3.5 Quarts Of Oil Per Manual .

At least 4qts for sure! heck what sight glass says if bikes lowered ect ur won't read right anyway..

So this is my 2nd oil change since new . ( 3 total performed on gen II the 3rd was my brothers bike )
I did the first @ 300 miles , and this one @ 3000 miles . Someone told me the Busa could have bearing damage if run just slightly low from factory spec easily if ridden aggressive . So the 300 mile change I put in 3.75 qt , and called it a day . Now with the new lift I decided to view better in the sight glass oil amount to oil window level . Accounting for rear stand I raised the front according to match normal level conditions
sitting on its own tires . Well a little more than 3.5 say 3.6 qt just gets you in the bottom of the window right @ the Low line . While a full on 4 quarts gets you exactly @ the FULL line . I'm not impressed with how
my factory manual say 3.2 no filter , and . 3.5 with filter change .

FYI I am trying the hype Amsoil due to a dealer friend sold it to me @ half price = what I would spend on my normal oil choice . I will say the myth it shifts better ( read on this forum , and many others )
is Bull Crap ! To each their own :)
@c10 I'm glad I read this! Did my first oil change today at 463mi. and 3.5 didn't even register. it took almost 4qts. even with a 12oz. additive.

@Tenderfoot

1. step
the very best way is to fill up to upper mark
let the motor run for ~ 5 seconds

2. step
wait some 5 minutes and control then the oil stand in the gauge

3. step
a bit to low? refill slowly to upper and all is at its best.

my experiance is that sometimes they want a bit more than the manual say.
no clue why, but thats reality.

these 3 steps i allways follow for every motor.

@Tenderfoot

1. step
the very best way is to fill up to upper mark
let the motor run for ~ 5 seconds

2. step
wait some 5 minutes and control then the oil stand in the gauge

3. step
a bit to low? refill slowly to upper and all is at its best.

my experiance is that sometimes they want a bit more than the manual say.
no clue why, but thats reality.

these 3 steps i allways follow for every motor.
@Berlin Germany In times past I would just put in about 4qts. and not worry about accuracy, but I'm being more precise on the '19, thanks!

@Tenderfoot

I go my way with every bike that has a gauge (like busa).
so neither too much nor too little oil can get in .

the gen2 manual says incl. filter 3.3 litres - i had allways to fill in more to reach the upper mark at the gauge (up to 3.7 l)

this (my over 30 year old) way "you" are allways safe for volumes.

3.8 liters to full line on mine as well
Not with the filter it isn't It almost take 4.5 liters to the full mark. Remember most people on here are talking quarts. 1 quart is .94 of a liter. It's very simple. pour your oil into the bike. After your 3 liter or quart wait 10 or 15 min until you see the oil in the window. If you don't add another half liter and repeat this method until you see the oil in the window. When it's half way up run the bike for a couple of minutes then wait 15 min for the oil to settle. Keep slowly adding oil until the full line. That simple.

4.5 liters seems way to much,the manual states 3.3 litres then top up to full line,
I follow Suzuki manual for oil and filter
1, fill with 3.3 liters
2, run engine for 2 minutes
3,wait 3 minutes and check oil level with bike upright
I have a mirror with a extension to check the level,also a small spirit level on the seat to make sure it's upright as small movements make a big difference
3.8 liters puts it on full line after carrying out above steps

Last edited:
Not with the filter it isn't It almost take 4.5 liters to the full mark. Remember most people on here are talking quarts. 1 quart is .94 of a liter. It's very simple. pour your oil into the bike. After your 3 liter or quart wait 10 or 15 min until you see the oil in the window. If you don't add another half liter and repeat this method until you see the oil in the window. When it's half way up run the bike for a couple of minutes then wait 15 min for the oil to settle. Keep slowly adding oil until the full line. That simple.
Most on this thread use 4 quarts
4 quarts =3.78 UK liters
IFF I was to put 4.5 liters =4.775 quarts
I my book that would be at least 0.7 quarts to much

Last edited:
The Gen2 manual says 3.3 US QUARTS.

I think I put in about 3.5 with a new filter.

I also wait overnight to do a precise oil level check because it takes hours for all oil to drain down to the crankcase and if the engine is warm, that can effect the oil volume as well.

men?

the values in the manuals are not 100% exact.

when filter is new start with 3.5 liters .
then let the motor start for 3 seconds and then wait some 5 minutes
to give the oil the time to drop back ´n down in the pan
then control in the gauge and fill up in steps of 100milliliters till 1 millimeter below the upper mark.

and who ever put 4.5 liters in he made a huuuuuuuuuuuuge fault.
the crankshaft then foams the oil like a whisk the cream and this foam causes the bearing points to only be supplied with foam but not with oil in normal form.
bearing damages are usually the very expensive result and that already after rel. short time.
at the end you´ll kill your motor!

even the entire engine was in 1000+ parts and by this competely dry inside only 4.2 liters find place inside including the filter.

the volume you´ll can refill, when oil and filter come new, depends on the time you at first give the hot (60-70°C) motor to bleed out.
i personaly wait 15-20 minutes before mounting the new filter and the oil pan screw.
that way my exp. is around 3.7-3.8 liters (i suppose 200 milliliters are for the filter alone)

This starting, waiting, then checking the sight glass is all BS. If you drain hot oil properly and remove the filter and let it drain, then screw on the filter and add four quarts of oil, you’ll have the proper amount of oil in it till change time. Has this ever (not) worked for anyone? Many many oil changes throughout 70,000 miles has proven this to be the correct way to change the oil in my Hayabusa.

This starting, waiting, then checking the sight glass is all BS. If you drain hot oil properly and remove the filter and let it drain, then screw on the filter and add four quarts of oil, you’ll have the proper amount of oil in it till change time. Has this ever (not) worked for anyone? Many many oil changes throughout 70,000 miles has proven this to be the correct way to change the oil in my Hayabusa.
That about sums it up perfectly.
Can I add, once the oils is nice and hot, don't forget to let it run down your forearm and drop the sump bolt into the oil tray..

Back