2nd Gear Issue

mbw04busa

Registered
Hay hayabusa.org,

I've had my '04 Busa for about 1 year and 1/2. I've been able to take 1st gear to red-line on open stretches, however, second gear seems to get a little powerless ( can't think of the right word here ) at about 5-6k. Never can really tell what the RPM is that's a guess and it might be higher. The bike does have Yoshimura pipes on it but I don't know whether they are slip on's or it's headers cuz I've taking the bike to a local shop that's has a great rep. It has stock front and rear sprockets. Just had them and the chain replaced about > 2k ago. I'm afraid to take > 2 gear pass these rpm's

My $ question is it the gear/clutch/tire or is it fuel/Yoshimura related or am just I losing traction?

try shifting into 3rd and hit it to see if you still have the slip issue...could be clutch pack...when my second gear went it felt like it was popping in and out...not really slipping. other pros here will likely comment on their experiences

When my 06 lost 2nd gear, it it felt like the chain was popping off. If I just took it easy no problem, but throttle down and there it was.

My new 06 did the same thing 2 weeks after I bought it, at about 7000 rpm it would slip in and out of 2nd gear. It will be fine if you shift out of 2nd gear around 5000 rpm. I put 62000 miles on mine and traded it in on my 2013. To fix the problem you have to pull the engine and have second gear repaired.

I might be missing something, but it sounds like you're describing a fuel pump / fuel filter issue. If the bike is popping out of second gear and runs fine in 1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th then you need tranny work, but if you're running through the gears and the bike is dropping off toward high R.P.M.s you more than likely have fuel issues or another remote possibility is a kickstand safety switch issue.

Did I understand you correctly .......

Hay hayabusa.org,

I've had my '04 Busa for about 1 year and 1/2. I've been able to take 1st gear to red-line on open stretches, however, second gear seems to get a little powerless ( can't think of the right word here ) at about 5-6k. Never can really tell what the RPM is that's a guess and it might be higher. The bike does have Yoshimura pipes on it but I don't know whether they are slip on's or it's headers cuz I've taking the bike to a local shop that's has a great rep. It has stock front and rear sprockets. Just had them and the chain replaced about > 2k ago. I'm afraid to take > 2 gear pass these rpm's

My $ question is it the gear/clutch/tire or is it fuel/Yoshimura related or am just I losing traction?

So you've had your Busa for 1½ years and is this the first time it has given you problems?
Second gear problems usually come from guys running it hard to red line in 2nd gear. Is that what you do or did?
If this never happened before I would probably say the previous owner didn't hurt the gears if it's just showing up now.

I agree with the others - you need to run it hard in all the gears - if 2nd is the only gear that you see a problem, then you will have your answer.
If other gears give you problems then something else is wrong.

its not going to feel like its skipping in second. its going to feel more like complete power lose. may even be jerky

Back