240 REAR- OFFSET IN FRAME????

idolan2005

Registered
Guys maybe you can help me. Why is it all the pics I see of the 240 rears look offset to the right of the bike from behind.

I was looking at having Mcintosh do a +6 arm for me in 240 size but hate how they look offset on the trac arms..is it really offset to one side or is it just the pics?

240_rear.jpg

They are offset if you don't have a jack shaft and you will need to grind the frame..Some guys use the jackshaft and no grinding needed.

ok forget that idea.. I think it looks like sh@t offset from the frame. the 300 is out of the question, wanted to do a 240 as long as I could get it to line up in the frame, how much griding on the frame is required to keep it straight?

If not I will just use a 200..

You like the look of the fat tire or is it performance based, because I've read many many post on how the 190 and taller 190 are the best for twisties and how the 180 is the best for drag

how about this..eventually a big tire and turbo street bike.

I know I'll give up a lil for the 240 weight but I love the look.. kinda like my cake and eat it too...Not too big into canyon carving or the track..just get out on the road and ride.

I won't do the 240 unless I can get it lined up straight though. if not its a 200 and thats ok by me..just not the look I would want, but better then a bike that doesn't look balanced.

a jackshaft will keep the wheel centered. jackshaft: an offset sprocket in between the engine and tire sprocket, two chains run off it from the middle of the widened swingarm, one comes from the engine to the jacksahaft and one goes to the wheel from the jackshaft. the offset is at the center of this contraption on the widened swingarm and the tire becomes centered in the widened swingarm. hope my jiberish helps
laugh.gif

maincalls_07.jpg

The 240 with the offset sprocket gets offset in the rear a little but you cant really tell, unless you really stare, when the bike is on its sid stand its almost impossible
Can always get a jack shaft setup but they are around $1000 more than a offset....

(dadofthree @ Mar. 06 2007,22:03) My understanding is that anything over 200 or 230 require it
I have a 200 on mine with no mod. needed.
biggrin.gif
Im at work and can't post pics.

200 Fit on a stock rim? Do you need to change the size of the front tire when changing the rear? To keep the same break over point?

no change to the front size, the 200 looks a lil bigger but think I will end up jack shafting the rear 240 after a talk with Mcintosh today about their arms

Typically they are offset.....it all depends on how bad you want it and what your willing to go through to get it to that happy place. I am a tool and die maker so I have all tools to make it happen. If the spacer you use offset ur wheel make it look offset to the right then you can grind or machine them dwn to make your wheel centered. Other then that frame clearance and messin with the spacers and possibly machining a spacer to go behind the sprocket to shim the chain out from the tire is even possible....I made a .100 spacer to keep the chain from rubbin. welp good luck and if ya have any question shoot me a message.

I run a atc 240 kit, 1/4" offset sprocket up front and ground probably around 1/4" out of the frame, the rear is offset but its not bad, you really cant tell from the back as the tire sits just a hair to the right

From her primer days
newbusa004.jpg

And when it was all new
busa.jpg

just grind the damn frame, that offset looks ridiculous. it would drive me absolutely bonkers to have my bike set up like that. i mean the fat tire looks sick, but i'd need it to be centered.

It's definitely not hard to tell while it's sitting there, maybe riding by at 20mph you can't tell. 240 is the perfect size though

how much for the macintosh arm? i mean a no cut 240 rear sounds wicked.

Back