9th Bike, First Busa...

JokerUBMC

Registered
Hi everyone,

I'm Joker. New to the board, but not sportbikes. I currently own a 2006 Kawi ZX-10, a 1999 Suzuki TL100R (My First Love), and I just recently purchased a 2002 Suzuki Hayabusa. Found her on a message board where a guy was selling her with only 3100 miles. I couldn't resist jumping at the bike. She's gonna need a little TLC, but she's actually in VERY good condition.

I'm new to Busas and I've been riding Kawi's more consistently than anything else for the past three years. Any tips, tricks, or things to look out for on the Busa?

Looking forward to sharing with you guys and if you're ever in the Charlotte area, give me a shout. We can bend a few corners.

With a 12 year old bike and only 3100 miles I will assume that the tires are original.
Tires that old may be hard (probably) and the grip they can provide is going to be limited.
So if that is the case I would change the tires ASAP.

The kick stand mod is something that I would do ASAP if it's not been done.

Post a picture if you can and it will be easier for us to give you advice.

Oh yeah, most definitely. Tires, sprockets, chain, and probably rotors are the first things that are getting changed. A good tune up and fluid replacement are on the list too.

:rulez:

Plenty of good info on this forum :thumbsup: just plan on spending hours @ a time reading thru the threads on here and taking notes. You can literally modify this bike to no end....only the sky is the limit :laugh:

Post up a pic of your busa and that TL!! A Lot of us are Big Big fans of the TL 1000R :beerchug:

Yeah, she's slammed. Stretched 6 inches too. This is more of my Sunday Ride/Showpiece/Bike Night @ Twin Peaks or Hooters Bike. My ZX-10 is my speed demon. My TL is simply my first love, so I just want her running and sounding good.

So what is the story of your bike being red? I did't think they came that color in 2002.
Are you sure there was no damage to it before you bought it? Could have been repainted
after a major repair.

Are you shorter in height? Or was the previous owner?
That bike has been lowered to the max from the image you posted.

The more that I look at your picture the more I think it might have been repaired or
a lot of cosmetic mods have been done.

Here is what I see:

The fairing sticker is black and does not say the word Hayabusa.
Factory one is silver and larger than the one on your bike.
The turn signal lenes are clear on yours but were amber from the factory.
From the factory the name SUZUKI is above the headlight but not on yours.
The wheels on most stock bikes (02) should have been black but yours look silver.
And you have an after market exhaust, and a non stock windscreen.

So I'm just saying that it is possible that all that stuff was changed after an accident or repair.

Then again maybe you don't care but you said you were new to Busa's so I just thought I would let you know.

Oh yeah, I'm aware of that. It's been dropped. I knew that from the jump.

The previous owner had it lowered in the front with lowering straps and 2 inches in the rear with links. I'm removing the straps and keeping the links
The wheels are from a Tiller.
The graphics are all kinds of jacked up.
The exhaust is a shorty pipe.
I have to take a second look at those signal lenses. I think I'll be changing those anyway.

I knew something was wrong when I saw the fairly consistent and even "orange peel" all over the paint job. So I asked the guy and he let me know it all. Oh yeah, previous owner did the blasphemous act of putting a Harley Davidson decal on the stator cover....

I've already started "righting the ship" per se:
I dropped it off for new paint today. (Keeping it red)
I've ordered a black swing arm and roaring toyz extensions to maintain the look.
I've got Chrome wheels on the way.
New decals on the way
New grips
New levers
I'm looking for a Corbin seat or gel pad now. (The proverbial needle in a haystack. Lol)
New rotors
New chain
New sprockets
Tune up and oil change.
New HID bulb going in.

It should look like a fairly different bike by the end of next week.

Thanks for the feedback though, you definitely gave me something to think about with those turn signals.

Oh yeah, I'm aware of that. It's been dropped. I knew that from the jump.

The previous owner had it lowered in the front with lowering straps and 2 inches in the rear with links. I'm removing the straps and keeping the links
The wheels are from a Tiller.
The graphics are all kinds of jacked up.
The exhaust is a shorty pipe.
I have to take a second look at those signal lenses. I think I'll be changing those anyway.

I knew something was wrong when I saw the fairly consistent and even "orange peel" all over the paint job. So I asked the guy and he let me know it all. Oh yeah, previous owner did the blasphemous act of putting a Harley Davidson decal on the stator cover....

I've already started "righting the ship" per se:
I dropped it off for new paint today. (Keeping it red)
I've ordered a black swing arm and roaring toyz extensions to maintain the look.
I've got Chrome wheels on the way.
New decals on the way
New grips
New levers
I'm looking for a Corbin seat or gel pad now. (The proverbial needle in a haystack. Lol)
New rotors
New chain
New sprockets
Tune up and oil change.
New HID bulb going in.

It should look like a fairly different bike by the end of next week.

Thanks for the feedback though, you definitely gave me something to think about with those turn signals.

No problem.

I assume you also knew/know that the screws to hold the farings on are silver and not black.

I hope you got a killer deal on it, as you are having to do a fair amount of work to right the ship.
Did he lower the price after he told you ALL? Makes me wonder if you have Chinese fairings and not OEM.
If OEM any splits or bondo work you can see on the inside of the fairings?

If you raise the bike back up you MAY need a different kick stand too.

New grips and levers? Might as well do heli bars while your at it. Most guys (including me) think they help some and are worth it.

Did you get the grab handle with the bike? If so you might want to do the hump mod so the handle can stay on with the hump on.

The reservoir covers for the clutch and front brake are black form the factory - just so you know.

Going with the same red color? I would have been temped to go a little darker - then it might look more like a 07. :laugh:

Good luck with all the changes. Post pics of the progress if you can.

No problem.

I assume you also knew/know that the screws to hold the farings on are silver and not black.

I hope you got a killer deal on it, as you are having to do a fair amount of work to right the ship.
Did he lower the price after he told you ALL? Makes me wonder if you have Chinese fairings and not OEM.
If OEM any splits or bondo work you can see on the inside of the fairings?

If you raise the bike back up you MAY need a different kick stand too.

New grips and levers? Might as well do heli bars while your at it. Most guys (including me) think they help some and are worth it.

Did you get the grab handle with the bike? If so you might want to do the hump mod so the handle can stay on with the hump on.

The reservoir covers for the clutch and front brake are black form the factory - just so you know.

Going with the same red color? I would have been temped to go a little darker - then it might look more like a 07. :laugh:

Good luck with all the changes. Post pics of the progress if you can.

The deal was DEFINITELY worth it. The guy really just couldn't ride anymore and it had been sitting in his garage for a year and a half or something like that. The fairings are OEM and the only patch work was on the nose fairing near the rearview mirror.

As far as the kickstand goes, right now it's good to go. I'm leaving it lowered in the rear and just taking the straps off. I don't plan on drag racing any time soon, so those will just go in storage with the rest of the random bike parts I've got. LOL

I traded the original grab bars for chrome ones that I liked. I'm gonna search for the hump mod on here. If it's anything like the one I did for my TL, it's definitely going to be necessary.

I've read a little about guys liking the heli bars for sport touring and comfort. Is it just a good overall mod to have to your stock bars for just your regular Sunday rides too?

The bike should be reasonably close to complete on Wednesday. When i get her back, I'll be sure to post a few photos.

Back