2024 LE at Moore Mafias

I'm not some kid playing video games. This conversation has moved from high angle balance point and low speed stunt skills into the low floating of the front tire under max power into 100 mph or more wind. I have experience with that. And certainly floating the front under full throttle at a variety of speeds. I think I've only ridden my two busas a few times where that hasn't happened. The Hayabusa stability takes care of you when you get that lift-off. It's a reassuring bike. And okay if you can float that front tire and inch off the ground for a minute or a kilometer or whatever that's technically a wheelie, but in my book only technically. I've felt it, and it's not balancing the bike between throttle adjustments and the rear brake. It's the wind lifting the bike body and 500 plus pounds pulling it back down with an aerodynamically intangible stability. In my book we're simply talking about two different animals.

As I've said, really good verifiable video is hard to produce and find. Professional drag racing is really hard to watch on TV. Even with professional camera operators and equipment you can't judge the speed on a small screen. This all stems from somebody saying they had their wheel two feet off the ground at 150. I'm saying I don't see how it's possible. A few inches yes, and maybe at a 100 or 120mph, but there is a speed with a front tire can't get any higher without becoming a parachute under chopped power, or the bike won't flip if still at full throttle. The relationship between front tire altitude and speed is apparent to anybody with sport bike experience. That 200 mph footage I posted earlier, balancing and holding those few inches against the wind, is brass balls and aerodynamics I would love to see wind tunnel simulation replicate. But a category 5 hurricane (157mph) picks up cars and flings them like they are children's toys. I'd have to see a mid-level wheelie at that speed (or more) to believe it.
Cheers!

Last edited:
Confirming exactly what I said, somewhere north of 150, high wheelies with the tire 2 ft off the ground become impossible.

Confirming exactly what I said, somewhere north of 150, high wheelies with the tire 2 ft off the ground become impossible.
I saw more than 2’ in the first vid, perhaps you should stream that once more.

You can’t compare a bike to a plane. If you are a pilot, you should understand lift due to Bernoulli’s theorem.

Air above 150pmh, due the center of gravity of the bike and the motor sitting on the front for weight distribution will have a limited effect at 45 degrees of bike incline.

I can explain that to you with math, using moment of inertia and a diagram, but for some folks it is more important to try and be correct.

In short, due to the weight of the motor, if you had to hang the bike from a rope tied around the front rim and tire, then blast it with 150mph air, it will actually lift the rear and try to level the bike.

Exactly. It will try to level the bike. Which it does. So the front tire is only a few inches off the ground. At anything north of 150, which was the speed in the first video with a honking Tailwind.

Exactly. It will try to level the bike. Which it does. So the front tire is only a few inches off the ground. At anything north of 150, which was the speed in the first video with a honking Tailwind.
Not something I am going to try, but I guess I have a bit more faith in the honesty of humanity, compared to you.

This guy was recorded at 217.85 MPH, officially recorded and going on record, before he put the front wheel down, past 45 degree lift. Ted Brady.

I have buddies who do that kind of thing, so I have seen it done actually and factually. I no longer ride with them though, it's a group in Raleigh NC, I had difficulty keeping up and let them go after a fatality. So in short, we have folks here in NC who know how to achieve the impossible.

You continue to prove my point for me:

Tony Robinson, from Telford, competed in the Wheelie World Championships in Yorkshire at the weekend and clocked two consecutive record-breaking speeds of 114mph and 120mph, before his fastest attempt of 127.2mph.

Right there in the description. With a honking Tailwind.

Not something I am going to try, but I guess I have a bit more faith in the honesty of humanity, compared to you.

This guy was recorded at 217.85 MPH, officially recorded and going on record, before he put the front wheel down, past 45 degree lift. Ted Brady.
Need to see it to believe it. Anything north of 150 looks like this:
2024 LE at Moore Mafias | Gen 3 Busa Information

For obvious reasons.

Last edited:
Back