70k milestone today. Need some advise on my front brakes.

mysticblu999

Registered
Just hit 70k today on my beater Hayabusa. This is my daily that I use to ride to work and tour on. It's been a great bike and I am just now needing to replace things on it.

The front brakes need help! I'm on my 2nd set of rotors. The feel of them is not good. It feels spongy and then it's like it has a catch in it then it locks the front tire up. I've changed the pads I don't know how many times. So I'm not sure if the calipers are sticking or the master is bad. I know I need some SS braided brake lines. Any advice on this?

I just replaced the fuel pump with one of those quantum ones. My oem was likely fine but the filter was a mess. Any experience with the aftermarket pump? It has developed a whining noise already.

Anyway it's a great bike I'm trying to see how many miles I can put on it now. The rear brakes are great 70k and counting on the original pads!! Lmao

20230731_123820.jpg

20230731_123828.jpg

20230731_123833.jpg

I don't know that brands matter much, but on my ZX10 I went with core moto brake lines, Gaffler sintered pads. The core moto brake line kit runs two lines from the master cylinder straight to each caliper vs. the piggyback from right caliper to left caliper. This change was night and day for me. My ZX10 has much lower mileage then your busa so I didn't rebuild/change the MC or calipers. I also think many folk underestimate simply cleaning rotors now and again. Brake cleaner and a clean shop towel.

The absolute cheapest way to ‘fix’ the brakes is to rebuild the MC and calipers, use EBC HH pads and install Galfer SS brake lines. Waaaay cheaper than Brembo anything and your brakes will work just fine. Mine have for 17 years w/o a rebuild. All I’ve done was install new rotors around 65,000 miles.
Until you ride with a Brembo M/C and realise how garbage the oem components are. One of the first mods on every generation I’ve done and transforms it into a bike that actually stops.

Until you ride with a Brembo M/C and realise how garbage the oem components are. One of the first mods on every generation I’ve done and transforms it into a bike that actually stops

I‘ve heard this story before. I had Brembos on my Ducati and although they worked well they were nothing to shout about. Brembos were on my STSV too and they worked very well. I can only relate my experience with the OEM Tokicos and my experience has been great. Good modulation and lever feel, no mushy lever, and real stopping power, enough to lift the rear wheel if I haven’t also stepped on the rear brake. Didn’t Suzuki use Tokicos for a decade or more? At 65K I went with Arashi rotors which also do the job.

I‘ve heard this story before. I had Brembos on my Ducati and although they worked well they were nothing to shout about. Brembos were on my STSV too and they worked very well. I can only relate my experience with the OEM Tokicos and my experience has been great. Good modulation and lever feel, no mushy lever, and real stopping power, enough to lift the rear wheel if I haven’t also stepped on the rear brake. Didn’t Suzuki use Tokicos for a decade or more? At 65K I went with Arashi rotors which also do the job.
I thought the same about genuine brembos on the KTM til they were replaced by aftermarket Brembos and realised the massive difference in feel and biting power.

Yes they have been using them for years no doubt due to budget, even the Brembos on the Gen 3 are terrible lol.

I thought the same about genuine brembos on the KTM til they were replaced by aftermarket Brembos and realised the massive difference in feel and biting power.

Yes they have been using them for years no doubt due to budget, even the Brembos on the Gen 3 are terrible lol.

Questions, when you say they’re terrible, you mean that brand new Brembo brakes with ABS that come on the new Busa are ‘terrible’? How? And “aftermarket” Brembos? Whaddyamean? :)

Brake master cylinders are cheap n easy to rebuild.
Want instant improvement?
I've had one before but stock is fine for this bike. I have some heli bars I might install so clearance may be an issue.

The absolute cheapest way to ‘fix’ the brakes is to rebuild the MC and calipers, use EBC HH pads and install Galfer SS brake lines. Waaaay cheaper than Brembo anything and your brakes will work just fine. Mine have for 17 years w/o a rebuild. All I’ve done was install new rotors around 65,000 miles.
This is what I'm going to do.

hi man,

see / read my homepager here

guess ur calipers need eventually a deep cleaning

and urgently replace the rubber hoses by steel braideds

and if you do the repl. , change same time to two long hoses from master down to each caliper
the fender crossing line , suzuki sells/built in , is the worse system - esp. for bleeding !

Thank you! I checked your page and I know that's got to be what's going on with mine. I'm very hard on my front brakes. I bet I've had 9 sets in 70k miles. I like to peg the speedo and grab a fist full of brake. Hah. I've only just hit it with a little brake clean and put new pads on. It looked pretty bad last time. Thanks for the help guys!

Now I got to see whats going on with this new quantum fuel pump. I bet it's just junk. After a few mins it starts screaming. Bike runs fine though. I'll probably just throw the stock one back in.

Questions, when you say they’re terrible, you mean that brand new Brembo brakes with ABS that come on the new Busa are ‘terrible’? How? And “aftermarket” Brembos? Whaddyamean? :)
Jumping from my 08 with aftermarket billet brembo’s to the Gen 3, the initial bite was poor and felt like more braking needed to be applied. The only difference between both bikes is the caliper and disc, all other components are exactly the same.

Brake master cylinders are cheap n easy to rebuild.
Want instant improvement?

yeah
the radial version of a 17 mm brake pump reduces the force required by a good 30% compared to the 5/8" original ,
want to say - with the same effort you have about 30% more braking power.

i would not recommend the 19 for street use - its effect is too aggressive - but for the race circuit the 19 is a good choice.
experiences ?
yes - my own and those of good friends - one of them even had an accident because of this - massively overbraked with the 19er during emergency braking on a country road and crashed

Back