99 fuel filter mod

mitchluv1

Registered
ok before everyone come out with the do a SEARCH reply, i did already. here's my question(s) First off what all parts are involved with this mod. Please give specific I really want to do this cause I'm thinking this is the root of all evils. I cant take another summer of hoping she'll start up. Next is there anyone close to the ft campbell area willing to help out with this. I'm ok with a wrench but if you have experence with this it'll make life a lil'more enjoyable.

on stand-by for all replies.

It's really easy man. There's some pretty decent pictures / walkthroughs if you search.

The first time I did this, I left the tank on...

It's MUCH easier to pull the pump with the tank off.

You will need a decent length of fuel line.. The big O ring that will be swollen and refuse to go back into the fuel pump, and a Fuel Filter from a non wussy fuel injected car, I Think it needs to handle like 44psi?

Oh, and you will want a 10mm socket to remove the bracket from the back of the motor, yes they have phillips heads on them, but the fuel pump is in the way to get a screwdriver to a few of them.

yeah, i been doing alot of reading here about the mod. but still kinda nervous bout this i just dont want to jack anything up.

yeah, i been doing alot of reading here about the mod. but still kinda nervous bout this i just dont want to jack anything up.

When you take the part held on by 2 screws off the top of the pump, don't lose the little screen in there. It pushes out from the inside of the pump. You will want to take that out and clean it (the screen).

There is a spring, flat screen plate, and a filter... I just tossed that stuff in the trash. To get to that stuff, there is a flat round brown disc that holds it in, and it's really hard to get out. Very very carefully I went in a circle around it with a small flat screwdriver to pry it out. That is the piece you will need to replace the o ring on.

There is a cylinder that slides into that piece from the other side with a small o-ring and a small plastic cylinder that slips over that cylinder, careful not to lose those pieces either, and take note of which way the cylinder slides over the smaller cylinder.. there is a beveled edge on one side that the o-ring sets in.

That's about all I can think of to really watch out for.

Back