'99 fuel filter mod

moloko

Banned
Did some searching, have some questions, things I want to clarify.

-High pressure external fuel filter 40+ psi located on the output side of the pump.

-Proper clamps for fuel injection use.

-Should do away with the spring and stock filter, just leave it empty.

-Should I also ditch the other screens inside the pump since they're likely to get clogged up, causing me to pull the pump again to clean it anyway?

-These #'s for O-rings... are they standardized sizing, IE: can I go to autozone and tell them I need a #27 O-Ring and expect to get the right part? This would imply the # listed from the post I took this from indicates the O-Ring designation.
#10A filter $41.19
#3 o ring $14.82
#6 packing $16.71
#8 o ring $14.09
#27 o ring $5.94

The bike is occasionally hard to start, and has died on me after riding for several hours at stop lights, and been really hard to start after, and has sputtered a few times shifting hard through gears, or in first when I cut throttle to nose dive and nail it on it's way up to lift the front wheel (which by the way is really scary when you expect power, get none, and then get a lot when you aren't expecting it).

I'm suspecting the '99's craptacular fuel pump as the usual suspect and I'm wanting to tear it down, clean it, gut it, and do an external clear filter to make it ezpz to diagnose and replace the next time.

Back