself maybe.
Not if you have an authorized Harley Davidson dealership do it for you.

I have to read that long post above about the Magnusson act thingy
DC,MD,VA has had them for a long time there are no signs near the camera cars and the vans in DC on the side of the road but the fixed cameras all have warnings about photo enforcement ahead.

I don't see see how he can nail you on the windshield thing.  I don't believe it's even a requirement for a motorcycle to have a windshield.  In some states like FL you must wear eye protection (helemt-glasses, etc.).  All sorts of street legal motorcycles on the showroom floor don't even have windshields.

that's what I was thinking. There's more cruisers without windshields, than with them ??

I am in Nycity, a cop stoped me and gave a ticket ,according to him my windshield is not dot approved,he also said my slipon Micron isn t legal, i am going crazy,because he waits for me near my house,i need some help please.
deadhorse.gif
All aftermarket pipes are illegal according to the manufactures it's stamped not for street use or something to that effect seems like it's only really enforced if there is a noise ordinance but saying that most stock pipes don't past the noise ordinance in some states or counties here in Denver, they tested a range of new bikes off the show room floor and they all failed after so many tickets bikers just avoided the area.

I don't see see how he can nail you on the windshield thing.  I don't believe it's even a requirement for a motorcycle to have a windshield.  In some states like FL you must wear eye protection (helemt-glasses, etc.).  All sorts of street legal motorcycles on the showroom floor don't even have windshields.

I agree about the windshield. As interpreted by NY law, you need to be able to see through it, and it has to pass a refractor test. It's bogus when applied to sport bikes, but it's a fight that can't be won if it's painted, has an overly dark tint, or is plastered with decals. It's all about how the cop, and the law interpret what is acceptable. It sounds like the cop was breaking stones in this case. I hope we get some more feedback about the actual incident.

Illinois is the first state that I know of to use those cameras to give out speeding tickets. I was on my way to Kankakee the other week and saw the warning signs on the interstate. They were monitoring the speed in a construction zone. White van had the camera in it. At least the state put up warning signs.

And with the newer Harleys, if you put an aftermarket exhaust on, you void the warranty. That is, unless it is the Screaming Eagle stuff which is HD. Talk about a way to make sure that they get additional money from people who buy their bikes!
You came to my town and didn't visit?
heart_broke.gif

What is the first thing a harley owner does to the bike when it gets broke in> REMOVE THE BAFFELS AND GET IT REJETTED... just removing the baffles is illegal..

a copy of Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act Should become a sticky incase a member has an issue like this it will be easy to find.
Do not forget about EPA/CARB issues... although a part may not technically void your warranty, you will likely (in emissions related mods) be in direct violation of federal laws..

Exhaust/PAIR valve/Airbox mods all put you in violation.. sure it may not void your warranty, but you could be ticketed or literally charged with federal violations.. (I think the makers of the Powercommander just paid a 7 figure fine on this issue)

i grew up in Brooklyn and i know they should have better stuff to do than hassle you about your windshield and pipe?? i guess they have all the drug dealers,pimps,hookers,drug addicts/petty thief,gangs and the mafia all in line?? i think layin low for a bit like somone else said might be the best and cheapest way out for you...i know a few of those guys and some of them are nuts!!

I am in Nycity, a cop stoped me and gave a ticket ,according to him my windshield is not dot approved,he also said my slipon Micron isn t legal, i am going crazy,because he waits for me near my house,i need some help please.
deadhorse.gif
I have a busa 2002,with 18k miles on it, i have a dark somoke windscreen ,a slip on micron,not LOUD,and a ufo undertail(according to the Cop,it s DOT illegal(the signal lights) that s all(i got a tiket for $30 dollares for the windsscreen,but he saty on the same spot on my path, i am going crazy. Just to let you know, he stoped me 3 times since last summer.
wtf.gif
(i ll try to place some pics soon)

deadhorse.gif
I have a busa 2002,with  18k miles on it, i have a dark somoke windscreen ,a  slip on micron,not LOUD,and a ufo undertail(according to the Cop,it s DOT illegal(the signal lights) that s all(i got a tiket for $30 dollares for the windsscreen,but he saty on the same spot on my  path, i am  going crazy. Just to let you know, he stoped me 3 times since last summer.
wtf.gif
(i ll try to place some pics soon)
You are obviously an easy target. Your exhaust is more than likely not street legal, even though it's not much louder than stock. You might win on the windshield issue. You'll lose on the undertail, as the lights don't meet the minimum surface area for the lenses (size of directionals, brake light).

Change your flight path, park your bike at a friend's place, or rent a spot somewhere else.

If you really feel that you are "innocent" in this case, and can clearly state your case you can try and fight it. If you are in a school, or hospital zone, FORGET it, you don't stand a chance.

What you can do is bring your bike down to the precinct during the cop's shift, with copies of all the violations. Dress for business, not a tee-shirt and jeans. Go and ask for the watch sergeant. If he or she is not available, leave your contact info, and why you need to see him/her. If he/she is available, politely explain your situation, and offer to show them your bike, to see if they agree. Do NOT say anything negative about the cop writing the tickets, but you can say that you strongly disagree, and feel as though you are being unfairly targeted. If you present yourself in an articulate, and business like demeanor, odds are that somebody will at least listen to you. Possibly even get the heat off of you as well.

You do know that you can get equipment violations waived if you put your bike in compliance, right? All you needed to do was temporarily go back to stock.

BTW, what precinct is the cop assigned to?

Back