99 Fuel Pump Question

jphillips

Registered
Hey guys, I have my 99 apart for mtc. Specifically fuel pump.

When it came apart the gasket had a sealer on it.

I'm pretty sure this was done by a pro as there were recalls in 99 (I am specuulating here).

The manual says put engine oil on the new one as I rebuild.

Fair enough - but why would a shop have put sealer? (you can see traces still in the grove - tuff stuff got most of it out with 3M general purpose adhesive remover and a Q-Tip)

Oh yeah, one last thing. I alread have viewed and really really appreciate DENON970's coverage of the 99 fuel pump rebuild - but he didn't say either way.

101_0836.jpg

I've turned out to be a bit if an expert on these pumps having burned out 3 of them and rebuilt 2 of them, I have never come across or applied any sort of sealer to these at all, now have an upgrade with internal pump and no more problems with fuel, good luck - paul

Not sure why mine has sealer, but my tank was painted before i got the bike so my guess is th o-ring was a little flat and leaked.

Thanks guys. I have new o-rings so I'll leave it bare. Interesting, when I bought the bike the idle speed adjust thumb-cable-screw would short and blow a fuse! There was current running around the outter housing of the fuel pump casing (99 external). So a few years later (ie. now) I have the thing apart and I find this pinched wire (pic below). My work around was to put shrink tube the length of the adjuster but it's nice to get to and correct root cause.

101_0829.jpg

I did the exact same thing the first time I opened and closed one of these pumps. After I did this I started using rubber tube and then heated it on to the wire (works like shrinkwrap) just for extra piece of mind, never chaffed a wire inside a pump again so I think its a good idea to do it.

agreed, but also the plastic shroud I believe is designed to capture the wires to avoid the pinch. I suspect the last rebuild the tech had the wire on the outside of the shroud. Two pics of my theory (1) correct (2) risky

101_0842.jpg

101_0843.jpg

Back