750 better than 600?

Learn to ride a small bike well first! Move to the bigger bikes once you can ride over your head comfortably! Worked for me! Remember, you have your whole life to ride. Dirt bike experience will go along way on the street! It is never over-rated to know how to handle a front tire that isn't always stuck to the pavement!

I had the same debate last week 600 or 750.....and the answer is....Went with the K6 750
all_coholic.gif

For your first street bike, buy used and cheap.  Maybe an older 750 or 600.

If you buy a used bike for $4000, odds are you can sell it for $4000 a year or so later.  Buy a new bike, and you'll nver be able to get your money back.

Plus if you crash a cheaper bike, no biggie.  Insurance will be cheaper.

get your motorcycle permit. call the insurance company and get a quote for both. Understand if your dad passed away last year your mom doesn't want to see anything happen to you. Motorcycles tend to scare the hell out of moms & dads. Buy what you can afford. You have the rest of your life to go big.

Sorry to hear about your dad.

750 is the way to go for sure. Same weight, a slighlty better fit for a taller guy and about 20-24 more HP than the 600.
If I were doing strictly track days I would get the 750, it's full of shits and giggles
tounge.gif

SMP_long___July_31_001.jpg

I thought that the 600 and 750 were pretty close to identical in size. I've ridden a friend of mine's 600, and i felt pretty cramped on it (im 6'2) so i'd think that would be the same issue with a 750. I cant IMAGINE having my big ass on that thing plus a rider. I'm glad I bought a 'busa. Even though my wife is tiny, I don't think either of us would be comfy on it riding 2 up.

oh, and as far as insurance goes, I think youd be hard pressed to find someone who WOULD insure you on a 'busa.

Most full coverage quotes I got for a busa when I was about 21 were over 5k/year. Liability was 1-2k usually. At 16 I'd be shocked if you can get (afford) any coverage, even on a 600 sport bike.

I'd recommend a mid- to late-90's 600 sport bike. Something like a CBR F3. You'll be able to find one cheap and probably buy it straight out, which means in most states you won't need insurance at all (and in any case, insurance would be much cheaper). The older sport bikes are larger than the compact crotch-rockets of today, so they'll fit your tall frame better.

Like everyone has already said, you won't feel so bad when you drop it, and if you manage not to, you'll be able to get most of your money back out of it.

Theres no replacement for displacement!!!

And of course the throttle works both ways!!!

Go with the 750!

From what I understand the 600 and the 750 are identical. The only diff is that the 750's engine is a 600 engine bored out to have a displacement of 750cc instead of 600cc... physically they should be the same though... (but i could be wrong... you can look at the suzuki website and compare dimensions)

(Busaman86 @ Jan. 31 2007,07:16) From what I understand the 600 and the 750 are identical. The only diff is that the 750's engine is a 600 engine bored out to have a displacement of 750cc instead of 600cc... physically they should be the same though... (but i could be wrong... you can look at the suzuki website and compare dimensions)
Well, turn's out i'm getting a Honda Shadow 500 if all goes well. Planning on riding that first to get a feel for the ins and outs of traffic. Wanted to know, how long i should wait until looking into a busa or other sportbike. I've had people tell me that the busa might be okay because it doesn't have a hard pull like the ZX14. "Not that i'm interested, just need something to compare to!" I was thinking about looking into a busa next year when everybody starts selling to get one of the new '08 models.

Any suggestions?
rock.gif

Thanks!
beerchug.gif

I think there is like a 4 pound difference between the 2 bikes... I would never suggest a 750 for a first bike for anyone unless they were about 210+ lbs.... I'd suggest getting used to street riding before you get something "nice" I have seen to many guys think that since they've ridden dirt bikes for 10 years that they can start off on a busa or something... just my input though .....I love 750's but I've been riding for about 2 years on the street before I got one.
super.gif

"I've had people tell me that the busa might be okay because it doesn't have a hard pull like the ZX14."

You're joking, right? 0-100 comes at you in right around 4 seconds on a busa. If that isn't "hard pulling" you must have flown on the space shuttle recently. I don't know much about the ZX-14, other than it's 1) ugly and 2) Kawasaki. Thats all I need to know, thanks.

But even a the Honda shadow 500 is probably going to have a lot more "pull" than anything you've been on before, so you'll still want to take it easy and grow into it. Best of luck!

Back