A cop after me

Velloz

Registered
I am in Nycity, a cop stoped me and gave a ticket ,according to him my windshield is not dot approved,he also said my slipon Micron isn t legal, i am going crazy,because he waits for me near my house,i need some help please.
deadhorse.gif

Is he wrong about the windshield and exhaust? He shouldn't be waiting for you though.

Pics may help. I thought most of the name brand after market stuff was DOT approved, could be wrong though. If the pipe has been modified or violates the noise ordinance then it's a lost cause. Either way he SHOULDN'T be waiting on you but that may not be entire illegal. Try the harrassment thing.

I am in Nycity, a cop stoped me and gave a ticket ,according to him my windshield is not dot approved,he also said my slipon Micron isn t legal, i am going crazy,because he waits for me near my house,i need some help please.
deadhorse.gif
Either go 100% legal or find another route.
Apparently the cop has a disliking for riders.

Either that or you got lippy with him and he FOUND something to
write you tickets for. Sounds like you need to find an alternate path.
The path of lawyer + harrassment will be a lost cause when your
bike does have illegal components on it.

Is it petty? Yes, but it's still the law. Yes, it sucks.
Find an alternate route. I'd say 99% of the owners here have
something NOT DOT approved on their bikes......it's an easy target
for harassment, and you won't win.

I thought ALL aftermarket exhausts were illegal. When I got mine put on, I was going to just throw my stock ones away, and the dealer told me I would need them to get through inspection.

I had a friend that had a Mustang, and a cop gave him a ticket for his window tint, and said his exhaust was too loud (this was on his way to work). That same cop gave him a ticket almost everyday for like 2 weeks, until he got rid of them?

I thought ALL aftermarket exhausts were illegal.
To my understanding they are.
That includes every single Harley Davidson that you hear rumbling by.
Harleys ALL come with corn popper exhaust that 100% of hog owners swap off. (illegal)
But, it's kinda like the Muscle Car VS Ricer on the street.
Police target ricers first because of the age group.

Same thing with Rice Rockets VS Harleys.
They will nail a Rice rider before a Harley or Muscle Car.

Trust me, been this way for years.
It is what it is.
Lately states (like IL for instance) are hurting to
produce a good annual budget without money missing
where do you think the missing funds will be coming from???

Tickets.
whistling.gif

Illinois is the first state that I know of to use those cameras to give out speeding tickets. I was on my way to Kankakee the other week and saw the warning signs on the interstate. They were monitoring the speed in a construction zone. White van had the camera in it. At least the state put up warning signs.

And with the newer Harleys, if you put an aftermarket exhaust on, you void the warranty. That is, unless it is the Screaming Eagle stuff which is HD. Talk about a way to make sure that they get additional money from people who buy their bikes!

Each and eveery State is different. Some states like CT do not make you go in for inspections. Others do the whole thing. Best advise is avoid this guy. Don;t even let him see you for a month or so.

Illinois is the first state that I know of to use those cameras to give out speeding tickets. I was on my way to Kankakee the other week and saw the warning signs on the interstate. They were monitoring the speed in a construction zone. White van had the camera in it. At least the state put up warning signs.

And with the newer Harleys, if you put an aftermarket exhaust on, you void the warranty. That is, unless it is the Screaming Eagle stuff which is HD. Talk about a way to make sure that they get additional money from people who buy their bikes!

Show this to your Harley Dealer and I bet he sings a different tune.

Warranty Policies
Will installing this modification affect my warranty? My dealer told me it would.
Often a dealership will tell you that installing an after market product will void your warranty. This is completely false. Warranty work pays a service department a lower rate than regular work. By promoting the idea that after market products will void warranties, many dealers will avoid the lower paying work and charge the regular rate for service which should be covered under warranty.

Do I have any legal protection concerning my vehicle and after market equipment?
Yes vehicle owners are protected by federal law. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty "“ Federal Trade Commission Improvement Act of 1975. Under the Magnuson-Moss Act, after market equipment which improves performance does not void a vehicle manufacturer's original warranty, unless the warranty clearly and conspicuously states that after market equipment voids the warranty. Most states have warranty statutes, as well, which provide further protections for vehicle owners.

It say's in my owner's manual that after market products or modifications are not covered under warranty what does this mean?
Most of the time the manufacturer is only stating that he will not cover the after market components. He is not saying that the products would void the vehicle warranty.

My dealer refuses to warranty repairs on my vehicle because I have installed after market equipment on my vehicle.
Point out to the dealer the provisions of the Magnuson-Moss Act. Require that he explain to you how the after market equipment caused the problem. If he can't "“ or his explanation sounds questionable "“ it is your legal right to demand he comply with the warranty. If your still unfairly denied warranty contact: The Federal Trade Commission, which administers the Magnuson-Moss Act, monitors compliance with warranty law. Direct complaints to the FTC at (202) 326-3128.

Understanding the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act
Nearly everyone has heard about someone who has taken a vehicle that has been modified with aftermarket parts to a dealer for warranty service, only to have the dealer refuse to cover the defective items. The dealer usually states that because of the aftermarket parts the warranty is void, without even attempting to determine whether the aftermarket part caused the problem.
This is illegal.
Vehicle manufacturers are not allowed to void the vehicle warranty just because aftermarket parts are on the vehicle. They must be able to prove that the aftermarket parts are indeed at fault. To better understand this problem it is best to know the differences between the two types of new car warranties and the two types of emission warranties.
When a vehicle is purchased new and the owner is protected against the faults that may occur by an expressed warranty - an offer by the manufacturer to assume the responsibility for problems with predetermined parts during a stated period of time. Beyond the expressed warranty, the vehicle manufacturer is often held responsible for further implied warranties. These state that a manufactured product should meet certain standards. However, in both cases, the mere presence of aftermarket parts doesn't void the warranty.
There are also two emission warranties (defect and performance) required under the clean air act. The defect warranty requires the manufacturer to produce a vehicle which, at the time of sale, is free of defects that would cause it to not meet the required emission levels for it's useful life as defined in the law. The performance warranty implies a vehicle must maintain certain levels of emission performance over it's useful life. If the vehicle fails to meet the performance warranty requirements, the manufacturer must make repairs at no cost to the owner, even if an aftermarket part is directly responsible for a warranty claim, the vehicle manufacturer cannot void the performance warranty. This protection is the result of a parts self - certification program developed by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA).
In cases where such a failed aftermarket part is responsible for a warranty claim, the vehicle manufacturer must arrange a settlement with the part manufacturer, but by law the new - vehicle warranty is not voided.
Overall, the laws governing warranties are very clear. The only time a new vehicle warranty can be voided is if an aftermarket part has been installed and it can be proven that it is responsible for an emission warranty claim. However, a vehicle manufacturer or dealership cannot void a warranty simply because an an aftermarket equipment has been installed on a vehicle.
If a dealership denies a warranty claim and you think the claim falls under the rules explained above concerning the clean air act (such as an emission part failure), obtain a written explanation of the dealers refusal. Then follow the steps outlined in the owners manual. However, if this fails, then phone your complaint in to the EPA at (202) 233-9040 or (202) 326-9100.
If a dealer denies a warranty claim involving an implied or expressed new car warranty and you would like help, you can contact the Federal Trade Commission (FTC). The FTC works for the consumer to prevent fraudulent, deceptive and unfair business practices in the marketplace and to provide information to help consumers spot, stop and avoid them. To file a complaint, you can call toll-free, 1-877-FTC-HELP (1-877-382-4357), or use the online complaint form. The FTC enters Internet, telemarketing, and other fraud-related complaints into Consumer Sentinel, a secure, online database available to hundreds of civil and criminal law enforcement agencies worldwide.

I got it off another forum on the same topic. Don't know where it came from but I'm sure you can search for it and find it. Phone numbers should be legit.

a copy of Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act Should become a sticky incase a member has an issue like this it will be easy to find.

I will start another thread with this info and the Admins can take it from there.

Well I'm surprised they put up the warning signs, or are you just quoting
the email that was sent around about it ??

As far as Harley's voiding their warranty with aftermarket exhaust, I don't
know who told you that, but they were wrong. If you do it yourself maybe.
Not if you have an authorized Harley Davidson dealership do it for you.

I have to read that long post above about the Magnusson act thingy

deadhorse.gif
You aren't telling us the whole story, are you?

If your windshield is super dark, painted, covered with decals, or even iridium, it's not considered legal. Most aftermarket exhausts are for "Race use only".

Having ridden around NYC for many years, you have to have done something to tick off the cop if he's going out of his way to hassle you (noise, stunting, speeding). If your neighbors complained about you enough, he'll watch for you until your bike is in "compliance", or you go away.

Sometimes the cops go on a DOT conformity blitz, and guys with non DOT helmets get stopped, ape-hangers, straight pipes, lights that are not approved, no mirrors, etc., become easy targets, and generate lots of $$ for the borough you live in. Trust me on this one, even a P.B.A. card won't help you out
whistling.gif

Don't waste your time in Traffic Court, the arbitrator will just send you to the cashier. Either lay low for a week or so, change your flight plan in your neighborhood, or start swapping out parts. I had a similar problem, and I arranged to keep my bike at a friend's house 6 blocks away. Worked like a charm!

Back