43 tooth gear?

Jwilson140528

Registered
So I was cleaning my bike and was down by the chain and noticed some writing on the sprocket. As I was curious it was JT499-43. So I go googling and apparently I have a 43 tooth sprocket. Now the bike accelerates like a bat out of hell. But I've never went past 160. My question is this, how badly will this gear reduce my top end? I'm very tempted to put the sprocket back to stock 40 tooth as I want that top end. But also don't wanna loose to much acceleration. Any tips guys?

Gen1 is 17/40
Gen2 is 18/43
So if it's a gen2, it's stock.
If it's a gen1, you really won't notice the top end loss.
Reason being, you will more likely run out of hp on the gen1 before you hit it's gearing speed limit of 194mph(Gen2 stock limit is 197mph)
That is also with the 186mph speed limiters removed from both gen1 and 2, or if you have a 99, or 2000, then no limiter.
The gen1 should take you to at least the high 170's with the +3 rear sprocket.
Gearing is a limit regardless, but weather, rider weight and size, road conditions, tire psi, enough distance, etc, all play a big role in top speed.
But, it's a cheap and easy swap to try stock or any gearing.

Gen1 is 17/40
Gen2 is 18/43
So if it's a gen2, it's stock.
If it's a gen1, you really won't notice the top end loss.
Reason being, you will more likely run out of hp on the gen1 before you hit it's gearing speed limit of 194mph(Gen2 stock limit is 197mph)
That is also with the 186mph speed limiters removed from both gen1 and 2, or if you have a 99, or 2000, then no limiter.
The gen1 should take you to at least the high 170's with the +3 rear sprocket.
Gearing is a limit regardless, but weather, rider weight and size, road conditions, tire psi, enough distance, etc, all play a big role in top speed.
But, it's a cheap and easy swap to try stock or any gearing.
Yes it's 2006 and the ECU has been flashed. It does have a full yoshimura RS3 system along with a BMC air filter.. prolly will just put a 40 tooth count sprocket on there..

Back