99' Busa Tuning...what do I need?

Shinobi'sZ

Registered
I think I found a shop that does dyno tuning. I purchased a full exhaust system..pair valve block offs, and am contemplating doing the small air box mod. After I install I have to get it tuned. What do I need to put on the bike to get it tuned? Which PC...or is there an ECU editor like for cars?

Thanks

I would ask that dyno shop what the TUNER is most experienced/proficient with. Then buy that.

I would ask that dyno shop what the TUNER is most experienced/proficient with. Then buy that.
they told me they use the dyno with a power commander to tune.

ECU Editor
boostbysmith.com - Home
It does everything!
You'll have to convert to an 02 to 07 ecu and stator to use it though, but deffinately worth doing!:beerchug:

I appreciate the info but not sure that I want to start doing ecu swaps, at least not yet.

they told me they use the dyno with a power commander to tune.
I appreciate the info but not sure that I want to start doing ecu swaps, at least not yet.

The PC may be a safe bet you you then. The ECU editor is a tuning software which allows you to reflash your factory ECU (no swaps involved).

What type of exhaust did you buy ? Some of the aftermarket exhaust systems really don't make enough difference to fool with, but if you got a decent exhaust system go with the PC.

The PC may be a safe bet you you then. The ECU editor is a tuning software which allows you to reflash your factory ECU (no swaps involved).
OK I will go PC...but which one do I buy?

What type of exhaust did you buy ? Some of the aftermarket exhaust systems really don't make enough difference to fool with, but if you got a decent exhaust system go with the PC.

I went with the Tsukigi Oval Full SS system.

they make good stuff, I'd have to check their website for expected HP gain. look at dynojet's website as far as what to use or give them a call. They will load a base map if they have it for your bike that will put you close.

for sure get a tune....you wont be sorry...thats some pretty decent exhaust. should make some good power off a tune.

they make good stuff, I'd have to check their website for expected HP gain. look at dynojet's website as far as what to use or give them a call. They will load a base map if they have it for your bike that will put you close.
Will do thanks for the tip...I am mechanically inclined but a noob on this bike and tuning. My last street bike was an 89 Gixxer 750 lol...sold in 90'. We just did jet kits and exhaust back then...or spend the big bucks and get the heads ported. Thinking about what you said I went to Tsukigi Racing's website and they had a MAP for an 07..hopefully it will work for a 99.

for sure get a tune....you wont be sorry...thats some pretty decent exhaust. should make some good power off a tune.

I did a lot of checking and asking on this forum about exhaust. I was down to Brocks (a forum favorite), HMF low mounts, or Vance & Hines Header with choice of can. But the Tsukigi was tested at Suzuka, and I went to Suzuka via Bullet Train when I was stationed in Japan and took the course class and road it. If the Tsukigi is hand built as advertised in Japan and tested for 24 hours at Suzuka..it has to be some bad ass exhaust. Plus I got it for 1/2 the price. So it was a no brainer even if it makes 1 hp less than Brocks. lol.

I just need to concentrate on a tune and the last big question...is the small box mod a good performance mod? Seems like it would be, but there was some guys on the sticky who looked like they tracked their bike stating it didn't work for me...so it kind of confused me. I know if I do it I will do it before the MAP is made.

BTW the color on your Bike is sick. That meant bad ass back in the 80's. lol.

'99-'07 should be the same. Best of luck. Greg (GPW) was a good dude in my book, but he was a distributor for the pipe.

Will do thanks for the tip...I am mechanically inclined but a noob on this bike and tuning. My last street bike was an 89 Gixxer 750 lol...sold in 90'. We just did jet kits and exhaust back then...or spend the big bucks and get the heads ported. Thinking about what you said I went to Tsukigi Racing's website and they had a MAP for an 07..hopefully it will work for a 99.

I did a lot of checking and asking on this forum about exhaust. I was down to Brocks (a forum favorite), HMF low mounts, or Vance & Hines Header with choice of can. But the Tsukigi was tested at Suzuka, and I went to Suzuka via Bullet Train when I was stationed in Japan and took the course class and road it. If the Tsukigi is hand built as advertised in Japan and tested for 24 hours at Suzuka..it has to be some bad ass exhaust. Plus I got it for 1/2 the price. So it was a no brainer even if it makes 1 hp less than Brocks. lol.

I just need to concentrate on a tune and the last big question...is the small box mod a good performance mod? Seems like it would be, but there was some guys on the sticky who looked like they tracked their bike stating it didn't work for me...so it kind of confused me. I know if I do it I will do it before the MAP is made.

BTW the color on your Bike is sick. That meant bad ass back in the 80's. lol.

Thanks for the compliment man!! the airbox mod works well...i had it done on my 99 and i also have it done on my 02.

convert the the newer set up if you can 02-07 then flash your ecu with boost by smith setup. it saves you a ton of money over buying all the electronics it will replace, like air shifter, nitrous contoller, pc3, and more. air box mod, pair block offs, yosh exhaust. do all your lightening too, marchensi wheels, pirelli tires, ek zzz chain, 4acp clutch mod, and then go see your dyno tuner. you will be much happier with results..

He'd have to swap, he has a 99. Ecu Editor works on 02 to 07 only on gen1.
I know you know that, just had to catch you slippin:poke::laugh:

Back